Old Vs.New

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

halfbreed

Old Vs.New

Post by halfbreed »

I know this is a personal preference kind of topic but does anyone feel the longer limb crossbows are more accurate that the newer shorter limb models?... I own a 380 and recently bought a Axiom. Now i have not hunted with the Axiom and the 380 has proven itself to be deadly at long range for me but there is just something about the longer limbs that seem to give me a " no worries" kind of feeling if that makes any sense... I dont know if its the longer limbs, reduced power so the kick is less, the longer power stroke,... or all of it put together? So much so that im thinking of getting a exomax also for a little more longer limb power. So I ask the wise masses on this site is there something with longer limbs or is it just me?
Matrix 380
xcaliber

Re: Old Vs.New

Post by xcaliber »

I have owned two long limb models, two matrix models, and a Micro. I do think that similar to vertical bows, longer limbs, are similar to longer axle ti axle bows in terms of user control. Simply stated, i believe it is easier to cant a shorter limb crossbow without realizing it as much as the longer limb models, JMHO!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
halfbreed

Post by halfbreed »

I had thought about also and it makes sense. ...and the longer stock.
Matrix 380
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

I toy'd around with the 380, and it just didn't feel right, maybe its just me but ,my equinox just felt more balanced, could be because i'm used to it , not really sure, but i'm sticking with old faithful. :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
SEW

Post by SEW »

I shot the Equinox with Red Hot Arrows, Matrix 380&405 with Zombies, and Micro with the stock quills. The 2 Matrix had everything going for them: 2-8 Duralyts, premium arrows, the Equinox certainly didn't have arrows of the same level, and the Micro's quills , good I think. I shot to 80 yds except with the Micro. The Equinox had Optimizer and 2-7 VXR.
The Equinox was the most accurate even with the Red Hot arrows. The 2 Matrix were close. Using bench rest technics and equipment, the 2 Matrix stayed a little over an inch @ 80 yds for 3-shot groups. The Equinox slightly under an inch. The Micro was 2" at best @ 60 yds.
galamb

Post by galamb »

I don't know about more or less accurate but I do know why I opted for a recurve crossbow way back.

It was for simplicity, durability and longevity.

My first Horton (steel limbs) was replaced with a fiberglass limb model and then finally with an Excal Vix II. And they were, in order, 150 lb draw, 175 lb draw, then back to 150 lb draw because that's "all that I need".

I don't worry about busting a cable or a cam and I don't worry about busting a limb either.

I'm not trying to pack almost 300 pounds of energy into a limb 2/3's the size of the one I'm only stressing with 150 pounds.

For me the move to a 380 or 405 would be akin to moving to a compound in terms of "life expectancy". And the move to any of them would not make "me" any more deadly in the field.

The vitals on a deer is a pretty large target even out at 40 yards. Whether a 405 can group at sub 1" @ 40 and my Vix can only make 1 1/2" at that distance means nothing to any deer that I have ever shot.

I shoot deer, not chrono's and bullseye's - and we are really talking about 16ths of an inch here in accuracy and getting to a target in .225 seconds @ 30 yards instead of .321 seconds between the "fastest" and "slowest" hunting bows in the Excal line-up.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
greentag

Post by greentag »

ive got an 11 year old exomax,still the most accurate crossbow i have ever shot,havent compared it to the newer series side by side so cant comment,but my friends are always getting the latest greatest other brands and i out shoot them all consistantly and never worry about nothing going out of tune or something mechanical failing like them(one day they will learn).mine has been bulletproof,never gave me a seconds of trouble,the only complaint is it is kinda hard on servings,(i shoot alot)but im going to polish my latches this week when i get the stuff recomended on boos page,and hopefully that will help that out.i would love to own a micro,i love the way they look and the narrow limbs are tempting cause i mainly use mine for turkeys and the narrow limbs would be nice but i could never sell my exomax to buy one.one day hopefully i will have both but i love my exomax and i never worry about something failing or if it is accurate enough for anything im up against,weather it be a friendly bet with friends in the back yard or the small vitals of a turkey out to 50.i love the old bows,but i also think i would love the new ones.
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)