How far is too far?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: How far is too far?

Post by longbow joe »

I hunted with my longbow for 30 years with a 25 yard limit. So a crossbow feels like i have a bazooka now still i limit shots to 40 yards in my thick woods it kinda far anyway.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
cld.1

Post by cld.1 »

This artilce made sense to me. For any weapon "about 0.3 seconds for the downward velocity of any projectile to become large enough to cause significant shot errors due to target range errors". https://sites.google.com/site/technical ... s-and-bows With an arrow speed of ~315fps that is about 35 yds. I have taken deer farther than that but try to be under 45 yds, My longest kill has been a squirrel at a range 58 yds this year when deer movement was slow. Didn't think I would actually get the squirrel, but figured I would have a clean miss or death with a squirrel and 3 blade fixed bh.

Just make sure of you yardage as you increase the distance and make sure you actually practice at that range and don't make the first shot at that distance while hunting. I used a See All open sight and HHA rail to hit the squirrel at 58 yds, so have no doubt that the bow is capable if the target distance is know and is not going to move. Was actually easier to hit the squirrel at this distance than 10dys because the noise usually sets them scampering, but he thought he was at a safe distance and never even flinched. A calm target is key when going past 30yds. Had a deer at 45 yds turn after the shot and ended up being a texas heart shot. When I pulled the trigger it was a broadside shot, but the buck was antsy and I wouldn't take that shot again even though it turned out ok.
frisky

Post by frisky »

30 yard max, like 20yards better. I like 15 feet the best :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
wabi

Post by wabi »

With my old Phoenix I limit myself to 35 yards.
But 95% of my kills have been 5 to 20 yards. :lol:
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to long shots. I like to keep it around 20-25 yards. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
ccamp200

Post by ccamp200 »

Thanks to all for the comments and advice. I think we're all in agreement. Four nice bucks and I passed on all due to distance. My longest kill to date was about 35 yards and the doe jumped making it a less than perfect hit. I think I'll try to improve odds by moving. Got a ground blind and will give it a shot. Again, many thanks - love this site!
Exekiel 22:30 - And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.

Black Matrix 380 "Meat Maker"
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have great success with a pit blind they work great if you put them in the right spot . don't hear of any one using them any more . a old timer showed me how to make them .many years ago and the work great. I like to get them within 20 to25 yds for a good shot .JMO
W.M.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Personally, I tell folks 30 yards (knowing well that given a tempting situation that 30 yards morphs into 35 yards. ) :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

I've only taken a handful of shots over 60yds on deer and both were perfect kills.
One of those was a 63yd shot with a 45# kids compound on a walking buck that i really wanted all season. I knew this would be the shot I would have to take as most passes of my stand were 75+yds except that eve. I had prepared/practiced all season and knew/marked my yardages to the nearest 5 yds. I was confident in the shot, and took it and watched the arrow rise at least 3-4 feet above his back only to drop right through his heart and out the other side with all but the vanes exiting. I used a BH known for accuracy and penetration(steelhead 100) and knew it would do the job if I did. The deer fell over within 10 yds of impact.

The key for me and as others have said...IF you prepare and KNOW you can make the shot, then take it. If you aren't sure, haven't practiced or environmentals are changing that level of certainty, then it's your responsibility to NOT take it. In the end it will be you that has to live with it.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

agingcrossbower wrote:This has been kicked around here and on other forums. Ethically I would not shoot over 40 yards. After that a deer can move resulting in a bad hit or miss. I know there are shooters that can pick a pea off at twice the distance but notice I said shooters. They are shooting at paper. Hunters have far more responsibility and respect towards their target than shooters do. IMHO.
Thumbs Up !!!!!! very well said aging .... :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

I would like to hear more about a pit blind :idea:
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

it is simple , dig a hole about the length of your legs about 18" wide and line the outsides with brush . now you have a place to sit and can shoot in any direction you want . try it I think you will like it :)
W.M.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I have a friend that likes pit blinds only he can not stay awake in them. VERY comfortable. :D
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

It all depends on your equipment and personal skill level. :D
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

40 yds is my limit on deer. I'd shoot one of those nasty Georgia hogs at 100 if I thought I could hit him.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String