Arrow component help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Arrow component help

Post by SEW »

My Zombies weigh 398.3 G. Components: 18" Zombie, 26g insert, flat plastic nock,blazers, FOC (170g).
What I want: 450-475g arrow, still use FOC BH , still have about the same foc. Would like lighted nocks (Lumenock or Firenock - I guess are the major choices. Others?). Considering going to the new SK300 vanes , still in 4 degree offset, 55 g insert (is an 80 available?), and the lighted nock. Other options?
bob watkins

Re: Arrow component help

Post by bob watkins »

i think south shore hs 80gr inserts lumen nocks work very well just be sure arrows are square everything else sounds good -- going to check out sk vanes myself had a sliver on the 405 glued it down still holding good luck
Normous

Post by Normous »

Black Eagle has 80 grain brass inserts available and the #GTF .300 Lumenok weighs 28 grains. Adding those two components will get you into your desired arrow weight range.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Normous wrote:Black Eagle has 80 grain brass inserts available and the #GTF .300 Lumenok weighs 28 grains. Adding those two components will get you into your desired arrow weight range.
But wouldn't this change the FOC (not his broadhead) considerably? Heavier shaft per inch? Small screw in weight in front and then a lighted nock? I think it may be fairly easy to get there, but not so easy to maintain same FOC as you now have and like.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Paul, I think a few extra foc percentage points paired with the FOC broadhead is a win win combo that will only lead to bigger smiles in the field.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Normous wrote:Paul, I think a few extra foc percentage points paired with the FOC broadhead is a win win combo that will only lead to bigger smiles in the field.
Norm, you are probably right, but SEW doesn't like to shoot too much FOC, if I remember correctly. Maybe a GT IV pro shaft (I think is approx. 12 gr/in adds 54 grains)with illuminock (adds approx. 20 grains) and a 20-25 grain screw in weight up front. Just a thought. I may be making mountains out of mole hills. Norm. Those just to your west currently...are mountains. :D I love Colorado! gorgeous state.
GGC

Post by GGC »

The foc on both arrows, is almost identical, being just under 22.
Used the calculator at Gold Tip arrows for a quick check. Sew go with the lighted nocks and 80 grain brass, the total weight is where you want to be and does not change the foc except for a minimal amount.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Incredibly good responses! I'll respond shortly. Thank you.