Anyone broke an arrow inside a deer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Re: Anyone broke an arrow inside a deer?

Post by DuckHunt »

I haven't broken a shaft inside, but I have broken a broadhead with my vertical. I fired a perfect quartering away shot on a doe and the Sidewinder came to a halt when it hit the far shoulder. She departed with the arrow buried to the fletching. As I was looking for blood I noticed something shiny on the ground. You don't expect to see something shiny in the woods. I picked it up and it was the "Pathfinder tip" off of the Trophy Ridge Sidewinder broadhead. This was the only part I found until I recovered the doe about 100 yards away. I can only guess the tip broke off on impact with bone on the far shoulder but the momentum must have pushed it out the other side.

Breaking hardware on the far shoulder is a good problem. Congrats on the fine doe.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the deer!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

Last year(Oct. 30th)I was sitting in a ground blind and shot a nice doe at approx. 18 yards broadside.Hit her a little higher up than planned because she was on the low side of a steep angled hill and she wouldn't walk up higher for me to get a heart shot.Shot her with a 20" carbon Deer Crossing Arrow using a 150 grain Bolt Cutter broadhead.Arrow went through both sides of the deer but didn't completely exit on the opposite side of her.Had about 4 inches of arrow with the vanes sticking out one side of her and about 7" of arrow with the broadhead sticking out the other side of her.She rolled down the hill breaking off both ends of the arrow leaving about 9" of arrow still inside.She didn't go anywhere thank goodness,because there was no blood trail.All the blood pooled inside of her.Made sure to tell the butcher about the 9" of carbon shaft still inside of the deer.He was real happy stating he had just put a brand new saw blade on his cutter.I normally shoot aluminum arrows and have since switched back to them.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Using the FOCs, I've broken off a few arrows inside the deer. After gutting and washing out the deer, I try to find any remaining part of the arrow, broadhead, etc. As has been mentioned, be sure to tell the processor. Some will have to talk to themselves.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Congrats to ya ole buddy on the nice deer ya got !!!
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

2 deer so far this year with my micro and zombies tipped with ramcats. Both broke right behind the insert. Both hit shoulder bone on far side.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Yes, this year's Mule Deer. I'll get to the tale shortly I'm hoping, which will explain a little of the "why".
Short story: M 380, 62 yards, Custom Big John Zombie, 125 grain Spitfire. Snapped about 3 inches back of the broadhead, and all components stayed in the deer.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."