great 3 days hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

greentag

great 3 days hunting

Post by greentag »

i frequent here a lot but seldom post,ive had such a great 3 days i figured i would share with you guys,i like turkey hunting the way most of you love deer hunting,i go ever chance i get and while i was off work i figured i would take advantage of it.i watch turkeys year round and this year during the fall season in ky we can kill 4 birds with archery or crossbow but only one gobbler.i went last week and set a blind up were i had been seeing birds alot.thanksgiving morning i was there before daylight with my old exomax and new toy i bought last weekend,a caldwell field pod.there was a group of hens and young turkeys came in about 9:00 oclock,i picked out the biggest hen and sent an arrow at 25 yards,it ran about 10 yards and fell over,i waited for the others to leave and got it cleaned and made it to thanksgiving dinner at my moms.the second morning a different group of 15 turkeys,mostly this year jakes came in about 10:00,i like to leave the young jakes to turn into gobblers so i shot one of the young hens.today they were giving rain all day,there is a group of 5 big gobblers that are running together and i figured i would go after one of those.these gobblers seldom come in where i was at unless it it is raining and then i have saw them there so i figured i would pass any bird that came in unless it was a mature gobbler.i packed food and water and went for the long haul.i got there before daylight and set in for the day,i aint gonna lie that rain made me sleapy beating on my blind and i had a heater with me so it was warm and cozy,i would nap awhile and watch.i hadnt seen anything all day and then the rain picked up and began pouring around 3 this evening,about 3:30 i seen one coming with a beard swinging,behind it was another.it was the 5 i had been seeing.i kept looking at them through the scope trying to pick out the best.when they got to 20 yards i had one picked out,i ranged him to make sure and let a black eagle executioner fly,with a 2 inch wide swacker on the end of it.he didnt even go 5 yards,the others kinda flogged him for a minute and then wandered off.he weighed 18 pounds,had a 9 inch beard and 1 1/8 spurs.i have been tempted to get a micro for forever now cause of the size but i must say i still love my exomax.this is the eleventh year ive had it,only had to change strings and dissipator pads a few times and thats it.it is still the most accurate crossbow i have ever shot.ive been fortunate the last few days and doing it with a crossbow just makes it that much more special.i still got one more tag for a hen and 1 more day off,who knows i may go 4 for 4.
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)
Wisc Mac

Re: great 3 days hunting

Post by Wisc Mac »

Where do you hit when using a Shwacker?
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
greentag

Post by greentag »

i usually follow their leg up and shoot through their wing on the the part were the wing feathers join the solid color feathers if they are broadside or quartering away,if you do that it usually gets the very top of their drumstick,vitals plus breaks them down and takes out their wing were they cant run off if you slightly miss their vitals.i shot all 3 of these like that and it worked great.they died quickly.another good one that works well is if they are feeding toward you,wait til they lower their head and shoot center mass through the back.usually when their head is low it hits the spine plus gets the vitals if its low enough.they dont go anywhere when you do this,plus you avoid hitting the breast meat as with the above way.if your hunting in the spring and one is strutting and has his fan facing you you can shoot right through the bottom of the fan and this will hit the vitals.whenever i shoot one i always try to get the vitals but also try to break them down in case i dont get a real good hit on the vitals.their vitals are small and if you make a bad hit they can get away quick and their not like tracking a deer,they can cover some ground and are hard to find so if you can break them down its always good.i shot one last year and it was with some others,they all flew when i hit it and i couldnt tell which one it was, when they were in the air,i was watching them go over some ceders when one just folded up and collapsed in mid air.i got a good hit on it i just didnt hit wings,spine or nothing to break it down,so its always good if you can,cause when you hit them they automaticly try to go quick.
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well congrats multiple times fer all them snurkys you done killed
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Sounds like a great weekend congratulations !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you had some good days hunting!
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like 3 great days for sure, Congrats on your turkey hunting success. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the turkeys!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

Congrats. I prefer turkey hunting over deer but have never used my bow. In Maryland there is no bow season so I always carry the 870 but may switch it up this spring.
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Congrats .... And thanks for the tips !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks