dw

excalibur improvements

Post by dw »

what would you pick :D
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
Camper

Post by Camper »

I picked the automatic safety but also find that my Buddies horton felt good with the thunb hole. Settle down!!! I'm an Excalibur man through and through but I did like the feel of the thumb hole and like the look of it on those custom stocks that the fella's here make for the Excaliburs!!!

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Digger

Post by Digger »

If you want an automatic safety on your Excalibur all you need to do is buy a Wolverine or Relayer, both came with auto safeties.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
axis

thumbhole stock

Post by axis »

I'd like a thumbhole stock. That would be the one, you could shoot real good. Nice and steady..........

AXIS
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I picked none at all :)

I like my exocet deluxe just the way it is :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I wouldn't mind the new riser on my Vixen.
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

In regards to the auto safety;

I recall the issue being brought up on one of the older forums.

I could have dreamt this but I seem to recall Bill T indicating that you can get a better trigger pull with a manual safety.
10Ring
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

An automatic safety is not necessary. The safety should already be built into the shooter. Keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction, and your finger out of the trigger guard. When walking through the woods I grab the outside of the trigger guard with my trigger finger so twigs cannot get into there.

I do use the safety. As soon as I cock the bow it is set. And until I am ready to shoot, if in hand, my thumb holds the safety down.

I use the same precautions when using any firearm.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Best arguments against the automatic safety : http://66.150.232.135/crushed/excalibur ... 7_256k.wmv

When it comes to crossbows: Less means more! :wink:
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Thanks for your comments, this kind of input is VERY helpful to us!
Of your options I see that a lot of our customers want an auto safety. This is one we tried for about 12 years and we won't go back there again!
Auto safeties are almost never available on firearms, an industry that is much bigger than the crossbow biz, and for good reason. As soon as you put an auto safety on something you are taking the responsibility to check on the safetys condition away from the shooter. In past years we saw examples of how a customer can get an auto safety dirty, rusty, or use the wrong lube and stop it from engaging. Very scarey and dangerous stuff! Because the shooter has been "trained" to not check the safety, the only way he will discover the problem is to have an accident, which means possible injury to someone and a possible lawsuit for me. In the interest of all of our customers safety and our own piece of mind, we have chosen to go manual. You are in charge of your own destiny. Put the damn safety on and you WILL be safe, don't just hope that "Murphy" will put it on for you!
Now, to the anti dryfire issue. First I'd like to say that the only model we have that can be damaged by occasional dryfiring is the MAX. All the others can be dryfired with possible string damage the most likely outcome. Ask anyone who has been using a crossbow with an antidryfire on it about the things that can go wrong. One thing I hear is that you can cock the crossbow onto the antidryfire instead of setting the catch, and you can lose the shot of your lifetime on that big buck because the bow will not fire until you set the string back the rest of the way. Also consider what a pain it is to manually uncock a crossbow with an anti dryfire. Talking about Murphy, think about how easily anything that is designed to stop you from shooting your crossbow could potentially go out of tune and shut you down in mid season. Not a chance I'd like to take!
The antidryfire issue sounds great, but if you consider the downside and see just how seldom dryfire damage actually occurs on our crossbows, it's just more stuff to go wrong.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I voted for the rubber coated stock, but I think it would be best as a possible option, and the thumbhole would be the same type upgrade. Matter of fact, with Mark's stocks available the thumbhole option is already covered. As for the auto safety, IMHO the manual safety is much safer if the shooter will just train him/her self to engage the safety as soon as the crossbow is cocked. I've had crossbows with automatic safties, and had at least one where the safety did not go on a fair percentage of the time. If you're depending on a mechanical device for your safety you're asking for trouble. It isn't a matter of if it will eventually fail, it's a matter of when. I've thought of the anti dry-fire option, but again it's just another complication that isn't really necessary. Actually, the better camo on the new exomax would be a great improvement on all models, but Bill T has probably thought of that. And I'd like to see the new (exomax) riser offered for the Vixen & Exocet to boost their weight & velocity.
wabi
Ontario Bow Hunter

Post by Ontario Bow Hunter »

I voted other,... why? I say a hundred dollar (or so) optional upgrade to change the stock to one of Mark's stocks! That would be nice.
Tony

Post by Tony »

@Bill T. : I totally agree! No parts of the Excalibur crossbows should be changed, everything is perfect how it is!
Bill T wrote:Put the damn safety on and you WILL be safe, don't just hope that "Murphy" will put it on for you!
Bill T wrote:The antidryfire issue sounds great, but if you consider the downside and see just how seldom dryfire damage actually occurs on our crossbows, it's just more stuff to go wrong.
8)

I love my Exomag!!!

Post by Guest »

more compact size, wooded stock
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Maybe, the option of an adjustable comb, as seeen on some trap guns.

Other than that, IMHO, don't "mess" with them :D
10Ring