Fixed vs expandable

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jpen

Fixed vs expandable

Post by jpen »

What do you shoot and why? I like a fixed because it almost always guarantees a pass through. But a big expandable gives a great blood trail.
Normous

Re: Fixed vs expandable

Post by Normous »

I shoot the 170 gr NAP FOC 170 grain two blade expandable because the 3" cut utilizing .039 thick blades easily slice through ribs and leave very large entry and exit wounds and very short recoveries during the 3 seasons that I have used them.

If you type fixed vs expandable into the search bar you will be rewarded with an hour+ of reading on the subject.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
galamb

Post by galamb »

I have been shooting expandables for years (pretty much since they hit the market).

Since I have always shot slower bows, whether vertical or horizontal, I just find the mechanicals are less effected by wind and require less tuning to ensure they hit the same point as my field points.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use both, i have uses fer both. I do like a well made thick bladed fixed. I also like the same in Mech. n Nap spitfires n FOC's are my choices in mech. Fixed i like bigger Slicks n Strikers n Blk Hornets by Magnus
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I also shoot both...slick standard's in fixed & spitfire's in mechanical. :D
Both are proven...if it a'int broke. :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Guys argue big cut mechanicals cause shorter blood trails, but data records on over 500 harvests that I have processed show there is no difference in average yards travelled after the shot for fixed vs mechanical.

I shoot fixed blade heads because they are simple in design with no moving parts to fail and in my opinion give better terminal performance. I like RamCats, Slick Trick's, and Magnus Stingers. Of those the RamCats fly the best.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Big trout

Post by Big trout »

I'm using wasp bullet heads this year and they are accurate. Shot a buck with them and he was dead within 30 yards. I like it when they fall over within sight.
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

Fixed preform in all conditions. I have taken 4 deer this season with my M 380 using the Slick Trick Xbow 150's and BE Zombies! All shots were pass through but one. It's a heavy head for sure but it's very lethal with a well placed shot. Total arrow weight is 435 grns and shoots well with my set up. :D Mech or fixed confidence is key use what preforms best out of your set. Price should never be an issue when it comes to making a clean kill on an animal. Excals are the best.
Happy hunting
deertrx
Brian
Last edited by deertrx on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

I have shot deer with my Vbow both mechanical heads and fixed. I actually used the 125gr. thunderhead for 15 plus years and never had a problem except for when I had a missed placed shot :evil: I have used primarily the spitfire and reapers no issues encountered except with the reaper blades flopping open when banged around and rarely ever had a pass thru. Since going to Xbow three years ago I wanted to find a fixed BH that flew true at a minimum out to 40yds. My local bow shop talked me into trying the RamCat 2 seasons ago and I got to say they have hammered 7 deer, are they perfect no they are not. They are difficult to take in and out of the quiver and the razor tips bend rather easily. I do want to try the Black hornet this off season to see how they fly.
Bottom line for was I went from a wheeled Xbow to the recurve so I had less things that could go wrong and that is why I prefer a fixed head that flies thru.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
Drew

Post by Drew »

Now this is just my opinion...so take it with a grain of salt. :D

Mechanicals...the answer to a question that never needed asking. Why add a Rube Goldberg contraption to the end of an arrow when there are so many solid fixed blade heads out there. Slick Tricks, Black Hornets, Centaur, Simmons, etc. I know some are fascinated with broadheads flying like fp's, but I don't understand that either. Is throwing a few clicks of elevation or windage that big of a deal that you would opt to accept a potential failure mode? : :shock: :roll:

And then there is the 2" cut argument...well, that argument doesn't hold much water either.

I'm always amazed when I watch the sporting channels and see a guy with a high end vertical cam bow and he gets all of 1/3 arrow penetration on a deer. And a guy using trad equipment and pulling 45-60#'s gets a pass through with a 2blade. Now granted, the Excals we use typically do not have that issue. It does relate tot the overall issue though.
Three failures to get a pass through and several sheered blades later my brother in law has finally changed to an Excal and ST's. He finally shot his new bow this wknd and couldn't believe the speed an accuracy of the M380 with ST's. He quickly learned that you do not shoot at the same target 2x. :mrgreen:
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have use for both I use expandable for turkey as I want to slow down the arrow I use Wasp Jakx . I use Muzzy crosskill/ crossbow trocar 125 gr for everything else . I hunt with an Exomax .
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I'll say regardless if you shoot mechs or fixed, shot placement is the key. You hit it with an axe in a bad place, it's going to run and you've got a long tracking job ahead. That said, I prefer my trusty fixed blades, they do the job and have never failed me. But I have been impressed with some of the reports I've seen here with a few mechanicals. One day I may change my mind but for now my setup aint broke so I'm not going to change it just for the sake of change.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

I like the peace of mind that comes with a fixed blade. And the increased penetration abilities that holds up better at your longer ranges. The cut on impact one's being favored more. And to hold onto that energy, I stay on the heavier side of things. Otherwise being to light of a setup, just to gain speed, is like shooting a pingpong ball into the wind. I want to keep that energy and accuracy. I would not use a mechanical out of lighter pound bows. That's when a heavy fixed blade will shine to make up for the slower speed. You get energy, and better accuracy. (Influenced less by wind). Sure it's going to drop faster down range, but it's going to have more retained energy! just sight in for that. And fixed blades are a better value. Can keep using them. Most can be reshaped on a good ole wet stone. I'm liking the Wac'em broadheads we've been using. 2 deer so far on the same head, complete passthrough. Easy to sharpen, fly like my slick tricks.
Last edited by Heyu on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Drew wrote:Now this is just my opinion...so take it with a grain of salt. :D

Mechanicals...the answer to a question that never needed asking. Why add a Rube Goldberg contraption to the end of an arrow when there are so many solid fixed blade heads out there.
Rube Goldberg LOL!

I've never had a reason to try mechanicals. My Slicktricks fly just like field points and my ol' Exocet 165 sends them clear through deer, diagonally.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I've used both and had great success with both. Used to shoot a couple variants of the Wasps a few years back but have since switched to Rage products. I'm very pleased with them and have never had one fail me in any way. Right now the Rage Crossbows are my BH de jour. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads