Adjustable Cheekpiece Solution

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shafferm

Adjustable Cheekpiece Solution

Post by shafferm »

The stock cheekpiece leaves a bit to be desired on shimming up your face to be in line with the scope. This is made even worse when you add an HHA optimizer. The cheekpiece adds about 1/4" when closer to 1.25" is more in line to get your eye aligned. I set to modifying the bow's stock to accommodate an adjustable custom spacer system. I used a 5/16" ball nose end mill to add two spacer pockets in the stock and turned some spacer rods on the lathe to shim up the stock cheekpiece. I made two delrin extension spacers that pushed the cheekpiece up an additional inch, so spacer plus cheekpiece yields 1.25" of added height. The ribs on the cheekpiece need trimmed to allow it to be shifted upwards.

Then I drilled and tapped the side of the stock for a couple of knurled screws. The removal of the ribs on the cheekpiece then required me to add back in a spacer to push against the stock. The cheekpiece spacer was turned from 3/4" delrin. I countersunk the the interfaces for the three flathead screws where delrin comes in contact with the cheekpiece.

Here is the cheekpiece with the additional pieces of delrin I turned on the lathe.

Here is the finished product:

It is still able to still use the c2 crank:

Here is what it looks like in use:

The cheekpiece is now up high enough to keep the center of the scope in line with the eye of the shooter.
These do take a fair amount of time to modify, however the end result feels great to shoot and the cheekpiece still feels rock solid.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
j.krug

Re: Adjustable Cheekpiece Solution

Post by j.krug »

Well done! That is some very nice custom work there. Looks like a factory install option. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Looks great. I like a lot of cheek weld and have never thought Excalibur's cheek pieces were high enough.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've gotten used to using a "jaw weld" instead of a cheek weld.... but this looks like a great solution!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

That really looks good on your bow- Gave ya the comfort ya wanted too- Awesome job give yourself a pat on the back !!!!
Drew

Post by Drew »

That is awesome! I am working on a version of cheek piece as well, not happy with the cheek weld at all.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cha Ching, if you put a package together in the Trading Post they will come. :)
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Great solution !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

What a great mod! I love that. You've got a lot of members who I'm sure would pay for something like that...like me. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
strum

Post by strum »

very nice. Thats the best cheek piece solution I've seen yet !!
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Thanks for the kind words, not quite sure how to market it as a kit as it requires a fair amount of machining on the stock to make it work. If there was enough interest I could have a person mail me their stock and cheekpiece to do the mod and send it back after.

If somebody really wanted to do their own stock work I could supply the pieces I turned on the lathe and the additional hardware.

I also modified an Exomax stock, I had to shift the cheekpiece forward a bit ~1/8" to maintain the use of the c2. Need to get around and upload the photos.

Vix, I remember seeing you shoot with the jaw weld at Boofest. Part of the reason I had been holding out on the HHA was due to losing a nice solid cheek weld. The jaw is able to squish around quite a bit more than the cheek. If you feel the bony ridge on your cheek under your shooting eye that comes in contact with the stock, you can measure from the middle of your eye to that point on your cheek. Try it in the mirror with a ruler. This distance should match up with the center of your scope tube down to your cheekpiece height. Scope center to cheekpiece drop. Now I can shoulder the bow and with my eyes closed get in shooting position, and when I open my eyes the scope is aligned, no head shifting required to see full field of view.

Drew,
What do you have in the works, or are you waiting to reveal it when you have it ready to go?
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
hard2draw

Post by hard2draw »

Normous wrote:Cha Ching, if you put a package together in the Trading Post they will come. :)
X2 I would be one of the first customers.