sitting in the blind update recovered the deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanGrizzlyohio

sitting in the blind update recovered the deer

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

Well Saturday I put a unfortunate nasty shot on a healthy mature buck. The shot came at sunset he was standing perfect broadside about 25yards. As soon as I released the wrath of the grizzly he was spooked made a complete turn an I put it straight through his neck. He ran I heard him crash he ran back my way crashes again jumped the creek crashed an ran off again. I retrieved the arrow with good blood on it. But no signs of blood anywhere.. I've searched two days for him with no luck so hopefully this evening will be of better odds with better shot placement....
Last edited by BryanGrizzlyohio on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
colouredchameleon

Re: sitting in the blind

Post by colouredchameleon »

Hopefully it was a clean pass thru shoot.
Fingers crossed he returns for second chance tonight!

Good Luck

CC
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Those really hurt as a bow hunter, good luck, hopefully he comes back in for another opportunity.
Good Luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Good luck Bryan. You're not the only one this season.

I shot a perfect shot at a doe at 40 yards with a complete pass through. She was looking at me and never flinched the least bit until the arrow passed through her. It was raining and I never found her.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
BryanGrizzlyohio

Was a clean pass thru an tonight I passed on a spike an two does.. An yea it hammers on me knowing I can't find him.. I'm not the guy that takes a shot unless its a sure thing
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
Twilight dlx optic
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nobody ever wounds one on purpose, but there are some cowboy's shooting from the hip no, and again unfortunately. Don't think you fit that category from what I have read from your posts. I hit a bruiser several years ago, last day of archery season on public land, gun season started next day. This was early 80's and we had so many gun hunters then that you had to apply for an area for opening day. I did not get drawn, and you could not go out in the woods unless you had a pass. Well, Monday I went out on my bow tag, and a buddy of mine took the day off too. We looked for that buck for 5 hours, no dice! We did not have a yote problem then either. Well, two weeks went by, and on the morning of the muzzle loader opener, i went back to the same spot, took a nice doe at 7:45 am. On the way out dragging the Nanny, I stumble upon my buck. We had walked within 5 yards of him, never seen him. He was chewed up by coons, and the squirrels had been through the antlers too. I was sick all over again!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BryanGrizzlyohio

2011 I slammed a nice 14 scoreable points measured 178&5\8 was a clean shot pass thru great blood but was right at dark but had a steady drizzle 5 minutes into tracking him it came a down pour. We decided to come back the next morning just in case he hasn't expired didn't wanna push him.. 3 days no luck called a buddy who has a dog trained to locate deer. His exact words was Bryan with the rain were wasting our time.. He said let the buzzard find him for you two days later I decided to hunt my other blind aprox 60yards from the creek area he was shot at..sure enough buzzards were hot on something so I left the blind to look an check it out. Sure enough there he was 15yards behind my blind buzzard had his ass end eaten out.but was able to recover for my mount. But thing is with me is yea i found him but I hunt to eat not to hang pretty mounts.. Is it nice to have yea an is a great convo piece especially with the stories behind the hunt..
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
Twilight dlx optic
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

I had the same thing happen to me as a kid. I shot a big spike, 11", in the early twilight hours. He was standing on a real steep hill and from my position it appeared that he ran back down over the hill and down the trail. Plenty of blood and fur. A few days later we found him 10 yards from where we were standing on that little knoll. He didn't run back down the trail, it only appeared that way. In actuality he fell dead, rolled 10 yards down the very steep hill, hit a 10 foot log, rolled over it and then it came to settle against his back. We never saw him. As a kid I was crushed.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
BryanGrizzlyohio

Well good news an bad news after I made the nasty shot on the mature buck we finally recovered him he's a massive 8 points... We know he's the one I shot do to the huge gaping 3blade hole. The arrow had severed his throat. When he was heard crossing the creek he had made a uturn an came back across the creek an expired in a small thicket next to where my cousin sits literarry 20yards away... The bad news he's only good now for a skull mount. I'll try to post pics but I'm not real sure how to post them... Well tried to upload it wont says to big ill be happy to email to someone that can post it
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
Twilight dlx optic
wabi

Re: sitting in the blind update recovered the deer

Post by wabi »

Glad you found him.
Sometimes it just doesn't work out like we want it to, but at least you'll have the skull mount.
wabi
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

It happens. Last year I took a shot at a very nice mature buck at the shot he spun around and cought the arrow right in the base of his antler. Did he ever look funny running across the feild just at dark with the lighted knock shinning from his horn ...no blood no hair .never did find my arrow. ..Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

BryanGrizzlyohio wrote:The bad news he's only good now for a skull mount. I'll try to post pics but I'm not real sure how to post them
The badder news is the meat that spoiled.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

A bitter sweet recovery for sure. :(
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

It happens to all of us eventually.
Just makes you and I , remember that one, and don't take any chances on the next one we take a shot at.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

It sounds like you guys are doing everything right. It is nice to see that you folks work hard for the ethical shot and do everything in your power to recover your game after shooting it.

I have been extremely lucky so far finding my wounded deer although I have had a couple of long recoveries. I always track for myself and flag as I go. I have had a couple bad experiences with others doing the tracking. I have passed up several trophy class deer and a large bull moose because the shots were very hard, head shots and/or at longer distances than I prefer. I rather have the good memories than one bad one due to a lost animal. The bull moose was especially hard not to shoot as it was under 60 yards on the back slope of a hill in heavy bush with just the head visible once and a while. It stood feeding for about 20 minutes in one spot and I easily could have shot it in the head, but ethically I have a problem with that. That moose was with a cow and a calf but I only got flashes of brown from them. I watched/listened for almost an hour as they fed their way away from me and it is a memory that I replay often (30 minutes later the group filled it's tag with a large cow).

My brother one year lost a spring bear just before night fall and it took 3 days to find it (in no shape worth recovering). He also had a guy start tracking a trophy deer 10 minutes after a poor shot and that idiot kept pushing the deer for about a mile and a half before he finally put a kill shot into it. Then he claimed the deer for himself and told my brother to f off. We found out later he wanted the trophy buck for himself so just cut my brother out by starting to track early hoping to push the deer. In all fairness to the guy he did put the kill shot in, but the whole affair stunk like rotten fish ethically. Needless to say he never hunted with us again. he just started to sneak in to the private land we hunted and poach. My brother has never even come close to a deer that large again.