String strand loose...I know I need a new string...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Green380

String strand loose...I know I need a new string...

Post by Green380 »

So I'm sitting in my stand when I think what's that on my bow string...I think it's a leaf or something but no there's a loose strand on the string.
A disappointment yes (may have 20 shots on it) but I have a replacement string BUT my bow is cocked and I'm sitting in my stand. I generally shoot at a discharge target...am I safe to do that?
I CAN probably unload with the C2...
Advice on what I should do? At least no deer have shown up yet so there is that. :-)
Rufus

Re: String strand loose...I know I need a new string...

Post by Rufus »

if it is just one strand shoot it , did you touch it with a broadhead no reason for one strand to break where is it at on the bow
Green380

Post by Green380 »

Rufus wrote:if it is just one strand shoot it , did you touch it with a broadhead no reason for one strand to break where is it at on the bow
Thanks yes it looks like one string only. Didn't touch a broadhead as those are always in the quiver. I did have to put it over my shoulder in the hike in...nothing really sticks out of the backpack...I'll have to check everything over.
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

Put a little wax on the string and rub it in .and carry on your hunt .you would have to loose over half of the strands to be in any danger. Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Hit the loose strand with a match then wax, You should be ok.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
wabi

Post by wabi »

You have a spare string, is it worth taking a chance on?
I'd probably shoot to unload then replace it.
wabi
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I would replace also , Just curious , Has your String got any twist in it ???
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Green380

Post by Green380 »

Shot to unload and that was fine. Haven't had a chance to look at it since but I plan to put on my spare string and shoot that in.
Also realized I wasn't clear in my post. The string has a strand that is snapped and both loose ends are twisting away from the string.
And no no twists in it. Brace height was good, I was keeping and eye on it but while the string stretched over the first few shots and a few hours of being under tension it hasn't stretched noticeably since then.
strum

Post by strum »

Green380 wrote:Shot to unload and that was fine. Haven't had a chance to look at it since but I plan to put on my spare string and shoot that in.
Also realized I wasn't clear in my post. The string has a strand that is snapped and both loose ends are twisting away from the string.
And no no twists in it. Brace height was good, I was keeping and eye on it but while the string stretched over the first few shots and a few hours of being under tension it hasn't stretched noticeably since then.
what kind of string is it? If its an endless loop type then its done ..dont use it!!
If its flemish then you should be ok.
You said you have to shoot to unload. Why not use the rope cocker method ?
In this situation that would be a safer option.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Doesn't matter how short the string is, I would never have it on my bow without at least a few twists in it. I would leave it cocked for a day or two to stretch with a few twists in it if I had to.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Green380

Post by Green380 »

I don't use the rope cocker because I am weak. And my husband wasn't handy to do it for me.
This is the stock string from excalibur and I never added twists as it came from the factory.
Is this the consensus that as we get our bows we add extra twists?
SummitSitter

Post by SummitSitter »

Being that you never added twists, what is your brace height set at? I can't believe that you have never made any brace height adjustment due to the amount of stretch the factory strings go through...
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

SummitSitter wrote:Being that you never added twists, what is your brace height set at? I can't believe that you have never made any brace height adjustment due to the amount of stretch the factory strings go through...
The new strings are made shorter so that they are not imbedded into the REDS when the customer receives their new Matrix. But I still added a couple twists when I got my new one before I switched over to flemish strings. I left mine cocked over night and it still took a couple weeks before the string stretched to the proper length.
Green380 wrote:I don't use the rope cocker because I am weak. And my husband wasn't handy to do it for me.
This is the stock string from excalibur and I never added twists as it came from the factory.
A string with no twists is more prone to individual strand damage. Twists add strength and help protect the string.
Green380

Post by Green380 »

BrotherRon wrote:
SummitSitter wrote:Being that you never added twists, what is your brace height set at? I can't believe that you have never made any brace height adjustment due to the amount of stretch the factory strings go through...
The new strings are made shorter so that they are not imbedded into the REDS when the customer receives their new Matrix. But I still added a couple twists when I got my new one before I switched over to flemish strings. I left mine cocked over night and it still took a couple weeks before the string stretched to the proper length.
Green380 wrote:I don't use the rope cocker because I am weak. And my husband wasn't handy to do it for me.
A string with no twists is more prone to individual strand damage. Twists add strength and help protect the string.
Ok that's good to know will be putting some twists in the replacement string. Not sure what the brace height was at with the current one (wrote it in a notebook I keep in the bow case) but I know it wasn't close to the minimum. The current string has about 20 shots on it and maybe 15 hours cocked. So basically brand new. I was measuring brace height before I headed out usually and last few times it hadn't changed. And yes I was hoping the string would outlast the first season at least.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I usually try to have two identical strings both pre stretched so that if something happens I can change my string in the field and not worry about poi changing on me.

You should try un-cocking with the rope some time.....
Just make sure somebody gets it on film :lol:

Just kidding - it really isn't as bad as you think it is.
I am closing in on 60, 5'4", 150 fully dressed & dripping wet.
The first time I tried it I almost hurt myself trying to pinch my cheeks together so tight. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hold the rope handle in one hand, release the safety, press the ADF with your thumb, and squeeze the trigger. Let the rope down as slow as you can and you will be fine. Jut make sure your foot is all the way in the stirrup :wink: