flat nock F.Y.l.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

halfbreed

flat nock F.Y.l.

Post by halfbreed »

Before my trip to wyoming last week i had bought some bolts but trying to find flat nocks was impossible. I tried a half moon nock and 1. not meant to be shot out of a excalibur and 2. Flew like crap for me so after some serious brain storming cuz i was leaving in 3 days i went to the nearest sporting goods store and bought some 2216 flat inserts for aluminum arrows and used them for flat nocks. They work great so far and have had no problems with them or the string being damaged. I have been watching them both very closely. Now i'm not saying to use them over the recommened nocks but they have worked in a pinch when i didnt have time to order the real flat nocks and nobody seems to carry flat nocks, metal or plastic in my area.
Matrix 380
paulaboutform

Re: flat nock F.Y.l.

Post by paulaboutform »

Surprise! You did find your flat nocks. :shock: That's actually true. When I used aluminum nocks I actually rounded the edges lightly with a fine grit sandpaper then polished them with a polishing wheel and jewellers rouge on my dremel. Just keeps the serving nice. A helpful hint, do not epoxy your aluminum nocks in place. Rather, use a low temperature glue stick from an archery shop or even a tiny amount of hot melt. Reason being is that if you damage the nock you can screw a field point into it, heat it slightly and remove the damaged nock. Makes life much easier and the nocks won't fall out.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
halfbreed

Post by halfbreed »

Cool. Thanks for the tip. A little new to crossbows so any tips are welcome. I did slightly round the edge on the nocks i put in with 400 grit sand paper ever so slightly yesterday.
Matrix 380
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

halfbreed wrote:Cool. Thanks for the tip. A little new to crossbows so any tips are welcome. I did slightly round the edge on the nocks i put in with 400 grit sand paper ever so slightly yesterday.
:wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

great info....

I also have used them and found an easy and fast way to uniformly bevel the sharp edge at the back of the shaft a bit... I re-load rifle and pistol ammo so I tried my chamfer tool ( for outside of the case neck ) to remove a bit of metal and Like said before follow up with fine sand paper or use wifes emery board lightly.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
DeathMerchant

Post by DeathMerchant »

So are these nocks for 2016 arrows a slip fit or are they somewhat loose or what?? I think the ID of most bolts is .300, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I assume you guys wouldn't have used them if they were too tight going in. I am just wondering how difficult they are to insert??
Last edited by DeathMerchant on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380 Blackout
HHA Optimizer Speed Dial, Air Brakes, DR Kit, TriggerTech SS
Vixen II (Wifes)
Semper Fi
halfbreed

Post by halfbreed »

I think my bollts were .300 and they were the slip in inserts and they fit perfect. Added a little glue and done. The hot melt is a good idea though to get them out again.
Matrix 380
DeathMerchant

Post by DeathMerchant »

halfbreed wrote:I think my bollts were .300 and they were the slip in inserts and they fit perfect. Added a little glue and done. The hot melt is a good idea though to get them out again.
Thanks for that. Actually, this is a great idea for nocks on other than Excalibur bolts. I have read where a lot of people have made screw in attachments of various types that simulate regular arrow nocks so the bolts can be fletched on Bitz or other fletchers that require a locating reference point.
Matrix 380 Blackout
Vixen II (Wifes)
Semper Fi
DeathMerchant

Post by DeathMerchant »

Well, I ordered some Easton 2216 nocks and found them to be .310 diameter which prevents them from fitting into Gold Tip Swifts or BE Executioner shafts. I wasn't about to force them in. I had some Excalibur threaded flat nocks which measured .300 and they slipped in with a slight interference. Anyone who is using these 2216 inserts, what kind of bolts are you installing them into??
Matrix 380 Blackout
Vixen II (Wifes)
Semper Fi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I've used them is the past before as well and they work just fine. I like to round the sharp edge slightly to keep from damaging the serving/string. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
halfbreed

Post by halfbreed »

Deathmerchant,

Try the next size insert down from that. When i bought mine i bought 4 different size inserts, found which one fit, and took the rest back. Hope this helps.
Matrix 380
DeathMerchant

Post by DeathMerchant »

Well, thanks for that info. I should have done a little more research on my own or maybe remembered my compound bow aluminum arrow days when I knew that the Easton aluminum arrow ratings such as 2216 provided the info I needed. The first two numbers indicate the OD of the shaft in 64ths and the second pair of numbers indicate the wall thickness so it's fairly easy to determine ID of the shaft itself. In the case of the 2216, the OD is .344 so subtracting the wall thicknesses of 2 x .016 = .032 leaves you with .312 ID for the 2216 shaft. So the insert that fits this OD would be too large for the ID of .300 on crossbow bolts. The proper inserts would be the ones for 2114 - 2117 shafts.
Woody's Sporting Goods carries the regular Excalibur rear inserts but they are around $12 per dozen. I wasn't able to find them anywhere else online. These 2114 inserts can be had for much less per dozen however the threaded portion of them is recessed compared to the standard Excalibur inserts.
Matrix 380 Blackout
Vixen II (Wifes)
Semper Fi
halfbreed

Post by halfbreed »

Well your smarter than me in that respect. That was alot of math. Lol. ....i did the old 'buy every size and pray one fits' method. ...and yeah they are recessed but its cheap and effective way to get nocks when there are no real ones to be found. ...or just to be cheap. :D
Matrix 380
DeathMerchant

Post by DeathMerchant »

Cheap is good. I'm primarily doing this so I c an have a way to fletch my bolts using a Bitz or similar type fletching tool. I just took a short piece of 8-32 threaded stock and bonded it to a standard arrow nock so it could be threaded into the insert and function on the fletching tool.
Matrix 380 Blackout
Vixen II (Wifes)
Semper Fi
halfbreed

Post by halfbreed »

Good idea. I have a Arizona e-z fletch but its for arrows not bolts. My uncles have a Bitz so I can use theirs. Since i dont think I will be shooting a vertical bow for a long time, if ever, i should just invest in my own... but then again it gives me a reason to go over and bullsh*t with them.
Matrix 380