It's happened..one week old micro...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Botchio

It's happened..one week old micro...

Post by Botchio »

Sad to say,

I've had my micro for one week..have fired less than 25 shots through it, and has been cocked for under 3 hours. The brace height has been in spec since unboxing, and yet today as I sat in my stand I heard a crack…looked down to see the right limb was cracking right by the brace (thickest part). I quickly put a field point in instead of my broad head, and discharged the bow out of fear of an explosion on route.

I really am disappointed, I bought an excalibur because my cousin has one, and he said hands down this is the best, most reliable, most consistent crossbow you can get. After my mishap I came to see if others were having this issue, and apparently they are.

I'm confident I'll be fixed up by the guys at Excal (I'm in cambridge, so just down the road really), but I'm not confident that my next set won't do the exact same thing.

Blah
Pydpiper

Re: It's happened..one week old micro...

Post by Pydpiper »

Say it isn't so?
That's 3 today.

I see a lot of threads disappearing tomorrow morning when Peter is done with his Thanksgiving.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Botchio wrote:Sad to say,

I've had my micro for one week..have fired less than 25 shots through it, and has been cocked for under 3 hours. The brace height has been in spec since unboxing, and yet today as I sat in my stand I heard a crack…looked down to see the right limb was cracking right by the brace (thickest part). I quickly put a field point in instead of my broad head, and discharged the bow out of fear of an explosion on route.

I really am disappointed, I bought an excalibur because my cousin has one, and he said hands down this is the best, most reliable, most consistent crossbow you can get. After my mishap I came to see if others were having this issue, and apparently they are.

I'm confident I'll be fixed up by the guys at Excal (I'm in cambridge, so just down the road really), but I'm not confident that my next set won't do the exact same thing.

Blah
Could we have some details....

1) what arrow and weight

2) what nock and material

3) what string

You already told us the length of time you have been leaving them cocked, I personally regardless of bow have mine cocked overnight 2 oe 3 times up to 12 hours or so before I shoot them much. I think mthis does condition the limbs, but even if not, it will find an obvious weakness, and the main reason it does set the string quicker allowing less BH adjusting later.... Please let us know the above questions, just for my personal info. Buy the way I shoot hundreds of arrows a year in each of my bows,, my first set of limbs shot a lot of sub 375 grain arrows and went about 5 or 6 hundred shots before a failure. The new limbs have less than 300 shots on them but all over 390 grains. My best shooting setup is with 412 grain arrows..... :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Botchio wrote:Sad to say,

Blah
....Welcome to the forum Blah?....nice to have you aboard...you are fortunate in that you are locale to Kitchener and Excalibur...why not ask them to explain the apparent rash of issues and what is their explanation and then you could report back to us....

....I am sure that you will be up and running in no time...speak to them also about picking up a second set of limbs (approx $80)....

....Oh, BTW...you have a very bright cousin!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup interested to knowed all the component details. I have over a 1000 shots on my Micro, arrow weights from 351gr to 397gr. I much prefer the 400 gr + of which i will be gettin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Normous

Post by Normous »

The way I see it the other crossbow competitors sometimes join this forum just to fan the flame on purpose. How may similar posts have we seen like describing a limb failure in their first post?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Botchio

Post by Botchio »

Sure thing, I'll preface this with - this is my first crossbow, and I have been excited to dive into things, but that being said I am very very new to it all.

The pack I bought came with a 4 quill set up, with field tips (not sure if they all do?) and I was recommended to work with those until I was comfortable and could figure out what it is I really wanted out of specialty bolts, so thats what I did. I also purchased the excal brand broad heads for deer, but have not cycled one through the bow yet. As mentioned, everything is stock including the string. I waxed the string and lubed the rail prior to any use.

Now maybe some of that isn't what an experienced shooter would do when getting new bow, and I accept that. But under 25 shots using the supplied bolts and heads, and less than 3 hours being cocked…should not be a failure.

Sorry it's not much help but I really haven't even had time to get into the bow yet. Now I've heard of splintering and tbh that is probably what you would all classify this at this point. But I took load off the load as soon as I heard the cracking because the sound/visible cracking in the limp quite frankly spooked me. I'll try to get a pic up after thanksgiving din is all said and done.

As for me being a competitor…common I can assure you that I am not..noob yes, competitor, no.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Botchio wrote:Sure thing, I'll preface this with - this is my first crossbow, and I have been excited to dive into things, but that being said I am very very new to it all.

The pack I bought came with a 4 quill set up, with field tips (not sure if they all do?) and I was recommended to work with those until I was comfortable and could figure out what it is I really wanted out of specialty bolts, so thats what I did. I also purchased the excal brand broad heads for deer, but have not cycled one through the bow yet. As mentioned, everything is stock including the string. I waxed the string and lubed the rail prior to any use.

Now maybe some of that isn't what an experienced shooter would do when getting new bow, and I accept that. But under 25 shots using the supplied bolts and heads, and less than 3 hours being cocked…should not be a failure.

Sorry it's not much help but I really haven't even had time to get into the bow yet. Now I've heard of splintering and tbh that is probably what you would all classify this at this point. But I took load off the load as soon as I heard the cracking because the sound/visible cracking in the limp quite frankly spooked me. I'll try to get a pic up after thanksgiving din is all said and done.

As for me being a competitor…common I can assure you that I am not..noob yes, competitor, no.
...I, for one have believe you...get yourself over to Excalibur and maybe even have them step you through some proper bow usage...just curious...in any of those 25 shots...did you dry fire at all...even to the anti-dryfire mechanism? This also could come into play with the micro limbs....

....Happy Thanksgiving in Canada....may you enjoy you family day!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Botchio

Post by Botchio »

Thanks Anthony

No I didn't ever dry fire it, I took myself through a crash course of do's and dont's of crossbow ownership - dry firing being the biggest don't. I also made sure that the knock of the arrow was right up against the firing pin before shooting, I cocked using the cocking aid in an even gradual fashion, I waxed the string, and lubed the rail (as previously mentioned), I checked the brace height before cocking - it was perfectly on the etched rail line, I didn't whack it off any trees, store it in sauna, or alternatively in a freezer. I watched the DVD 3 times front to back before even touching the thing.

I know, you don't care, but I'm just trying to paint a picture of what kind of person I am….I like to know what/how I should do things before actually doing them….so I treated this no differently. I went into the store (Sail) and said I'm stuck between the Matrix 355 and the Micro 335. Both being in the same price range, which direction would I be better off going. I got unanimous micro votes, as the size/footprint gains far outweigh the 20 fps deficit, and was happily on my way. Lets be honest, this thing is slick. Beautiful beautiful bow.

Anyways, I'm not mad at Excalibur…I'm more a little shocked/disappointed that I and others have had issues so quickly.
Botchio

Post by Botchio »

Heres an attempt at some pics - again I know it looks small, but the second I heard a pop and looked down to spot the crack in the core part of the limb I unloaded the bow to avoid anything dangerous happening. Hard to see from the pics, but the crack runs into the meat of the bow about 1-1.5 mm, and is raised to the touch.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

edit: and for those that were asking - the stock quill and field tip weight is combined at 350 grains. The field tips are 150 grain.
Last edited by Botchio on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Well you sound well rehearsed in the ins and outs of crossbow do's and don'ts! I would say you have studied the take home quiz. I don't like how ya got here but welcome Botchio. I hope you stick around. If your near the excel HDQ's I would go there and get fixed up. Please report back!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Botchio, Welcome to the forum... and unfortunate for you to have this happen.... :(

Just a heads up, I believe the stock quills are closer to 400 grains with a 150 grain head.. Not that it matters but just so you know..
Last edited by GrassyKnoll on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Botchio wrote:Heres an attempt at some pics - again I know it looks small, but the second I heard a pop and looked down to spot the crack in the core part of the limb I unloaded the bow to avoid anything dangerous happening.
I am pretty sure that nothing "dangerous" will happen, the way the limbs are built they should hold together even if it is bent in half. Continuous strands inside there will keep it from coming apart, like soft rebar. If that were the case, there would be a recall by now.
I have never heard the sound of one folding in person, but I have heard enough people try to describe it to know it would be a very unpleasant feeling.
Excalibur will have you fixed up quick!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Some times failures mean different things to different people!!

This is one reason to stop back and spend a good amount of time here and you will receive valuable information. From what I can see in your pictures this could mean nothing if your tiller stayed even!! Mine did, and I have been shooting these limbs for a year now, 100's of arrows have been sent down range and beautiful 157" buck fell to these failed limbs on my Mad Max 380.

That baby really sticks out if you cock it, but I broke it off and lightly sanded the sharp edge it left and refuse to give up such a fine shooting set of limbs!!!
50 yards all withing 5/8" of the same place in five different bulls,,, with my failed limbs!!

My buddy never dry fired his either, just made four or five bad shots out of that many different sets of arrows sent downrange. That's when I said let me see them, one out of 4 misses every time he shot those arrows, and sure enough a small divett in the edge of one nock,, changed it and he quit having bad shots.... those are also called "SEMI-dry fires" another buddy loaded an arrow with the vaine folded under the shaft instead of in the groove, and before I could stop him when I seen it he fired it,,,, W T F,,, yes that is also the same thing as a Dri Fire,,, many times folks make self inflicted wounds and never notice it, as it sometimes doesn't show up till later,,,,, stopping here and getting sound advice is free, hope you visit more often now you know where we are. There are many here that are as knowledgeable as anyone at that factory,,, and some that have helped them refine these bows further,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
NFH

Post by NFH »

Welcome to the forum! Stick around and your bound to learn a thing or two.
For the record if I thought my limb(s) were in the process of breaking I would unload and decock not shoot an arrow.
Also, unrelated to your limb issue - I'd ditch the rail lube. I feel it just collects dirt and makes the serving wear more quickly. It also can cause the serving to slip on the string causing serving separation.
Hang in there, Excalibur will get you fixed up and enjoying you new Micro in no time.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor