O/T Canadian Reloading Restrictions Coming!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

10Ring

O/T Canadian Reloading Restrictions Coming!!

Post by 10Ring »

Sorry, this is off topic but I believe it is important to many Canadian members who reload.

Looks like out lovely :roll: gov't is preparing for some crippling restrictions on reloading ammunition;

http://www.nfa.ca/NFAresponse2.html

Even if reloading supplies are not a proven threat/hazzard, they are for guns and so must be bad, I guess.

Maybe they should go after the real dangerous stuff, like the way some people store gasoline, propane, flamable paints etc :evil:
Last edited by 10Ring on Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10Ring
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I reload and all I can say is these bureaucrats truly are an ignorant bunch. To spend even an ounce of time on this rubbish amazes me.

Maybe they should go after the real dangerous stuff, like the way some people store gasoline, propane, flamable paints etc
...you got that right 10ring! :wink: :lol:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Woodsman wrote:I reload and all I can say is these bureaucrats truly are an ignorant bunch. To spend even an ounce of time on this rubbish amazes me.
Yes, here's a quote of their BS;

Handloading in detached dwelling only. The accidental ignition of 5 kilograms (kg) of black or smokeless powder can cause a fireball several metres across. This would undoubtedly initiate a rapid and intense fire in a normal room. We do not believe that residents in a multi-unit dwelling should be subject to the risk.

No more than 5 kg of propellant to be stored within a dwelling. According to handloading tables this is sufficient for 1500 (shotgun) to 20,000 (pistol) loads. This amount seems adequate.

No handloading within 15 metres of a neighbouring dwelling. Again, this proposed change relates to protecting neighbouring properties from the risks and hazards associated with ammunition loading activities.

All propellants to be given a United Nations designation. There is nothing new here. All explosives made in or imported into Canada must be authorized and classified under the UN system.

15 meters! guess you don't reload unless you're out in the "sticks"

If you're in a townhouse, forget it, too bad for your luck.

If you load more than one type of ammunition, i.e. two different gauges, or rifle and shotgun, you can't use the same kind of powder, so you can't keep enough on hand for practical use.

Funny though, gasoline and propane stored in a townhouse garage is O.K., I guess (I know you're not supposed to store propane indoors, so no one does that, yeah, right :roll: ) BUT a few pounds of 700X or Red Dot is a serious menace :?
10Ring
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Since the politicians on Parliament Hill know more about keeping us safe from ourselves maybe they should do the reloading for us!!!! That would cost another Billion, probably blow up on them, but god forbid they will probably get elected again. God are we Canadians stupid!!! The majority of City people don't care about Gun control or hunting, and keep listening to their Liberal brothers that they are looking out for their safety... They need to look at the bigger picture we couldn't defend PEI with our Army. They are finally buying some new Helicopters for the army, probably because they were going to get sued for health and safety reasons with the old ones. Big Brother (Fed Government) should look after national issues it can control..
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Mighty Mooser wrote:They need to look at the bigger picture we couldn't defend PEI with our Army. They are finally buying some new Helicopters for the army, probably because they were going to get sued for health and safety reasons with the old ones.
Agreed

Just saw a bit on TV interviewing a Canadian Forces pilot, he said (of the helicopters); "Actually, the aircraft is older than me, and most of us who fly them".

Perhaps they have to deflect attention from this sort of thing and route it over to all those nasty folks who reload ammunition.

I connot see the justification for it, I have not heard of any reloading supply related incidents, but, this gov't doesn't have to justify much it would seem.

There is a link on that site in my 1st post where you can send input in on this BS; I suggest we do this, POLITELY, no matter how rude we (I) would like to be. Rudeness would not win us anything no matter how good it would feel in the short term.
10Ring
raspberry patch

but why? what is the real reason(s)?

Post by raspberry patch »

I have not read through the reference URL, but just this thread, but the question is why?

My opinion is still out with the current administration, but the previous government's method of operation was to avoid criticsim by doing as less as possible (there is less to be challenged on). In keeping with this vane, then what is the motivation for this proposal?

Thinking about the aspect of property seperation .... I wonder if the government is responding to pressure from insurance underwriters.

Other possibilities ....

* Perception to national security - limiting 'explosives'
* semi-NGO - fire-police departments

I can appreciate the pain of the 15M restriction (though, I do live in the sticks), and discussion of what is involved, but consider why is it being proposed and who is pushing for it?

I have this expression .... "There is the real reason and then there is the good reason." In this situation it is quite possible, the government will present only the good reason(s), and may not state the real reason(s).
gad

Post by gad »

Men,

I will advise you. Do not acept any restrictions regards firearms.

It begins this way in Brazil, and today we even cannot buy or carry a gun.

These restrictions comes to grow, always.

Do something now to stop the restrictions to come, else, you will see your
rights to buy or carry a gun be banish.
cdngunner

Post by cdngunner »

gad wrote:Men,

I will advise you. Do not acept any restrictions regards firearms.

It begins this way in Brazil, and today we even cannot buy or carry a gun.

These restrictions comes to grow, always.

Do something now to stop the restrictions to come, else, you will see your
rights to buy or carry a gun be banish.
Sorry us Canadians are to pathetic to get off our asses and do something!
gad

Post by gad »

Be carefull!
We brazilians proceed this way and we are paying for have doing nothing about that.
cdngunner

Post by cdngunner »

gad wrote:Be carefull!
We brazilians proceed this way and we are paying for have doing nothing about that.
Oh I hear you buddy and i agree with you.

The last election we had, shows that most Canadians like getting it up the assets.

2 billion spent on registration
same goverment spent 100's of millions on their "friends"
Solicitor General found all sorts of incidents where our goverment threw away money!

yet the average canadian still voted for that party!!

go figure
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

If we resist registration/confiscation, and there are a lot of unregistered firearms around, then make ammo hard/impossible to obtain.

You can bury all your firearms in your back yard, but without ammo, they aren't much good to anyone are they?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Spring

Post by Spring »

I'd like to make several points in connection to some of what I have read here.

First, by my count this is the feds second attempt to ban handloading. During the last attempt they tried to amend the Explosives Act to allow the government to restrict, prohibit or ban "inexplosives". The URL refers to a letter from the government to the NFA where they claim they withdrew that legislation at the request of the firearms community (or words to that affect). That is complete and absolute BS. What happened was it went to Court. A Judge said there is no such word as "inexplosive". If you want to ban such things as cartridge brass and bullets you'll have to figure out another way.

Obviously they have done that and here we go again. Any olive branch they hold out called public consultation will be anything but. Consultation with the firearms community is nothing more than window dressing to their real agenda. Bill C68 is proof of that.

Second. Where is Allan Rock? Allan Rock is in New York. He is Canada's ambassador to the UN and is leading the charge on a global ban on small arms started by Lloyd Axworthy.

How the heck can Rock or the Canadian government expect to have credibility and enjoy personal prestige on the international stage as long as the private ownership of small arms is permitted in Canada? That is in part what has driven Bill C68 and why the feds have hung on so tenaciously.

Parallel to any effort to reduce/restrict/ban firearms ownership in Canada, if they make ammunition and any product used in related activities increasingly difficult to acquire, the result eventually will be that people will give up. No guns, no crime.

This is all part of the Liberal Utopia. These people are not your friends.

At the rate we're going I predict they will be successful in shutting off the flow of small arms ammnition and components. They will just keep hammering away at it until they get through. When that happens the private ownership of firearms thing will pretty much look after itself. If it doesn't then at least firearms will be registered making it real easy for the feds to round them up. Registration=Confiscation. Make no mistake about it.

And finally. Canadians are born with a permanent creaee in their a$$ from sitting on the fence. They refuse to become involved in politics or special interest groups that can properly represent their interests. They have no problem whining among themselves or to anyone else who will listen, but at the end of the day talk is cheap, and they really aren't interested in getting a mitt and getting in the game.

We reap what we sow. Let the feds push through Bill C68 and kiss your guns goodbye. Let the feds restrict handloading supplies and you might as well kiss your guns goodbye.

Call me crazy, but I'll stake a month's pay on it. This is really what is going on.

Cheers!
gad

Post by gad »

• If we resist registration/confiscation, and there are a lot of unregistered firearms around, then make ammo hard/impossible to obtain.

You can bury all your firearms in your back yard, but without ammo, they aren't much good to anyone are they?
I can't believe that politicians will not agree with you, if you are organized, and the term "you" represents a lot of people.

Resist as you can, the firearm control is just begin path to firearms banish.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

How many Canadians reload their own ammo? Any guesses? Maybe the govn't could tell us, just like they figured how many gun owners and guns there are in Canada.

Has there been some increase of reloading accidents to prompt this change? When was the last accident?

Stupid politicians, go fly a kite in a thunderstorm!
Spring

Post by Spring »

Politicians are like a baby's diapers. They should be changed regularly.....for the same reason.

Cheers!