Quick!! Need help to buy ,410

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREY OWL

Quick!! Need help to buy ,410

Post by GREY OWL »

In 1.5 hrs I'm off work, phoned a guy to buy his .410 shotgun. What I need from some of you informed forum members is your advice. This fellow has a Mossberg .410 repeater, 4 shells in magazine, one in chamber, for $175.00. Is that a decent deal, and is that a good shotgun? I'm leaving straight from work to buy it, or it might be gone. I want to use it for ruffled grouse, upland game.

Grey Owl
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

With my limited experience with firearms in mind, I feel that is a great deal as long as the gun is in good shape. If it cycles well and the bore looks good than it would be a good deal. If the wood has few marks and most of its finish and most of the blueing is there than it is a great deal!

I have a friend with a .410 pump and it is a great little gun. It would my ideal for dove, grouse, squirrel but nothing larger. IMHO

Its pros are that it cycles very easily (moving a small shell around instead of a big 12 gauge) and it handles very quick.

Its cons are its limitations from shot quantity. If you have experience with a .410 and liked it I would say go for it.

I would like to add for Little Owls best interest: It would be a GREAT gun for him to use for the upcoming hunting season! :wink:
-Richard-
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

If it's a Mossberg 185K or the in the 185 series, make sure the safety works. Dry fire it with the safety on and off. It's one of the problems I'm aware of with the 185's. I have two Mossberg 185K's.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Thank You RichardS and Moxie for replying to my post.

Well, I went to see the gun, it was in pretty rough shape, meaning the action looked quite worn. I could by looking at it, that plenty of rounds have been fired through the firearm. This guy put about 5 guns in the paper, and when I got there, he must of had at least 100 guns for sale. I remember him with a gun shop here in town years ago.

He had a used 10/22 ruger for sale for $500.00 cdn, including a used scope. I bought the same gun 2 years ago for 279.00 and put a cheap $80.00 scope on it. With that stupid price who wants to even try and barter with the guy.

Grey Owl
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Grey Owl : :lol: :lol: I'm guessing he will be hanging on to that 10/22 for awhile at that price !!
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "

Post by Guest »

Grey Owl,

Have you considered a 28 gauge? I have a O/U in 28 gauge and it's one of my favorites for grouse. Very little recoil, and plenty of shot and power to take birds.
Some years ago grouse hunting, I jumped a few mallards off a beaver pond with that little 28. #6 shot did the trick. Although, I did get a little wet retrieving them. :oops:
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Thanks Carl for the idea. I think you got something there, I'll for sure check this gauge out. Should be O.K. for Little Owl as well.

Grey Owl
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Carl from Vermont wrote:Grey Owl,

Have you considered a 28 gauge? I have a O/U in 28 gauge and it's one of my favorites for grouse. Very little recoil, and plenty of shot and power to take birds.
Some years ago grouse hunting, I jumped a few mallards off a beaver pond with that little 28. #6 shot did the trick. Although, I did get a little wet retrieving them. :oops:
I second Carl's 28 gauge recommendation. IMHO, a .410 has too little shot be used for game bigger than doves. I sure as heck would not use one for hunting ruffed grouse. IMHO, a 28 gauge is almost too light for hunting grouse in thick cover. My preferred grouse gun is an pre-serial number (i.e., Gun Control Act of 1968), single-shot Harrington and Richardson Model 148 20 gauge. It is short and light. Plus, it was my first shotgun. :D