new Micro 335 and broadhead questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

L. E. Carroll

Re: new Micro 335 and broadhead questions

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Maybe think of it this way ? When hunting large game with a rifle... does a light weight varmint bullet like say a 22-50 with a 50 gn bullet @ 3800 fps hit and penatrate like a 30-06 with 180 gn bullet@2700 fps ? ... I'll take weight and penetration every time where an elk or large deer size game animal is concerned .

That is why most state game agencies exempt varmint rifles and their high speed, light weight bullets from big game use. :wink: .... However, when used correctly, those gophers and prarie dogs sure look impressive when exploded by the 22-50.. :lol: :lol: 8)

Don't base your whole decision on the 3 100 gn broadheads you have on hand... :roll:

I suggest you either remove your stock aluminum inserts and replace or have them replaced with at least 100 gn brass ones to use your 3 100 gn broadheads :roll: or give them to your son or grand son when you give them your verticle bow ( you won't be using it long after shooting the Micro ) . :wink: :lol: :lol:

Several great arrow smiths are here and have tons of good suggestions and tallent. Excaliber aka : Dan W. in the above posts is one of the best but he will never " pull his own chain" and suggest it too you.... Dan is right now making me 6 zombie slayers with illuminated nocks and brass inserts which will weigh in just over 400 when paired with a readily available 125 gn head... Had I prefered 100 gn heads, he would up the brass insert weight to just over 100 and would be in same "Safe and Accurate" weight range.

You can not transition over to horizontal crossbows all the things that work with verticle compounds as your talking oranges and apples .
( Damn I hate that expression but it may get my point accross )..

Bottom line which none have wanted to suggest, is Micros have suffered some limb failures which many here feel is tied to arrow weight or lack there of.... Excalibur will never step up and make a recomendation to the contrary. Therefore, I and others are tring politely to suggest you also increase a bit, your (above the minimum) arrow weight as a precaution... I can't make it much clearer, and I hope this helps when choosing your future arrows and their "finished weight".

Gene :wink:
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

Thanks Gene, spoken from the heart. youre 100% right. Ive been trying to think of you to make use of the broadheads. Especially because I wanted to take the micro hunting on sunday and haven't had the time to buy some new broadheads. I actually listed the compound a few days ago on a local site and I'll include the broadheads with it.
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

So I do end up buying the 150 gr bolt cutters from Excalibur and have also fired a few with the 100 gr tips. I now have both to fool round with and do my own testing. leaving the lighter ones for small game a 150gr for deer.
That being said when I did ask that question to the gang at Excalibur, they said all their testing and Speed ratings were With 100gr tips. They said I can safely u them and not to worry about limb failure. Besides...who has the best warranty in the business!
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335