What has happened ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sticbowz

What has happened ?

Post by Sticbowz »

Hi.. I have owned a few excaliburs.. A Phoenix, exocet, Vixen, Axiom... I sold them off a while back. Well, last week I decided to take the dive and picked me up a Grizzly.. Up to this point in time I have never second guessed myself in buying a Excalibur...

So two days ago as I awaited my grizzly to show up, I was reading the forums.. And I seen that back in January last year that bowtech had purchased Excalibur.. I was unaware of that until I found the post. Got immediately concerned..

Then as I dig a little further I see many of the matrix owners are reporting limb issues.. Now.. I need someone to set my mind at ease..

All of my previous longer limbed bows never had a problem. One was from the mid 90s with a ton of wear and tear on it.. And up to the day I sold it I would have never hesitated taking it out..

Is the problem with the smaller limbs themselves ? Too much stress over a smaller area ?Or has bowtech ordered changes in limb material ?? Are they pushing these bows too far ?

This is a serious question.. As my son will be shooting the bow as well, and that would be very unsettling to have a limb go boom on him..

Yes I know excaliur has always had a superior warranty.. But it's the thought of it happening 15' up a tree..
xcaliber

Re: What has happened ?

Post by xcaliber »

You know how to maintain brace height, you'll be fine. Additionally, they still have your back with the best warranty in the business.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Sticbowz

Post by Sticbowz »

If that is all that is causing the limb failures I will be good.. Thanks for the reply..
Sticbowz

Post by Sticbowz »

I do have another question however.. I bought a set of REDS for it.. And there is not enough length for adjustment on them.. I'm hoping after the string settles they will reach.. But as of right now they are 3/8" away..
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Sticbowz wrote:I do have another question however.. I bought a set of REDS for it.. And there is not enough length for adjustment on them.. I'm hoping after the string settles they will reach.. But as of right now they are 3/8" away..
Grizzly takes the same REDS as a 310, they are longer than the other Matrix bows.
Sticbowz

Post by Sticbowz »

I bought the grizzly specific ones.. Unless they got switched in the box ? Anyone know the proper length of them and I can measure the ones I have ?
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I keep my string 1/4 " off the Reds. If you are waiting for string to touch reds at resting position, this is wrong thinking. String must be twisted to maintain gap between it and reds, only impacts on firing not at resting position.
Sticbowz

Post by Sticbowz »

Well the instructions that came with them say credit card width between the Reds and string.. And I believe that is also where my other older bows were as well...

Having said that I have read that others have set them 1/4" away..

But either way.. I figure it is best to maintain brace height over positioning of the Reds. And if brace height interferes with the position of the Reds then I will just take them off... Which is where the issue is. At "brace height" the Reds do not come close to where They need set..(whether it is a 1/4 or credit card) And this is what has me worried that I got the wrong ones.. In the correct box..lol..

I am going to call later today and ask what the length is supposed to be on the grizzly stops. And that will give a starting point on figuring it all out.

Just got the bow yesterday and hoping to shoot it tonight..
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Where are you from?
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
strum

Post by strum »

1-/8 to 1/4 is good ..if yours is 3/8 then its ok too . as you know the string will settle and be closer soon. your good man.
as far as limb issues go you have to understand that there are thousands and thousands of these bows sold and they are holding up as good or better than the past models. Because of the ease of todays communications what we see on these forums seems like a lot when in reality its a very small percentage of issues.
Congrats on the Grizzly .may it be a deer slayer
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Sticbowz

Post by Sticbowz »

I am in Pennsylvania.. I just figured out how to add the location.. Sorry about that..

Strum.. Thanks for the post.. I see your point. There are a lot more crossbow hunters out there then there were a few years back. So there are a lot more in the hands of hunters.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I have owned 6 different Excalibur models over the years. My matrix 380 had one of the limbs splinter (not bad). It wasn't a safety concern at this point. I always take the string off in the off season and keep the brace height at 1/2". I don't think you should be concerned with the problems you hear on the forum. I haven't heard of any major failures in Excalibur bows. I posted just to see if anyone else had the same problem and no one replied that they did. I think it was just a freak thing.

Don't second guess your self. You made the right decision by a Excalibur bow. They have less moving parts to break and their service is second to none if you have a problem.
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I own 2 matrix 405 which my sons and myself use often, I have yet to have any issues with limbs or reds on either of them. I do keep a on for brace height and I do take the string off during the off season.. I'll continue to use and enjoy my Matrix 405 , Can't wait to see what's next ...