Aluminum Arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pickwick

Aluminum Arrows

Post by Pickwick »

I just received a dozen Executioners and and have been shooting them. They shoot great but I was wondering, for those that shoot aluminum, do they shoot as well as carbon? Just looking for pros and cons I guess
paulaboutform

Re: Aluminum Arrows

Post by paulaboutform »

Aluminum arrows are great! They carry good weight, fly great and pull out of targets easily......WHEN THEY'RE PERFECTLY STRAIGHT! I haven't shot aluminum arrows for many years simply because I found they are not as durable and I always kept new arrows just to hunt with. Even if they haven't been bashed with other arrows the aluminum will simply fatigue from being shot over time. Good carbon arrows tend to be much more durable. The one advantage of aluminum is that if an aluminum arrow shatters inside an animal you don't have to worry about shards of carbon being in the meat. I still prefer carbons.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bubba

Post by bubba »

X-2 on what Paul said. Alu, arrows work great. But i'll never go back after shooting carbon arrows. They just don't hold up to the carbon, and the Black Eagle Brand is my favorite..
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

I shot some Easton 2219 from.my grizzly an felt the accuracy was much greater with better penetration. But I as well shoot the carbons an shoot the diablos nothing fancy but they fly nicely reason I went with the carbons is two lf my blinds I have set up its pretty thick Bush's an such an don't wanna chance snaggin a arrow an ruining one
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

I guess I am in the minority.. I love my aluminum arrows they shoot great but I have only used them in relatively low powered bows.. They shot great out of my Axiom and shoot great out of my Super Cub... I have one that has been shot through 4 different deer and it still spins as straight as the day it was made...
BTW they are so much cheaper and I fletch my own so I have never had more than $3 into any of my arrows....
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Fullquiver wrote:I guess I am in the minority.. I love my aluminum arrows they shoot great but I have only used them in relatively low powered bows.. They shot great out of my Axiom and shoot great out of my Super Cub... I have one that has been shot through 4 different deer and it still spins as straight as the day it was made...
BTW they are so much cheaper and I fletch my own so I have never had more than $3 into any of my arrows....
I'm right there with you. I can't see the point in having to spend the extra time & money to get carbons to shoot good (checking spine, special brass inserts, etc.), when all I have to do is glue in two aluminum inserts, fletch, screw in a point and I'm ready to go with aluminums.

Been hunting with the same 2216s for several years now, and I lose more than I damage.
wabi
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

X 2 wabie ......loose more than i damage...
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Aluminum for me as well. I have been using Easton aluminum 2216 arrows in first my Exomax four years and now my 380 Matrix for the last 2 years. Make my own and so far never had a problem with breaking or bending..unless I try to shoot a group which I no longer do...lol. I just see no need for me personally to go to carbon I am very happy with aluminum and I get 378 ft per second out of the 380 using a 19 inch 2216 total weigh with100 gr broadhead of 388gr.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

wabi wrote:
Fullquiver wrote:I guess I am in the minority.. I love my aluminum arrows they shoot great but I have only used them in relatively low powered bows.. They shot great out of my Axiom and shoot great out of my Super Cub... I have one that has been shot through 4 different deer and it still spins as straight as the day it was made...
I'm right there with you. I can't see the point in having to spend the extra time & money to get carbons to shoot good (checking spine, special brass inserts, etc.), when all I have to do is glue in two aluminum inserts, fletch, screw in a point and I'm ready to go with aluminums.

Been hunting with the same 2216s for several years now, and I lose more than I damage.
X2 on what Wabi said...
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

I am on only my 3rd set of a dozen alum arrows since I started hunting in 1980....I cut down my compound arrows to 20" when I bought my exocet in 08, that dozen set of arrows were the 2nd dozen I bought back in 95 !!!....I was down to 4 arrows from that dz so I bought the 3rd dz 2 years ago....total deer harvested to date is 57, 6 have been by gun rest by arrow :wink: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

plus the 5 deer I have taken since getting my exocet have been with only two arrow shafts and one slick trick :shock: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Thanks for the replies. I have a few to cut down and fletch that a buddy gave me.
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

Pickwick wrote:I just received a dozen Executioners and and have been shooting them. They shoot great but I was wondering, for those that shoot aluminum, do they shoot as well as carbon? Just looking for pros and cons I guess
I too currently shoot executioners but when I need more bolts I'll go back to aluminum. I don't worry about them bending because I don't target shoot very often. For hunting they are plenty accurate and MUCH less expensive.
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You will want to be sure on the aluminum shafts that they are 22/64 outside diameter such as 2219 or 2216 so the fit the rail correctly .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

mine are 2117, the same size Excalibur started with years ago :wink: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.