southern ontario bow season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sledhead

southern ontario bow season

Post by sledhead »

wondering how any fellow southern ontario bow hunters have made out this season? my group of 3 hunt locally in the hamilton area and its been a slow season for us. one small buck split three ways doesn't go far although there where a couple misses and one unrecovered doe. just not seeing as much as in past years, i guess the warmer than usual temps and the lack of snow have altered their movement. the prevalence of high winds in our area have also deterred us from getting out more than in previous years.
Carnivorous

Re: southern ontario bow season

Post by Carnivorous »

No Ontario bow hunting for me this season. I hunt 92B and I save my one and only deer seal for the Black powder hunt. On the bright side the deer herd in 92B is in great shape and we went 7 deer for 7 hunters in 5 days with the smoke poles with many deer seen..

If the additional deer seals come back someday I will be back in the stand in Ontario with my Micro.

We now bow hunt in Michigan to get our archery fix... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
sledhead

Post by sledhead »

i have an uncle in ohio with a lot of property and never really investigated hunting in the us and am unsure as to the regs for transporting the bow across the border as well as the carcass or the processed meat. any advice appreciated.

Post by newbie »

I hunted north and west of you this year WMU 87 and 90. I took a mature doe the first 10 days and a good eating buck after the first controlled hunt.
It has been tough for all of my buddy's. Some clean misses some not found. But lots of sightings just not in range.
Seem to be more deer then last year in 90B. I've had more does and bucks then ever on my cams.
One guy even more unlucky. He got a nice doe in the last controlled hunt but he didn't get it in time from the butcher, his shop burned down yesterday and shop smokehouse and all contents total loss. I talked to the owner last night, all employees his family and house are fine. He is hopeful to rebuild soon. Feel bad for him and his family he is a great guy. Also for everyone that had Christmas dinners ordered through him.
Last edited by newbie on Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The bow is a non issue, either side of the border. The meat, I don't know.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

You have to bring the carcass back without hide, head or spine.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

sledhead wrote:wondering how any fellow southern ontario bow hunters have made out this season? my group of 3 hunt locally in the hamilton area and its been a slow season for us. one small buck split three ways doesn't go far although there where a couple misses and one unrecovered doe. just not seeing as much as in past years, i guess the warmer than usual temps and the lack of snow have altered their movement. the prevalence of high winds in our area have also deterred us from getting out more than in previous years.

Hamilton is one of the area's I hunt as well. The cams were getting pictures but they were mostly nocturnal. It has been a slow year for hunting deer during daylight hours.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Big John

Post by Big John »

Very Slow this end of the Province! :shock:
We hunt 89 and 87. We only seen one Deer all season so far. Sad!!! :(
Game cams showed good in Sept. and beginning Oct. then went blank or nocturnal.
We will probably eat our tags this year! :shock: :( First time in a long time.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
munch

Post by munch »

Big John wrote:Very Slow this end of the Province! :shock:

Big John
john i may too. i see a couple guys posting on other forums that hunt the same area i do and talk about all the deer in the area and how good the herd is .you know how much i hunt well over 200 hours this fall and i call bullshit i think these guys know the mnr cut back on tags and some fellows did not get drawn in the controlled hunt. i think lots are posting about high # so they get picked next year. im sure some gangs did ok but when you see 20 to 30 guys pushing in a square mile and not a stock of corn sure they are going to see deer and you see lots that cant wait to pull the trigger even at 2 and 3 yards with a smooth bore shotgun its just hail marry shots
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook

Post by newbie »

munch wrote:
Big John wrote:Very Slow this end of the Province! :shock:

Big John
john i may too. i see a couple guys posting on other forums that hunt the same area i do and talk about all the deer in the area and how good the herd is .you know how much i hunt well over 200 hours this fall and i call bullshit i think these guys know the mnr cut back on tags and some fellows did not get drawn in the controlled hunt. i think lots are posting about high # so they get picked next year. im sure some gangs did ok but when you see 20 to 30 guys pushing in a square mile and not a stock of corn sure they are going to see deer and you see lots that cant wait to pull the trigger even at 2 and 3 yards with a smooth bore shotgun its just hail marry shots
Guy from work hunts your neighborhood Terry. He didn't get drawn for first time ever.His buddy's have yet to see a deer as well.
Maybe they all got scared my way this year :wink:.
I honestly have seen more deer then I can ever remember. The neighbors group (7guys) hunted my uncles property again without permission(whole nuther story) and I know they filled their controlled tags.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Big John

Post by Big John »

We will be discussing with the MNR Rep at our game dinner after New Years this matter.
But I hope that is not the case just to get tags out when there is no Deer. Not Cool.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
munch

Post by munch »

Big John wrote:We will be discussing with the MNR Rep at our game dinner after New Years this matter.
But I hope that is not the case just to get tags out when there is no Deer. Not Cool.

Big John
john one of the fellows posting also comes here and ive seen him say they had 4to5 pushing and 8 to 10 blocking and filled there tags. i know for fact that one of the fellows hunts that gang says they got 4 deer .one was a fawn. just my opinion but i think this talk, is like i said just to cover the bases so they all get drawn next year.one guy says seen 10 deer every day. thats easy but did he see the same 10 when you have up to 17 guys the deer hop scotch bush to bush .and maybe they saw a total of 14 deer all week how to you tell one doe or one fawn from another when they are running 30 miles per hour threw the bush .
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

We did see a lot of deer this season. Fill most of the tags .and seen a few good bucks to boot.on the last sunday of the controlled hunt we pulled into the bird seed farm to see 8 deer standing in the feild right behind the barn.lol.we did notice that the bucks were with the doe's the first week of December. Normally thy are by themselves this time of year.good luck to everyone who is still trying to fill a tag . Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Had a four point running a doe under my stand just before the last controlled he wouldn't stop for the shot!!

Our group of ten shot 8 deer in the controlled 89b did not see a lot of mature bucks during that week!

I was talking with a conservation officer from Aylmer district and he said the overall health of the deer heard was doing well here in southern Ontario they were out doing night counts in fields.

So far this winter has been pretty easy on them and the turkey's spring is always the wild card!!
Last edited by MADMAX2 on Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best things in life are not things!!
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Filled 2 of 3 tags. One in October and one in November. Always save my last tag right until new years eve in hopes of getting a trophy. Passed on 4 or 5 deer as it would have ended my season.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend