Is 40 Yards Too Far?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Is 40 Yards Too Far?

Post by Boo »

My longest shot was just under 40 yards with my 165 Exocet. The deer had its head down (eating) offering me a raking away shot. The arrow zipped through the deer and all it did was to lift it's head up (not alarmed) and look around. The deer continued eating for the next couple of seconds until it fell over.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

I have 6,534,000 sq. ft. of property to hunt so a long distance shot is not out of the question, but my self imposed limit, for now, is 36,574mm but i prefer the 18,288mm shot.

Happy Trails
Stephen
Matrix 380
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Each individual is different.
These bows are capable of more than most that shoot them are IMO.
That said, what would be considered a "long shot" by one person may well be considered a "chip shot" by another.

For me, 40 yards is about the Perfect range.
Basically what I consider Point Blank.
But I practice a LOT with my bow at ranges out to 100 yards very very frequently.

This year's Muley was not quite 3/4ing away from me, at 62 yards.
Offhand shot.
Placement was as good as it could possibly get.

Under the right conditions I might be inclined to stretch that even a little more.

Again, Practice Practice Practice!!
I'd also suggest if 40 yards is your "goal" to practice well beyond that. Say 60 yards minimum. Get good at the longer ranges, the 40 will come quite naturally when it happens. :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Nog,

Wow what an awesome mule deer!
Is it a Colorado Muley?

I agree with the advise to practice at a distance beyond what my limit will be. I will do a lot of shooting at 50-60 yards this summer.

Curious what your setup is and what arrows and broadheads you use at those distances?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

CT.HNTR wrote:Is it a Colorado Muley?
Nope. Alberta is the "New Colorado" these days. Many HUGE Mulies live there, although the area is a tad tough to access. For that one's tale, and a few pix of others even Bigger have a boo at: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=59862
Curious what your setup is and what arrows and broadheads you use at those distances?
My bow is a somewhat Tricked Out Matrix 380:

Boo Strings, Trigger Tech Trigger, Dr. Stirrup full assembly, Hawke XB-30 Compact, Custom Sling etc.

My Arrows are Custom Big John Zombie Slayers cut to 18.25" with Luminoks (I shoot the Luminoks for all practice sessions & hunting) coming in at 400 grains on the nose when tipped with a 125 grain head.

For the past few years all I have been shooting has been 125 grain Spitfires. These really do fly like my field points, cut huge holes and leave great blood-trails.
That said I will soon be experimenting with 125 grain Toxics (Many Thanks to a certain member here :wink: ). It will be interesting to see how they fly from this set-up I believe...

I've always found that confidence at ranges I would not consider shooting a deer at certainly increases my confidence at ranges that I do...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Real nice setup!
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

It's up to you, as a hunter, to know your own 'personal effective range.' This is the range that YOU can make a perfect kill shot 100% of the time. If you need to ask if 40 yards is too far, it's too far.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Just keep in mind that 40 yards at the practice range is NOT the same as 40 yards in the forest. Once you start shooting 40+ yards, the height of your arrow's trajectory above your line of sight becomes a significant factor to consider.

Despite what looks like a clear shooting lane through your scope, your arrow may encounter branches, twigs and leaves as it travels along its arc. Don't ask me how I know ;)
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

I am not so much worried about my ability as I can practice and become effective at a given distance. What I am concerned with and I possibility should have posed my question differently is the deer’s ability to jump the string and at what distance is this a real concern? At the end of the day crossbows are loud no matter how quiet we try to make them and the farther the shot the more time the deer has to react and if the deer does have time to react a good shot can turn into a poor hit.

So the question I am looking to get an answer for is at 40 yards (assuming a good accurate shot is made) will the bolt get to the deer before it has time to react enough to turn a good shot into a poor hit?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
Normous

Post by Normous »

ninepointer wrote:

Despite what looks like a clear shooting lane through your scope, your arrow may encounter branches, twigs and leaves as it travels along its arc. Don't ask me how I know ;)
That is very true, I know a member here, whom shall remain nameless, who tagged tree branches , unseen through the scope, in one season.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

As it's been said. Anything could happen at any range. No guarantee on anything. Not to sound rude, but everyone gave good answers to that question I believe. Each is different. The equipment is capable of doing the job for sure at that range. Even a slower bow. Can they duck or jump from sound at that distance? Of coarse.
Last edited by Heyu on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

I would like to thank everybody for their responses. Great feedback across the board and I really appreciate all responses. My take ways are:

Practice at distances farther than I plan to shoot
practice, practice, practice
Understand the trajectory of my bolts
Make sure I have clear shooting lanes
Make sure the deer is relaxed and not amped up
Understand and adjust to the shooting conditions, light, wind, shot angle
Make sure I have a steady rest to shoot from
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

I know it's nothing like being there in real world time, and being able to read for yourself in that moment to take the shot or not. But watching archery hunting videos may help some also. Get to see how that game animal reacts for that person. Then may see what you may have done different or the same. Just a thought. Good luck.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
fergie

Post by fergie »

I wasn't sure how far I could effectively take game when a small buck appeared at 48yards this year. the farthest deer I'd taken with a crossbow wasn't even close to that. I practice at multiple ranges with my m380 blackout and I hadn't been seeing many deer this past season. I stalked up to an 8 point at 10 yards in the wind early in the season and took him but really hadn't seen much before or after that. we are a group of four and share our tags and when the small buck stepped out and I had ranged him at 48 yards and the only deer down was my eight point, it was a clear shot in my small apple orchard, he took a few more steps so I knew he was 50 yards away shouldered the bow and let a big john zombie fly without even thinking about the distance and hit him with a perfect quartering away shot as I watched the lumenock spine as he ran. he was relaxed and I didn't even worry about distance, if he was looking at me move around and at high alert I probably wouldn't have taken the shot. would I take the shot again???? don't know, but I would think about it.
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
gwhuntr

Post by gwhuntr »

Killed a 9 pt this season with my Ibex @ 45 yds arrow went clean thru him.
125 gr Thunderhead, full arrow weight is 466 gr going 267 fps.
GregO
>>>------->

Ibex
Ten Point Pro Elite Arrows
125 gr Magnus Stingers
Lumenoks