A Little Help Please

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Paparock

A Little Help Please

Post by Paparock »

Hi everyone; I need your advise and expertise. I'm considering purchasing an Excalibur crossbow for hunting larger black bear. I"m not one of those people that has to have the latest fastest of everything as I hunted for over forty years with a .30-06 and and used a .375 H&H in the blow down timber of Wyoming where there was a problem with young grizzlies that had been driven out of Yellowstone Park with a mad on. I can't pull a custom longbow I had made an longer due to a demyelinating disease. I like the power of the 380 to get a passthrough even on a 500+ pound bear, two holes are better than one since bears are hard to track. Too me accuracy, trigger pull, consistency, and not needing a mechanical crank as I am 66 years old to cock it though I am a big man are more important.

Right now, I'm thinking the 380 with a Twilight DLX Illuminated Multiplex Scope because I need the best scope. I'm not getting any younger you know. What do you think and suggest?
8ptbuk

Re: A Little Help Please

Post by 8ptbuk »

Certainly can't go wrong with a 380 !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

A 380 wid good made heavy weight arrows will do the job fer you
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

That would be a great choice.
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

The 380 is a fine choice , I would use 2219 aluminum shafts with it as they are the heaviest grain per inch, and My choice for a head would be a 150 gr slick trick , tuff as nails , fly great, proven track record.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Welcome, the 380 is a great choice. But even the lighter ones will work great. I took a 375 pounder with my vortex, 25 yards, complete pass through. So in my opinion, 355 or 330 would too. Good luck. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

the 380 would be my choice. they are not that tuff to cock and are deadly accurate and lots of power. get you some good arrows and a heavy broad head 150 is good . slick trick is a good one . I shoot 125's out of mine and like the way it shoots any way good luck with you decision . JMO
W.M.
Paparock

Post by Paparock »

Thanks for all the replies! I have been looking at the Slick Trick broadhead so the weight suggestion was very helpful. Again thanks so very much for all the help everyone.