southern ontario bow season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Re: southern ontario bow season

Post by ninepointer »

I've been out 8 times in WMU 76 and the only deer I've laid eyes on are were a pair of does travelling together. Killed one of them. Cam photos so far are sparse and all at night, no bucks.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

sledhead wrote:i have an uncle in ohio with a lot of property and never really investigated hunting in the us and am unsure as to the regs for transporting the bow across the border as well as the carcass or the processed meat. any advice appreciated.
Crossing the border with archery gear is no problem.

For the meat you can bring quarters back or Debone it. It was a breeze crossing the border this season on both ends. As soon as you say bow hunting they let you pass with no issues..

I heard Ohio has some amazing deer hunting. If I were you I would pursue that option in a heart beat... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

I passed up a few does in October, missed a doe in late November and just went today to dump some corn down in wmu 81, hoping for a late season buck. Very slow season so far
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Took a small button buck early in the season with the Matrix, then a small racked buck with the muzzleloader during the first ml/shotgun week. Haven't seen much deer movement though.
munch

Post by munch »

Lots saying only nights but I have cameras out in places where I've had up to 9 deer on c&d meta at a time and different deer . Only 2 pics of bucks this year birth in daylight a spike and a 10 point the 10 had an ugly rack 6 on one side 4 on the other . I did have one chance at a big buck the laßt week of October but got busted a few steps from my shooting lane . Maybe I'm spoiled but most years I don't sit twice without having an encounter . I was lucky enough to shot a moose with the now so not a total loss
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
munch

Post by munch »

Iphone and poor eyes with auto correct again . Please read between the lines lol
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Bwnro girl

Post by Bwnro girl »

I have sat out hunting more this year than any other year and saw way less deer. One afternoon i saw a doe and 2 fawns but no clear shot. Another time I had 3 fawns right under my stand. Didn't shot because i had already made up my mind that i would'nt shoot anything but a buck.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

we are not see many either in 87!! nothing on cams,no crap. im out most days morning and night and Kathy gets in the blind most days after work.Sure glad she can shoot or we would be eating all 3 tags!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I haven't been out much this year due to work but when I do get out I'm seeing the same amount of deer that I'm used to seeing. I did manage to poke a nice spike buck earlier in the season and I still have a doe tag I'm hoping to fill during the Holidays while I'm off. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Only made it out once this year. Had a deer down in first 1/2 hour of rifle season. Had it at butchers by nine thirty and back at work by 11am. Nicest deer I ever shot. Drove the truck right to where it dropped. No dragging. Even loaded up my blinds and feeders in 82B. CHEERS!
mattones

Post by mattones »

I shot two the first controlled hunt, buck on Tuesday and a doe on Wednesdsy. Only one who saw anything out of four guys. we spoke to another group who hunt the adjoining property after a random bunch of guys trespassed and pushed the bush the last morning at 730am and after venting about the guys ruining the hunt they said they saw nothing all week other then for two deer peeling past one of their stands when he guys were pushing.

NOV 22 I was out bow hunting and happend to have a yearling come out and I let the arrow fly. Normally im eating my tags.

It's a strange year indeed as everyone I spoke to had plently of deer on cameras all Summer but now nothing. I HOPE its a warm winter
08 Diamond Justice
2015 Micro 335 -Custom Flemish String-Lumonzombies
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

wheelie wrote:Only made it out once this year. Had a deer down in first 1/2 hour of rifle season. Had it at butchers by nine thirty and back at work by 11am.
That's one of the saddest stories I've ever heard :( :wink:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I'm like Jeff. Most of my archery hunting now takes place in Michigan since we are limited to one tag. With regard to importing a deer, Don is spot on with the regs but most cbp agents don't know better and allow whole deer carcasses in all the time. I have a friend who does it annually and never gets questioned. There is an award winning butcher near the town where I hunt, so I don't risk brining a whole deer back.

Since Ontario has moved to a "one tag only" province, our muzzleloader group has a rule, if you tag a deer in he archery season it HAS to be an absolute MONSTER. And so we sit and wait for giant deer and I was fortunate to see some and get an encounter with one during the peak of the rut but could not close the deal. I did seal a small buck during the controlled hunt and our group went 4/5 and could've easily tagged out early in 92b but we were targeting bucks only.

My season isn't done though, my wife still has a tag and my buddy does too and the late season has been good to me over the years...I'm just hoping for colder weather after Christmas.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
DanO

Post by DanO »

I hunt a property in zone 80. I bumped one deer on the walk into my stand. Only yearlings on the camera at a feed site. The hunters on the adjoining property didn't do well in the controlled hunt. I've hunted this spot about 6 times.

In zone 82A I had a doe blowing at me the first day of the gun hunt. I see her and her yearlings on camera. Two other bucks on camera early in the season but nothing during the day. Haven't seen a deer all season during the day. Crown land so heavy hunting pressure has forced the deer to go nocturnal.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
DanO

Post by DanO »

BTW I've never had tag soup but unless we get some cold weather I'm going to have a double batch to "enjoy".

I'm going down to one purchase next year regardless of tag availability. There are other activities I enjoy almost as much but this has become an OBSESSION!
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.