NEW TARGET DISCOVERY

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

confederate

NEW TARGET DISCOVERY

Post by confederate »

I was doing some Shooting today. I have a Morrell Carbon 6 Shooter Target I have shot Compounds at for a couple years. Never tried Broadheads at this target though. I have been shooting field points at it with My new Exocet. It has been stopping them well. When I bought the Exocet a couple weeks ago I bought one of the new Yellow Jacket Broadhead targets that just came out this year. I had seen compounds shot at it and it did well. It didnt do worth a flip with My Exocet though. The Broadhead arrows went in to the fletching. Anyway I was shooting the Morrell Carbon 6 Shooter Target and I decided to try a Wasp at it. I want yall to know that it stopped every shot at least 4 inches from where my vanes were! This target only sells for about 35.00 at Bass Pro Shops and you can shoot all six sides! The target has been in my yard exposed to the weather for at least 1/12 years. I shot about 10 shots with the Boss heads on different sides and different places and it did great on every shot. Just thought yall would like to know about this discovery.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Thanks Confed. on the info. for the Morrell Carbon 6 Shooter. I've never heard of this bolt stopper, but will definetly keep an eye out for it. I just bought a target butt called the Block. The guy tells me it will stop a Xbow both with feild points and broadheads. I sure hope he's right, even though he's never shot a Xbow. Hopefully get out sometime this week. I'llkeep you posted how I did.

Grey Owl

Post by Guest »

Don't worry Grey Owl, THE BLOCK stops the bolts from my EXOMAX.
dw

Post by dw »

mine to
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Dam'it, up to my ass in aligators, still haven't gotten out to restring my Exomag. Thanks for reassuring me the Block will stop those bolts.

Slater, fellows.

Grey Owl
wsmitty01

Post by wsmitty01 »

How is this target holding up? Looking for one for my exomag!!
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Here's what I use.

Not sure how much it would cost to make, I had all the scraps around the house.

It started with just the block, made out of styrafoam panels, duct taped together. I found the bolts were penetrating to the fletching. So the next step was to suspend it to absorb some of the impact, but it moved too much in the wind, so finally I added a short tether on the side to only allow the taget to swing about 4-5 inches.

Works pretty good. At 20 yards the bolts only go about half way in.

I place a rock or some weight on the base plate to keep it from toppling over on impact.

This shows the panels better.

I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Normous

Post by Normous »

I use the BLOCK also. With the Max broadheads stop 4-6" from the vanes @ 20 yards and durability is excellent as well.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

Did you buy just the Yellow Jacket B/H Target block?

I bought the Morrell Yellow Jacket B/H CRossbow Target, its a model up from the regular B/H target (its white compared to the yellow). I have shot several shots 20yrds& up with broadheads on my Exocet and have never had any problems like that. The bolts never dig deep enough to the vanes. If you did get the crossbow model, I would contact Morrell and see about having it replaced. Heres a link to the model I got http://www.morrelltargets.com/details.asp?product=9
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

Ecoaster,is that styrofoam the coarse popcorn type of board or the fine grained stuff? Years ago tried using the fine grained stuff with my compound arrows but what a pain to pull them out! Just curious what they are like to pull out of your target?

..Al.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Al,

I tried a full block of the fine stuff that you can cut clean with a knife and had the same problem as you.

This target has two sheets of the fine stuff and the rest is the coarse grain "cheap" insulation board. I found the two panels slow the bolt down considerably, but don't make it too tough to pull out the broadheads.

I'd have to look at it closer but I think it went some thing like this..... 4 cheap panels, 1 dense panel, 4 cheap panels, 1 dense panel, 4 cheap panels. Then a few tight wraps of duct tape.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Here's a better view.

saxman

Target

Post by saxman »

I bought a Block LOOK A LIKE fro Wally World. BIG MISTAKE
Bolts go all the way to the fletching and are a bear to pull out.
I have a disability in my right arm and need a broadhead target with easy removal. Help me out here folks
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I was getting my work boat tuned up last month at a marina and the guy had hundreds of 30" cubes of the white styrafoam. He said they were end cuts from some insulation place around London Ont. He was using then for blocking boats on land. Alot easier than hardwood. He told me he paid about $28 a piece. He was willing to sell me one, but I didn't take one.

They looked like they would be a good economical BH target.
exocet

Post by exocet »

Good advice on targets!! I know "The Block" has a Crossbow target out. Jack.