M405 an Mechanical Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Heavvyduty

M405 an Mechanical Broadheads

Post by Heavvyduty »

I.m New to this bow, Do you guys think the M405 is to much for Mechanical Broadheads. And if not witch one,s do you recommend. Been shooting 100gr Swackers for yrs with a 325fps bow. Never a problem. Like to shoot a 400gr arrow total . can only find 125gr in Mech.
racking up points

Re: M405 an Mechanical Broadheads

Post by racking up points »

I shoot the FOC broadhead which has a detention system built-in and I still double band my expandables out of the MicroMax and my 410. Can't be too sure, IMO.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I had a 405 and shot numerous mechanicals. The most reliable 2 are probably the innerloc exp (excal x act) and the nap killzone crossbow. It can be tough to find a reliable mechanical for that bow
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
coop

Post by coop »

I use the 125gr swhacher shoots great, kill better!
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
Heavvyduty

Post by Heavvyduty »

coop wrote:I use the 125gr swhacher shoots great, kill better!
Are you double banding them? And what kind of arrow you shooting an wight
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Having had two premature deployment incidents recently -using a banded Grim Reaper- I went with a crossbow specific head: The Crossbow Killzone. Some of the thickest blades I've found (.039"), 2" cut and a retention system that will withstand the surge of a 405.
Using Slick Tricks and Spitfires in my two slower bows but the 'quickie' gets a diet of 100 gr Crossbow Killzones. Looked at the FOC but it's 175 gr weight is more than I want to shoot w/o changing the inserts of my arrows: 437 gr BEEs. That would put me over 500 gr and increase my trajectory substantially. But if I ever get to hunt hogs......
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
coop

Post by coop »

Heavvyduty wrote:
I tested one head shooting it 3 times with the single band it worked all three times, so no on double band. My arrow is 403gr GT laserII with Omni brites.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
Heavvyduty

Post by Heavvyduty »

coop wrote:
Heavvyduty wrote:
I tested one head shooting it 3 times with the single band it worked all three times, so no on double band. My arrow is 403gr GT laserII with Omni brites.
So yer saying you shoot a 528gr arrow total?
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

Heavvyduty
On my 405 I've had very good results with Grim Reapers. Don't buy regular heads. Get the crossbow model 1883. These were made for 400 fps plus speeds without the need for banding. Great bloodtrails. A couple of the deer I've taken so far fell without taking another step. Everyone has an opinion but this set up works great for me.
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
carperdoug

Post by carperdoug »

You might look at Wasp Archery. Wasp has a 3 bladed mechanical, the Jak X, that might fit your needs. It will come double banded. The two bladed Jak Knife will also work if double banded. Not many people mention Wasp but their products are quality and very robust.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Cossack wrote:Having had two premature deployment incidents recently -using a banded Grim Reaper- I went with a crossbow specific head: The Crossbow Killzone. Some of the thickest blades I've found (.039"), 2" cut and a retention system that will withstand the surge of a 405.
Using Slick Tricks and Spitfires in my two slower bows but the 'quickie' gets a diet of 100 gr Crossbow Killzones. Looked at the FOC but it's 175 gr weight is more than I want to shoot w/o changing the inserts of my arrows: 437 gr BEEs. That would put me over 500 gr and increase my trajectory substantially. But if I ever get to hunt hogs......
Sounds interesting ! Could you explain how the retention system works . Thanks
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]