Hunting waterfowl with crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Hunting waterfowl with crossbow

Post by hunter with MS »

Has anyone hunted waterfowl successfully with a crossbow ? My state allows it as long as I have a permit to hunt everything else with it . Since My MS has using a firearm all but impossible I am thinking about using the crossbow . I am concerned with type of arrow and Blade .
Pydpiper

Re: Hunting waterfowl with crossbow

Post by Pydpiper »

It is a no go for us over here, we can use a compound or recurve, but not a crossbow. Our last government was going to change that, but I don't see the new one doing much, of anything.
I bet it would be a lot of fun!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

i hunt geese all the time with my matrix 330.I use a cabellas lazer strike II 3 blade because there good n cheap you can use basically any broadhead you want but i like something a little bigger to put em down quick. just aim for the chest engine room area .i dont have a dog so a baitcaster n a zara spook are my retriever. waterfowlin can eat up some arras most of my shots are from stalking shoreline gooses. i never or rarely launch into the air usually theres always a building or people in the range of my c bow
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL]
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Nice Geese I was thinking on what I use for turkey I use expandable blades . I was thinking about the arrow would putting a bow fishing rig on the xbow and tying a line to the arrow work ? I have never tried hunting waterfowl with xbow before . Thanks
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Usually you dont need anything fancy .for some reason the geese dont seem to be as tough as a turkey to kill. They dont have that fly or run nervous thing like after you shoot a turkey.l used to hunt a farm in jersey for deer. There was a pheasant hunting preserve down the road and a lot of em got away boy i killed a small pickup truck load of pheasants over 20 year span with my longbow boy was that a lotta fun. N good eatin and boy did i waste a lotta arras too. Lol. Lbj
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Thanks for the info ,Will be trying it next fall as our season is over .