new Micro 335 and broadhead questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kuffs

new Micro 335 and broadhead questions

Post by Kuffs »

So i Did end up getting a Micro today. It was all killer deal so I had to. LeBaron had a no tax and 10% discount. Walked out with it for $810 total.
My question revolves around the weight of broad heads. I have 3 100 gr wasp boss broad heads from when I had my exocet. The guy at bass pro said I shouldn't use the as they could b too light and could cause the bolts to blow up do to the weight of th bolts. He said t total weight should be 400gr which is why the smallest arrows need a heavier tip.
I this all true? Does anyone else out there shoot 100gr field tips or broad heads with your micro?
Thanks
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
wildcatter

Re: new Micro 335 and broadhead questions

Post by wildcatter »

I prefer 400 grains, my micro shoots so much better with the 400 grain than it does with a 350 grain, but thats my preference. Excalibur says 350 grain minimum,,, I stay away from minimums,, but its your choice, and 350 is what they say you can use for total arrow weight.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

My 16.5" bolts for my Micro are 277 grains, and I'm using 100 gr Carbon Express XT4 broadheads. Accuracy is great and consistent, and I've killed 4 deer so far this year with that combo.
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

I have a scale an my bolts are 250gr. I guess I can use the 100 gr field tips and broad heads then.

Excal Micro 335
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

With the new Micro I recently bought, I am not considering anything below 400 gn as a bit of extra insurance towards limb longivity. 8)

I'm having Dan aka: excaliber make up 6 new 15 1/2" Zombie Slayers right now with 93 gn brass insetrts, 2 in Blazers, nufletch "igniter" lighted nocks, an I'll be using 125 gn stainless G-5's up front, for a total weight of right at 402 gn. :wink:

With the stress being applied to these short limbs I'm hoping a little more weight resistance will eliminate any limb issues I might otherwise experience.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Kuffs wrote:I have a scale an my bolts are 250gr. I guess I can use the 100 gr field tips and broad heads then.
With the stock arrows you have aluminum front inserts, I would recommend 125 grain heads minimum with those arrows putting you around 375 total grains. The Micro will provide plenty of speed, so don't try to lighten the arrow for speed, it is not the best trade off for hunting! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

xcaliber wrote:
Kuffs wrote:I have a scale an my bolts are 250gr. I guess I can use the 100 gr field tips and broad heads then.
With the stock arrows you have aluminum front inserts, I would recommend 125 grain heads minimum with those arrows putting you around 375 total grains. The Micro will provide plenty of speed, so don't try to lighten the arrow for speed, it is not the best trade off for hunting! :wink:

I'm not concern about speed. Honesty, LeBaron didn't have any 150gr broad heads left. I knew I had these 100gr wasps that have never been used. Aswell as to 100gr field points. I just thought I could have them safely. Can I? It still fall with the recommended 350gr minimum.

Excal Micro 335
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yes, but don't expect the best accuracy that the Micro can provide with the low FOC you have.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I am shooting a total arrow weight of 405gr with great accuracy from my Micro.

After spending all that coin on a new bow why risk accuracy issues and potential limb issues with min weight arrows?
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:I am shooting a total arrow weight of 405gr with great accuracy from my Micro.

After spending all that coin on a new bow why risk accuracy issues and potential limb issues with min weight arrows?
X2
The way the bowtech at the bowshop explained it, the heavier weight takes some stress off the limbs and what you lose in speed will be negligible compared to the advantage.
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

HI guys, I just got off the phone with the guys at Excalibur. They did say the prefer the heavier arrow for penetration and wind deflection purposes but they did assure me they did their extensive testing with the 350gr arrow and its fine and will not cause limb damage.

Excal Micro 335
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The most important thing is accuracy, with low FOC, will not be as good. Speed is good, accuracy is better.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

xcaliber wrote:The most important thing is accuracy, with low FOC, will not be as good. Speed is good, accuracy is better.
X2,,, words of wisdom!! :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

xcaliber wrote:The most important thing is accuracy, with low FOC, will not be as good. Speed is good, accuracy is better.
So then le me ask. My old exocet was very accurate with 100gr tips. That arrow was longer at 20". Were they not the same weight? They used to fling the arrows a little slower than what is expected of the micro.
Last edited by Kuffs on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excal Micro 335
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I'm not saying you won't get good accuracy with 100 grains, but I would recommend heavier heads just to get the weight up front a bit higher. You will be surprised at 40 yards, and beyond.