New Missouri Crossbow Hunter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mb85

New Missouri Crossbow Hunter

Post by Mb85 »

Here in Missouri the use of crossbows just passed!!!! I've been researching crossbows and had come to a conclusion I will be shooting an Excalibur next season. I have going back and forth between a micro,355, and 380. I will be hunting open food plots and in cover. Do I really need the power of a 380? I'm concerned about width or do I want the compactness of a micro? Will I be happy with a slower velocity? I will be hunting in ground blinds as well. I've handled all 3 and can't decide. Any suggestions??
L. E. Carroll

Re: New Missouri Crossbow Hunter

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have both a 355 and a 335 Micro.... Where distance may be a bit more and animal a bit larger like the 4x4 Bull Elk I took in Sept. with the 355, I feel the 355 was a logical choice and did the job very nicely at close to 47 yards.

I then took a brand new Micro on a more recent Mule Deer hunt in pretty open country involving sage brush, and both alfafa and wheat fields... I would have felt better with the 355 at the shot distances I encountered on a pretty regular basis.

I stuck with the Micro however, as my intent was to get it bloodied. I did manage to accomplish the task I set for myself with a nice 3x4 Mulie Buck, but found the Micro's size and weight to be of no great advantage for that type of hunt.

If I had to fall back to just one bow :roll: It would be my 355 hands down. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

Welcome Mb85
Last year was my first time to try hunting in Missouri. I enjoyed it so I plan to go back and bring my Excal. What ever model you choose it is backed by a damn good warranty.
Good luck
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum. So many variables that come with deciding on which excel to buy that its impossible to steer you in a certain direction.

Having said that, not too many have picked up a micro and not been happy. And having said that, I don't own one because I prefer the fps of the 380-405 :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I hunt food plots and cut over corn fields out of ground blinds, Ladder stands and climbing tree stands with a 380 . I have never thought it was cumbersome or too big ! When it's cocked its really easy to maneuver and the extra trajectory is reassuring when a shot presents itself . The 380 also comes with ALOT of extras done on it, So my vote goes to the 380 ! But any of the choices you mentioned would work fine .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Mb85

Post by Mb85 »

Thanks guys for the advice! That was quick!! I look at these models everyday and bounce back and forth! I guess when January 5th arrives I'll have even more options!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I own both, the Micro n the 380. Fer jus speed the 380, if'en you want one out to 45 yds thats nice n comfortable the Micro , Nitemare was my choice
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Welcome to the forum. :D Have fun and keep your thumb below the rail.
Hank
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Welcome to the forum Mb85, Glad to see another Missourian on the forum, you can't go wrong a with an EXCAL :wink: so I would go with what feels best for you !!!! Dave :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have the 335 and the 355 I shoot the 335 one day and the 355 the next and I don't know what I like best, just buy one of each .
Mb85

Post by Mb85 »

Thanks guys for the input!! I've been Bowhunting for 16 years and this new crossbow thing is very interesting and exciting for me! I just don't want to get a model and next week wish I would have gotten a different one.
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

So I notice some descrepencies between the Micro 335 and the 355 for hunting situations. Does the extra 20fps make that big of a difference? Trajectory, flight time ect.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

va3cgt wrote:So I notice some descrepencies between the Micro 335 and the 355 for hunting situations. Does the extra 20fps make that big of a difference? Trajectory, flight time ect.
Really only an inch flatter trajectory in favor of the 355 n abit more weight n length. Have no idea about diff in their prices
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

380 and be done
Mb85

Post by Mb85 »

That's what I'm kinda thinkin Bob, I hope they have some deals on the 380 after the 2016 models role out and get a deal