Shotgun for deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Shotgun for deer

Post by Shakky »

I was thinking of getting a shotgun for deer hunting. I have very little experience with shotguns. My concern is the trigger. Do any of the deer shotguns have adjustable triggers. What would my max. shot be around 100 yards? I was thinking of a 20 gauge combo that I could use for upland game. In rifles I like Remington, are their shotguns any good?
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Shakky - you'd be hard pressed to beat a Remington 870 pumpgun for value and reliability. You can buy extra barrels and have a fully rifled slug barrel for deer and a nice 26" Remchoke barrel for upland stuff. I've had a few over the years and have never had one let me down yet.

With modern sabot slugs, scopes and rifled barrels I think guys are getting 150+ yard useable range out of their slug guns now.

There's lot's of choices, from inexpensive "Express" versions, through to the dressier walnut stocked "Wingmasters" to "Special purpose camo" models...they are all good choices based on what your budget will permit.

IMHO the 20 gauge is a great upland gun, but you are much better served with a 12 gauge on deer, 3" magnum or 3.5" supermagnum. (Better variety of available slug ammo, & more powerful loads.)

Mike
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

I have a Remington 870 12 gauge with a rifled choke tube with scope , I use sabot slugs. Last year I was confident to 120 yards target practicing with no drop. I had a deer 15 minutes before dark at 150 yards, while I knew it was a long shot, I aimed 6inches high and the bullet took out the heart and the deer took 1 step and the chin hit the ground before I could rechamber.. I would stay away from a 20 guage though, as you will be giving up a lot of power and yardage...
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D Well my 870 pump gun will fire 3" groups at 100 yards...one shot one kill!!!!!!!!!! 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

My experience is with a Rem 870 pump & I would recommend it. Well built & reliable. Accuracy is excellent. Lightfield sabots shoot tight groups out of my gun. 100 yd range easy.
Get out & Enjoy.
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

I have been shooting Remington shotguns for the past 14 years. My current setup is Remington 870 Express Super Magnum combo gun with a 26" vent rib barral and a 20" fully rifled deer barrel. It is drilled and tapped with a Bushnell Trophy scope mounted on top. You can't beat this all-round setup. With sabot slugs, good too 150 yards no problem. The 3.5" chamber was also deadly on my gobbler this spring.

My 2 cents worth! Hope this helps.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
XBow in SW Ontario

Post by XBow in SW Ontario »

Get a Remington 870. Reliable, lightweight, versatile, and silky smooooth pump action! One of the best all-around shotguns out there without question.
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Shakky

I too am a "Remington" guy!

I use the 1187 SPS, equiped with a cantilevor scope mount rifeled slug barrel, 4X40 Bushnel scope and ofcourse; copper sabot slugs by Remington!

Taking deer beyond 100 yards if attainable if you practice and know what you are capable of. A ranger finder is helpful!

Many a deer has migrated south to be enjoyed amongst my family!

I even have a Remington model 700 black powder, a model 7600 270 cal; 1187 12 gauge 31/2 inch super mag and bought both my sons a remington 870 combo as their first tools to hunt with.

They have many lines of the finest quality clothes and other products available at great prices.

Enjoy whatever you choose!

Oneshot.......
Last edited by OneShot on Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
striper

Post by striper »

I have a 3 inch Remington 870, synthetic stock with shortened barrel and choke tubes. With the full choke tube and #4 bismuth (I think) load weighing 1 1/2 oz. of shot, I get a 10 inch pattern at 20 yards. Old Tom don't have a chance! Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
dw

Post by dw »

i had a 1100 remington with the cantelevered fully rifled barrel. it was ok, but a friend of mine at work let me shoot his mossberg 695 bolt action fullyrifled and ported slug gun. WOW it was like shooting a center fire. it was so accurate i went out and bought one. it shot the same way very accurate. i'm not a big mossberg fan but this thing is the real deal.
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

dw, I also own a Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun, bolt action, with vary choke at end of barrel. It has a magasine for three shells. Never trid yet these sabor slug, still have the old type of slug. Haven't shot it recently, but still take care of it. Went hunting deer one year with SSGs, but thought deer to far and did not risk shooting at it, told myself nextime "slugs". But I hunted with my 30-06, recurve, and Exocet instead since then. Choices, choices, choices. What would you recommend?
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
Spring

Post by Spring »

My Remington 870 is like someone else' American Express. Don't leave home without it.

You won't find any more bang for the buck so to speak. :wink: :wink:

I've abused the heck out of mine and it has always functioned reliably. Partridge, ducks, geese, deer, rabbits and this year a turkey. all with the 870.

Cheers!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to take a hard look at the 870.
RJ not logged in

Post by RJ not logged in »

Shakky : I've got three 870's .... they make a great deer gun as well .

I've taken several with my 870 SPS synthetic and I just picked up an 870 hardwoods Mag ....
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

This is not a deer gun but it will give some idea of the performance of the 870.

My oldest 870 is an 870TB Trap that I bought new in 1976. It has been my main trap gun, though I do shoot other guns.

This gun has fired a conservative estimate of 75,000 shells. These were target rounds, not slugs or magnums but regardless, it is a lot of shells. There are trap 870's around that have fired more shells than mine.

It cycles well, headspace is still good.

They are sort of like the Excal of shotguns IMHO.
10Ring