O/T.... Leupold VX•R Riflescopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

galamb

Re: O/T.... Leupold VX•R Riflescopes

Post by galamb »

I mistakenly said that the Patrol had a FFP. Aside from that there is nothing there that is not my opinion or the actual specs of the scopes.

Sorry if some of you take it as a personal attack that I think paying 20-50% more for a near identical product, at least as far as fit/feature/function is concerned is not something that I would personally recommend simply so that I have a Leupold mounted.

Yes, they make a fine product. NO not everyone likes them - that has nothing to do with their quality/function and yes you pay a premium because you are paying, partly, for US workers wages to put them together.

Things such as "clarity" is a personal thing - one guy looks through scope A and thinks it's clear, someone else thinks it isn't.

Likewise, some don't like a "busy reticle" or prefer this BDC style over that. Others complain that the dials are too stiff, don't click loud enough, are too "mushy".

And if my knowledge regarding all of the over 100 models of Leupold optics is not "complete" it is most probably because the sales of such are not prolific compared to the 10 or 12 other brands, with dozens of models, that we also sell.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

I find that the Bushnell Elite rifle scopes are a very good value for the $$ spent. I have one on my 270 and it is very bright and clear.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Just from a sheer number point of view, Bushnell outsells every brand we carry by over a 5:1 margin - followed by Redfield and Nikon (neck in neck).

Leupold, Burris, Steiner, Vortex et al are somewhat "rare sales". Most guys don't want to spend much money on optics and even less on ammunition - the things that matter the most...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Normous

Post by Normous »

I always say "beware of the high cost of the lowest priced optic".
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Although I am utterly thrilled with my VX-R Hog Scope and my VX-R 2X7, I've have had great experience with the the Elite 4200s. But if I buy another scope it will be the VX-R Hog Scope again.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

The Bushnell Elite scopes are by no means "low priced optics"; at least not from my perspective. They may be priced lower than some other brands, but the durability, clarity and brightness of these scopes is amazing.
Do a comparison and judge for yourself. I had an open mind, and was not swayed by advertising or the celebrity snob factor, and made the comparison before making the purchase and was glad I did.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have a 6500 on my .204, and could not imagine a better scope. For varmint hunting the 2.5-16 zoom is terrific, 2.5 is great for in the bush, and 16 lets you reach out as well, side parallax to minimize movement, and Rain Guard, it actually works. Amazing in low light as well.
I like the Vortex line as well, their high end stuff is comparable in quality to the 6500.
Optics are a definite "try before you buy". When I went looking for glass for my .204 the gun shop brought a silk covered table outside with a variety of scopes, very important to try them outside, opposed to inside when possible.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string