Is 40 Yards Too Far?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Is 40 Yards Too Far?

Post by CT.HNTR »

I am currently shooting 408 grain bolts from a Matrix 355 at 337 fps. I prefer to keep shots at 20 yards or less but a new spot I plan to hunt next year will put me 34-40 yards from the target which is whitetail deer. I have no issues with the lethality of my bolts at that distance and I practice enough to be a competent shot at that distance. My concern is deer jumping the string and not getting the correct shot placement. This is one of the reasons why I am interested in the new Bulldog with the extra fps.

Curious if forum members feel that 40 yards is within an ethical range and what your personal limits are?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
xcaliber

Re: Is 40 Yards Too Far?

Post by xcaliber »

Should not be a problem unless the deer are spooked and staring you down when you shoot. Sometimes it is amazing how much a deer will tolerate, and sometimes the other way wins out. I shot a buck on a ridge many years ago with a Hawken Muzzle Loader, got him real good with the SECOND shot! :wink: I shot over his back on the first, and he stood there while I stuffed another round in the pipe, and capped that hog, I shot under a doe once with my Mathews Drenalin, and she freaked out when the arrow hit the leaves, bolted right under my stand, big mistake!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

40yd shot is fine IF you and you equipment are prepared to make long shots ! 3 things are a must , Undisturbed deer , Broadside shot , Solid rest to shoot from ! One other thing I don't see discussed on here is when you sight your scope in with your broadheads use your rangefinder to establish your 20,30,40,50 . That way when you range something while hunting your bow shoots exactly to that spot .
JMO !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Too far is different for everyone and in those specific conditions at the time of the shot.

For me, I've taken lot's of deer above 40 yds, but the stands I hunt dictate those shots and I practice for them. I know my ranges in those stands and use mech broadheads that are known for great penetration.

Those stands provide me with broadside shots and I stop the walking deer by attracting it's attention by mouthing a grunt(or saying "hey"..) and then squeezing the trigger. I've yet to have one "jump the string", drop on the shot or flinch until the arrow has been through him. IMHO the noise scares the deer causing the flinch by surprise...IF it hears you, he's alert and already tensed up(aka better cut/damage upon impact as well as rock steady target)...

I've tested lot's of broadheads at long distances in high winds and although there are better ones known for quick kills, the Steelheads do what I need best.

You don't need more "power", I've used a 45# compound with same weight arrows and broadhead at a measly chrono's 240fps to take deer out of this stand at 63yds and it passed through the deer just the same as from my Exomax@340fps.

The key is choosing the right broadhead and practicing at the distances you expect to shoot.
So in essence, too far is the distance you are unsure if you can make that shot with certainty. If you are unsure..then it's simply too far for you:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

8ptbuk wrote:40yd shot is fine IF you and you equipment are prepared to make long shots ! 3 things are a must , Undisturbed deer , Broadside shot , Solid rest to shoot from ! One other thing I don't see discussed on here is when you sight your scope in with your broadheads use your rangefinder to establish your 20,30,40,50 . That way when you range something while hunting your bow shoots exactly to that spot .
JMO !
This was the first season to use a rangefinder for me it made a big difference on the confidence level! 40 yds is about max for me. Misses are always inevitable that's deer hunting! The sport never gets boring to me and practice pays off in venison! :D :D :D
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

8ptbuk wrote:40yd shot is fine IF you and you equipment are prepared to make long shots ! 3 things are a must , Undisturbed deer , Broadside shot , Solid rest to shoot from ! One other thing I don't see discussed on here is when you sight your scope in with your broadheads use your rangefinder to establish your 20,30,40,50 . That way when you range something while hunting your bow shoots exactly to that spot .
JMO !
This was the first season to use a rangefinder for me it made a big difference on the confidence level! 40 yds is about max for me. Misses are always inevitable that's deer hunting! The sport never gets boring to me and practice pays off in venison! :D :D :D
deertrx
Brian
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have only shot 2 or 3 deer at 40 yds or more, its certainly well with-in yer crossbows range. Its jus up to you, i will shoot them at 60 yds if'en i get a clear shot at one
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

If you shoot off hand while hunting or off a stick or rest you should practice that way. Take a bunch of shots at a target at 40 yards as if you were hunting. If your happy with the results then your good to go. Confidence is the main thing. The mood of the deer is another factor.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

40 yards is very doable for majority of these bows. As already stated, you must know your bow and your limitations. If sighted dead on, a good rest, a rangefinder, low wind and animal is not on alert it's very doable.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I took the elk in my avatar at 47 yards kneeling with my 355 held by my left arm which was resting on my knee while shooting... Practice lots.... as your bow is more than capable of 40 yards.... Now a person shaking, not taking time to range or judge distance can put a big bag of worms in any shot. :roll:

Take time, practice and control breathing and trigger pull and you should be good to go..But yes, broadside or "slightly away" and undisturbed are also a "Must".

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

Every person's ability is different. As is each shot on game. Anything can happen at any range. Been shooting recurves and long bows since the early 70s and have taken large game out to 60 yards with bows only shooting 160 to 180 FPS. Key was heavy arrows for penetration. Not lightweight for speed just to get there faster and have less killing energy. My wife and her 40# bear bow with heavy weight 2 blade broadheads has taken more deer than some friends and their high tech compounds. Crossbows with the right arrow weight setup for retaining energy at long distance, would amaze alot of people. To me. 40 yards is nothing with a crossbow. And I get to use a scope to aim for me! Wow. Technology.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

35-40yds no problem, I shoot off a rifle rest which helps.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
TrekJeff

Post by TrekJeff »

I made a set of shooty sticks last year for yote hunting. They are easily adjustable so I gave the a GO with my equinox. Sighted in at all range marks on the scope, 20 30 40 and excellent groups. I have all the confidence needed to pull off that 40 yard shot. Like other have said...practice
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

First deer w/ my 355 was at 37 yards, i got a lean off the rail on my climber :wink: you can do it to, jus put in the practice. my personal KZ is 40 yards max
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

It is really all a matter of choice and your ability in yourself and to read the conditions in front of you at the moment.

Any shot should never be a hip shot no matter the distance. If you shoot where these shots are possible, build your shooting foundation to support such shots. Build your arrows with long range in mind and shoot your broadheads at all these ranged..

Myself personally, I have no issue with long shots as I practice them very often and shoot broadheads almost exclusively all year long. I also know when I should hold back because of either wind, or the animal is not cooperating or I can't get a really stable support in that shot direction at that moment.

Just my opinion...
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger