Forum Rules ??????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Should you have to register to reply to posts?

YES - anonynomus "guests" can create arguments designed to cause hard feelings.
90%
NO - anyone should be able to comment anonymously.
10%

Total votes: 71

GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Thats correct Digger 165 that are registered members that have not posted at this time, but have registered. We have a total of 701 :shock: registered members at this time. 538 members have posted at one time or another. :wink: thats within a +- count of 1 or 2 my math is off a little, really it's my eyes they are a little on the blurry side. :wink:
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

We stand to lose potential good participation by requiring all to register in order to post. Someone who is just surfing but has a question may not want to bother to register in order to ask, and may never come back.

I posted as "guest" for some time although I registered in 2002. I couldn't log on for some reason, and after a while I simply got sick of being "guest", so I reregistered under my present handle.

The problem in deleting entire threads is that it punishes all. Even people who debate civilly are being treated the same as those who are conducting themselves improperly. That creates the appearance of stifling dissent, and picking on minority opinion.

In other words, the whole class is being kept in after school for the misdeeds of a few buttheads. The topic of trapping has become forbidden area because some people crossed the line in their conduct. Trapping as a topic is no more unworthy (as far as relevance is concerned) in this forum than many others which have been allowed. The topic itself doesn't deserve such condemnation--it's the way it was being discussed. For that matter, if people were actually discussing crossbows in that fashion, the offenders should have been corrected.

I suggest that what is needed is a scalpel rather than a chain saw. Cut out the infected portions, but leave the healthy part intact.

Beartooth Bullets, for example, has a very closely moderated forum. Wrongdoers have a short leash. The posts there are friendly and informative. Most are here. Both are good sites to visit.
maple

Post by maple »

I'd rather encourage a civil, respectfull discussion among friends, as I feel we are, rather than an open mud-sling'n jerk-jest. I don't come here for that.

Whether I agree or disagree with someone elses opinion, is my problem. As long as that post is honest, and not ONLY intended to inflame and divide, I'm all in favour of it being allowed (are you there Excalibur?).

If that can be encouraged by registering, I'm for it. Voted yes.

Maple
Allan

Post by Allan »

If someone posts, just to stir the pot, don't fall in.

That huge thread about trapping, well, after page 1, I closed it and never looked at it again.

We all have opinions, some based on knowledge, some on "hearsay", still others with limited knowledge. I don't know enough about trapping to comfortably express a definite stance, and therefore, bowed out.

I agree with what several have said here, if it is a bother, stay away and don't feed the fire. No one is personnally attatcking anyone else here, and if they are, trolls beware of the marketing dude!

Post by Guest »

From another thread:
It's funny. In the thread most of the offendings were because of my negative attitude towards trapping. THAT was the reason, not, that I'm just a poor "guest" in this special members only club as you see it.

If I would have signed up as a new member, your posts were the same offending sh*** like they were in this way.
Some people just can't tolerate other opinions and are not able to answer in a human way.
Just stop provocating people who just write down their opinion and you'll see that most of the trouble was absolutely unnecessary!
Ontario Bow Hunter

Post by Ontario Bow Hunter »

I'm wasn't going to bother but after I seen this post I have to reply.....I believe people should have to register to be able to post also.

Wabi, I agree with most of what your saying, except I don't totally agree with this:

Wabi Wrote:
But the deleted thread, IMHO, wouldn't have gotten so personal and offensive if the guest hadn't appeared.
The reason is because I've been a registed member here a long time and I became a tarket in the trapping thread because of my minority opinion (and to a lesser degree because I asked the question). Regardless, I was the direct tarket of some personal and rude comments in the trapping thread for no reason. I did not intend to insult people, nor did I say anythng offensive to start the problem.

Also, I'm not going to get into naming names but one person who came at me is the same person who escalated the post on the black powder thread. In the black powder thread this person started because of a simple comment which most over-looked. It's unfortunate because there was a lot of good information in that thread but the way it was going down was not all that pleasant to read.

Wabi, I do agree with this:
We've become somewhat of a community here, with many of us forming new friendships.

I also agree with this:

Maple Wrote:
I'd rather encourage a civil, respectfull discussion among friends, as I feel we are, rather than an open mud-sling'n jerk-jest. I don't come here for that.

and agree with this, punish the individual not the whole class....

Hi5 Wrote:
The problem in deleting entire threads is that it punishes all. Even people who debate civilly are being treated the same as those who are conducting themselves improperly. That creates the appearance of stifling dissent, and picking on minority opinion.
No one here knows me that well so I don't expect anyone to speak up for me, but I have been coming here a long time, and I like to think I have respect and show respect for everyone regardless of their opinions. But, I think my days here are over unless I need information on crossbows, or unless I think I can add something constructive to a post.

Cheers,
CS
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

OBH

Please don't play Mr. Innocent......you started the trapping thread......and, it was offensive to some of us! By the way your post was worded, from the subject line to the end, it was easy to see that you are against trapping.......it's obvious you didn't post the topic to learn anything.........that only leaves two possible reasons for starting the thread.......to stir the pot......or to find sympathy for your cause.......

As far as the BP thread is concerned......when someone that has no expertise in a subject starts making false blanket statements...... they SHOULD be called on it! When someone says something that is blatantly untrue......sometimes they should be made to put up or shut up!

These armchair experts usually become defensive because they can't possibly back their claims and the topic usually goes down hill from there.

All this talk about being too "aggressive" makes me wonder if I stumbled into a tea party or knitting class instead of a hunting forum! I think some people need to grow a set of balls and quit whining! Sometimes I wonder what happened to all the men.........you know, the ones that weren't so "sensitive"?

"Hope that wasn't too offensive".......he says.....holding his pinky finger out while sipping his tea! :P
Last edited by GonHuntin on Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

GonHuntin wrote:OBH

Please don't play Mr. Innocent......you started the trapping thread......and, it was offensive to some of us!
Another baby crying for his mum... :lol:
By the way your post was worded, from the subject line to the end, it was easy to see that you are against trapping.......
Is it forbidden?
it's obvious you didn't post the topic to learn anything.........that only leaves two possible reasons for starting the thread.......to stir the pot......or to find sympathy for your cause.
Paranoia...

BTW: OBH said, that he learned and changed his point of view in some cases.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

OBH, I totally agree with you. If you read my past posts my opinion of what happened with the Black Powder thread is clear. Don't let it get to you. We need people like you around.
GonHuntin

Post by GonHuntin »

You don't want in the ring with the men.......you might get your panties dirty!

Post by Guest »

GonHuntin wrote:Guest
You don't want in the ring with the men.......you might get your panties dirty!
Like I said: Paranoia! :lol:
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

:roll: Here we go again ! It's like a bad dream ! :lol: :lol:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Ontario Bow Hunter

Post by Ontario Bow Hunter »

Gonhuntin Wrote:
Please don't play Mr. Innocent......you started the trapping thread......and, it was offensive to some of us! By the way your post was worded, from the subject line to the end, it was easy to see that you are against trapping.......it's obvious you didn't post the topic to learn anything.........that only leaves two possible reasons for starting the thread.......to stir the pot......or to find sympathy for your cause.......
Absolutely incorrect and not true at all. If it was offensice to you then I feel sorry for you because I was only sharing my thoughts, not my "cause"!?!? Sounds like your against pro choice!
As far as the BP thread is concerned......when someone that has no expertise in a subject starts making false blanket statements...... they SHOULD be called on it! When someone says something that is blatantly untrue......sometimes they should be made to put up or shut up!
It sounds like your also indirectly taking responsibility for this thread going sour. As you should because YOU are exactly who I'm talking about and YOU are what is wrong with this forum :!: :!: :!:

I'll bet dollars to donuts that most people will agree with me.

R.J. hang in there because if things like this don't get resolved they will keep happening.
Camper

Post by Camper »

Big yes for me because some people i think may be cowardly and post as a guest but have registered login. It also cuts out some of the Crap

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper