How often does everyone shoot to stay proficient

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bcwn

How often does everyone shoot to stay proficient

Post by Bcwn »

I find that I'm shooting considerably more on the weekend, in between doing stuff around the house, and just plain old daily stuff I'm shooting maybe 20-30 arrows a day on the weekends. On the week days maybe 6-10, but that's not every day.

20 yards is the standard here at the house.

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
GrassyKnoll

Re: How often does everyone shoot to stay proficient

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I like to shoot several days a week... Mostly because I enjoy it..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

I like to shoot as many 3D shoots through the spring and summer as I can. It's not only good for refining your shooting form it's also good practice for estimating unknown distances and diffent target presentations.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

Maybe 3 shots a month at most. Once it's sighted in all I do is monitor brace height. As long as I don't misjudge the yardage of what I'm shooting at the bow will do it's job.
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

Not much to a crossbow to stay good at them. Once they are set up, you could put them away like your rifles till next season. That is if your not into competition or 3D shoots. The biggest thing with them is knowing how to handle them for safety. Unlike my recurves and longbows that I've only ever shot traditionally (without sights) then it's a different story. Skill comes into play shooting them. A whole lot of shooting to get that skill, and keep it. And a mass amount of good hand straighten cedar arrows. (I did end up cheating and bought some carbons for target shooting years ago) But I do still shoot my crossbows and rifles just for the fun of it. And to stay familiar with them.
Last edited by Heyu on Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I believe the most critical part of the process of shooting a crossbow is trigger control and breathing. Just like shooting a rifle well. These are degradable skills so I practice several times a week by shooting at the smallest detail I can see on my target face. Usually a previous arrow hole.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Possum

Post by Possum »

I normally shoot 4 to 8 arrows every day but usually only 4. I practice offhand and concentrate on my breathing, cheek weld, Trigger squeeze & timing, follow through and range estimation. I want the whole process to become second nature. I don't want to be just good enough with my weapons, I want to be perfect though I know I will never be it gives me something to strive for and its relaxing, and fun.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Don't practice much through the winter here as it's usually raining and somewhat chilly, or snowing and somewhat chilly, or I am chasing Steelhead in the local rivers...

The spring and summer are a different story. I'll run well over 1,000 shots through that period, concentrating on ranges from 30 to 100 yards. By the time hunting season arrives, the bow is once again much like an extension of my body, and hunting range shots become like "Chip Shots" under most circumstances... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Boo

Post by Boo »

Drew wrote:I believe the most critical part of the process of shooting a crossbow is trigger control and breathing.
Much of your practice can come from shooting in your basement at 15/20 feet with your crossbow or an air rifle. Five to 10 shots is plenty if you take it seriously.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wapster

Post by wapster »

I am fortunate in the fact my basement has length enough for testing arrows and shooting for enjoyment. I bring the size of my target dots down to the size of an arrow hole.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

During 3D season I shoot a fair bit but..
I don't often shoot during hunting season. :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

..... double post....... :oops:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

It depends on you. I like to shoot off hand, and think that all the above answers play into your style, and shooting form as well. Breathing while handling anything with a trigger is paramount, and longer distance shooting requires much more practice. I shoot as often as I can.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i like to shoot a lot seems like my snow blower always makes a path to my targets you can forget the little things very easy . when i shot my longbows i shot almost every day love to compete
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I shoot in the basement once in a while, not that often though. I live in town so shooting outdoors for me is not an option. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads