bows and elephants

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shotnbeer

bows and elephants

Post by Shotnbeer »

I know Fred Bear shot an elephant, polar bear and cape buffalo with a bow and I think I remember Bill T taking an elephant also with a crossbow. If the older models could do that what makes the newer stuff any better other than bells and whistles? Don't get me wrong I love the Excalibur bows. I think the younger guys or those new to crossbow hunting will love this stuff. If it gets them out to hunt I'm all for it. Guess the older I get I like things simpler.
Normous

Re: bows and elephants

Post by Normous »

As a whitetail hunter mostly, I like the newer and faster models as deer can react much faster than an elephant or buffalo could.

In the 90's I witnessed firsthand how quickly a deer can react to a crossbow shot and as a result I did not hit exactly where I aimed.

Using the latest and faster Micro and Matrix models I have noticed every deer that I shot was hit exactly where I aimed and most often dropped within sight after a lethal hit.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The one thing I like about the new faster bows is we can use large expandable broad-heads like the NAP FOC with great pass through penetration.. You will never hear me complain that the deer I just shot fell over dead too quickly and really wish it would run further so I could spend all day tracking it... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

I don't think there's anything wrong with the older bows, many big game species were taken with them. The newer ones can give an advantage in the sense that you are getting a faster bow in a smaller package. Speed gets you a couple of things:
first off the bolt gets to the target quicker which gives said target less time to react.
Second it gives you a flatter trajectory which gives an archer less margine for error.
Personally I shoot an ibex which is getting less than 300fps and I'm confident with it, but I can see the benefit of the newer faster bows
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
Tom

Post by Tom »

Shotnbeer wrote:I know Fred Bear shot an elephant, polar bear and cape buffalo with a bow and I think I remember Bill T taking an elephant also with a crossbow. If the older models could do that what makes the newer stuff any better other than bells and whistles? Don't get me wrong I love the Excalibur bows. I think the younger guys or those new to crossbow hunting will love this stuff. If it gets them out to hunt I'm all for it. Guess the older I get I like things simpler.
When I first started, or was introduced into the world of crossbows, way back in the last 70's, they claimed that the 150lb crossbows were more then enough crossbow to kill a Moose. And they were right. Many moose have been killed by that class of crossbow. Shot placement is the ticket. But shot placement is still the ticket with these more powerful bows.

The thing is, if a company does not come out with another, more faster bow, different styling, there what reason do you have to buy your 3rd (or more) bow. The truth is, the Vixen, Original Relayer, Astro Daco, will be more then enough bow for any animal in North America. Just different things sell more products.

Faster bows do shoot flatter and the arrow does get there faster, but at what cost. It is more difficult to cock the bow, it is not as much fun to shoot (if you have to keep cocking it all the time) on an outing in the yard.

Are the new bows a bad thing, No, they have their place just like the older bows have a place in today's market as well.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

My buddy's and myself started hunting with crossbow that were 150 lb draw.we hunted every thing from deer to moose and one buddy even went to BC and shot a big bull elk .the 150 lb crossbow killed them all dead .since we started hunting turkey with the bows I started looking for more speed.so I went to a 200 lb bow .now if money were no object I would be getting the new micro. Smaller faster what's not to like. ..Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

The cave men killed mammoths with sticks and stones, why did Bill T need any Xbow? If you wish to use that logic. The answer is evolution, bigger, better, newer is always better for a great percentage of people. And thankfully we have companies willing to do R&D to improve products for consumers. Very few companies will survive just selling the same old product year in year out without any changes. The old excal's all killed stuff dead no problem but the new excal's do it faster and farther. I'd never give my 380 up for 2-3 older models.