Michigan bow season, ( where are the deer ) ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rein1

Michigan bow season, ( where are the deer ) ??

Post by rein1 »

Where are all the pics of successful bow hunters in Michigan this year ?? I hunt farm land with woods in the thumb of Michigan for several yrs. This year I've only seen three deer out of 16 days of hunting 8 of them being all day sets .Ive talked to several farmers and there all saying the same the deer herd is down. Sure there are a few areas that I've heard of more deer being around , buts it been a hard year.

I wanna blame our dnr for having almost unlimited doe permits in Michigan the past several yrs . I see from the dnr Michigan had 600,000 deer killed during hunting in 1996, In 2014 that number was down to 300,000 and I bet this year will be less . I guess will find out more when gun season opens up on 11/15 and the thumb turns into little Ontario with all the hunters from Ontario enjoying there deer leases and such.. Anyway I hope your seeing and getting some deer in Michigan ...
racking up points

Re: Michigan bow season, ( where are the deer ) ??

Post by racking up points »

I'm an Ontario hunter that enjoys hunting our family property in Attica, and we have plenty of deer, as many as we have had in years past. Here are some quick stats from my stateside OCT hunts this year:
19 hours-4 Bucks, 3 Does, 5 Fawns
Total hunts: 6
These are typical numbers for me in October.

My only, minor gripe about hunting In our area of the thumb is the absolute lack of mature deer. I have been hunting the same prooerty for almost a decade and I don't even have a picture of a 120" deer, I have never even seen one in the flesh either.

I hope your season picks up and your deer come back to you.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

I hunt the thumb just north of Yale. Killed 2 doe, a 5pt. And and 8. I've got this guy drivin me nuts.

Derrick, you think he's about 120
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

deer sightings and sign in general is down in the NLP also. in my area there is usually a few deer to keep the cameras busy all summer but this year that has even been slow. I have seen 6 deer this bow season but no shot opportunities and no buck sightings during shooting light. gun season hopefully will provide chances to get some meat in the freezer. don't really care about antlers anymore but will not pass them up either. I have the tags so anything that has any size to it is game on!
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Drew

Post by Drew »

I've seen deer every sit so far this year except once and that was a very windy day. More bucks on the trail and than the last 2ys combined. We hunt in Ortonville and so far we have a 6pt and a 7pt down. Looking for another couple does at least.

Looking to meet this big guy in the middle, hopefully today as I'm in the tree right now.

Took this one the 4th hunt of the season.

And I guy I work with took this monster last week.

Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Yea Ortonville is a good are your getting into the Oakland county area which is loaded with deer.Ive been hunting up by Deford,Caro and Cass City area.
rein1

Post by rein1 »

racking up points wrote:I'm an Ontario hunter that enjoys hunting our family property in Attica, and we have plenty of deer, as many as we have had in years past. Here are some quick stats from my stateside OCT hunts this year:
19 hours-4 Bucks, 3 Does, 5 Fawns
Total hunts: 6
These are typical numbers for me in October.

My only, minor gripe about hunting In our area of the thumb is the absolute lack of mature deer. I have been hunting the same prooerty for almost a decade and I don't even have a picture of a 120" deer, I have never even seen one in the flesh either.

I hope your season picks up and your deer come back to you.
I heard Attica hunters are seeing more deer , I hunted off of 53 just north of 46 for 20 yrs plus . Now I've been over by Deford, Cass City area and the deer signs just aren't there . Good Luck on your hunting
rein1

Post by rein1 »

RexKay wrote:I hunt the thumb just north of Yale. Killed 2 doe, a 5pt. And and 8. I've got this guy drivin me nuts.

Derrick, you think he's about 120
The big town of Yale ,, I'm glad your seeing deer , Hope you get the one on your camera soon .. I've heard in the past of the big bucks taken by Yale ... Where I hunted for several yrs by Heiman I would see 20 + deer a day hunting , The last time I hunted that area 2 yrs ago I was lucky to see a couple of yearlings ..Good luck ..
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

RexKay wrote: Derrick, you think he's about 120
Dunno, but I think he's about 75" bigger than anything on our property!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits