deadzone scope instruction manual error

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cadmaster

deadzone scope instruction manual error

Post by cadmaster »

Looking through the forum I noticed that there was never a definitive answer to the question what are the correct yardages on the new recticle that the dead zone scope has. In one post someone says 10 yards and another they say 20 yards.

When I sighted in my replacement scope back in October I had problems getting the chevron accuracy correct as there was no top post for the 10 yard aim point and still 5 aim points I assumed the the crosshairs were now 10 yards and tried to sight the bow in accordingly. At longer ranges this error is fairly important as it is about 6-8 inches high. I also figured that the chevrons may not reflect the correct yardages due to my minimum arrow weight as I figured the supplied 125 grain field tips were standard the scope was set to and not the 100 grain field points I was using.

As I was not planning to shoot at longer distances and could easily shoot to 30 yards with OK accuracy I decided to wait until season was over here and submit the question about the scope to the warranty dept.
here is my query and the response from Dawn:

Topic: Scopes
Category: Accuracy Issue
Subject: dead zone chevrons

Question:

my dead zone scope does not have the same cross hairs arrangement as the instructions. the top aim point is the cross hairs not the top post like in the instructions. So my question is the cross hairs 10 yards or 20 yards and is each chevron 10 yards? You really should publish a new instruction manual for the dead zone scope with corrected illustrations, information and sighting instructions for us and post it on the website. BTW love the scope, but the manual has some problems. FYI I assumed the cross hairs were 10 yards so if they are actually 20 yards that would account for the scope shooting high when using the chevrons, that and the speed dial not being set dead on. speed dial currently set at about 305 for my axiom using 100 grain field tips and Flemish dynaflight string.

Answer:

yes, sorry, they have changed to markings in the scope and we are updating the instruction manual to reflect these changes. We removed the 10 yards and the increments are 10 yards each

Dawn Douglas
Customer Service Rep
Scarecrow

Re: deadzone scope instruction manual error

Post by Scarecrow »

I have the dead zone on my Grizzly. I sighted in the crosshairs for 20 yards. It is VERY accurate out to 60 yards. Takes a while for the arrow to get there but it is dead on!!
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

It is very accurate, the error I had was minimal at 30 yards and being new to the speed ring was not sure if I was doing things right so accepted the range limitation of 30 yards so I did not have to forgo archery deer season. I figured that the crosshairs were 20 but did not have tons of time to spend on the range to resight the bow to reflect the change.

I was a little surprised at the time lag shooting at 50 yards, but knew that where would be some.
HIGHBOW

Post by HIGHBOW »

So glad to find this post and know that wasn't something wrong with the one I received. My problem with the Dead Zone scope is a maybe all on my own account but I might be adjusting something wrong. From the time I mounted it on the new Grizzly and standing at 10 yards it shot the arrow into the dirt under the target the first two shots and that is with the crosshairs held dead center of the target. So I made adjustment to raise my shot what should have been 4" and I was able to hit the target but still very low. What speed are most of the GRizzly's shooting with the 150 grain tips? Maybe I should adjust it the speed more, I have it on 300?
EXCALIBUR Matrix Grizzly & AXIOM SMF, Firebolts and Boltcutters
Hunt safe and always respect what natural gives you!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

If you go to the 'search' bar at the top of the page and type in 'adjusting the speed dial' you'll find some great explanations.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.