Deer Season is Over

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Deer Season is Over

Post by vixenmaster »

That is true, but i am already workin on this up comin season that will be here in 7 1/2 months n some few days. Even us older Hunters need to pay more attention to things around the huntin area. Like ppl. across from my place clear cut their front 40 acres n put 4 Donkys in it! Changed the travel routes of the Bucks n Doe's. They jus quit comin from the new clear cut area on my West side. Bad fer me as my main Hang-on stand was set on that major travel route, :( I had to go to my 2nd Hang-On stand of which i did kill 5 Doe's n saw 1 shooter 7 pt n half dz small Bucks i passed on. I never could catch the 2 big Bucks by my Feeder durin the daylight. They had some big scraps but all their movin was at nite. Think i have cured that problem, jus got my 3rd Hang-On stand. I will put it up at 25' in a very nice White Oak thats right in the trail they come up out of the big nasty hollow n cut over they bed in. I got my 2 man Ladder stand set-up over on my leased property n goin to move the 2nd Hang-On stand over there . I will put it up in the tree i killed the double Doe's from. I am also goin to talk to the ppl. who own 80 acres jus down the road from my place to lease it. I see alot of deer when i drive by it on the county road. I found a big scrape about 5' in dia. n a lickin branch n a cedar thats 8" dia. thats been shredded by some big Buck/s. I will set my #1 Hang-On stand at 25-30 yds from it, fer the next season. I saw 76 deer this season n i gotstid to hunt 43 mornin's n 4 afternoons. Thats about 35 days less than i usually get to hunt. Weather n my Mrs. were the cause of that :(
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Heyu

Re: Deer Season is Over

Post by Heyu »

Yup, filling the freezer up is over for us. I was fortunate to get 3 whitetails. I always enjoy the after season also. Still put up trail cams in many different locations to see what is still out there, and for shed antler hunting. I'm surprised at the amount of buck's that survived this season. More than I normally see. And so far it's been a mild winter here in northern Michigan. Didn't get dumped with snow until after Christmas. It will help the deer survive better. We have 40 acres, and 20 of that is cedar. It fills up this time of year with a large amount of deer. They love the cedar to feed on when things get scarce. After season blues get to me. But I try to keep it going with still getting out with the trail cams and scouting for the rest of the year.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Be making my last stand next week. I got deer everywhere around here but can't get permission on any of the land they are wintering on here, probably why they are there!

So next week, going to head south and hit the big timber fer 10 to 12 days. Will be trying to fill my last 2 tags and can get a third fer one county down there if think it is worth it. Been wanting to go but was hoping fer some snow, and other than these 1/2" dustings we aint got chit! Be pack'n the truck this weekend then Mon or Tues I'm off till the 7th,,, and the wait fer another starts all over again,,,,,,, :(
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I'm still looking for a shooter buck also. I have until Jan-31st to hunt deer so I'm hoping to get out this weekend.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Waif

Post by Waif »

Adapt...like the deer do for sure.
I had to use a rifle to acquire one this year after a couple crossbow :oops: .
Routes had changed , but caught them on the change.
That white oak stand reads like a winner.
You gave them bucks a more than fair chance to make gifts of themselves.
Maybe next time!
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Same here mike, my neighbor across the road from me logged 50 acre's and darned near stripped it bare 6 yrs. ago now it has grown up so thick you can't hardly force your way through it, :!: but boy do the deer love it,, :) they use it as a bedding area and come through my place going to feed, then back through to bed. :D so it worked out fine for me :wink: I have 5 ladder stands up, and they all have produced well for me, I put 2 doe's down this year, I then hunted a very nice 10 pt. I seen late in oct. early in the rut saw him twice but never where I could get a shot. :( By the way Mike be careful putting up those stands at our age :shock: they can be harmful to your health :wink:

Dave
be very careful !!!!!!!!!! :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Sounds like most everyone had a good season It was bust for me, never saw a shootable deer during hunting light. Deer herd near me has been reduced to next to nothing by wolves, hard winters and Michigan's 2 buck license. First time in many years I came up dry. It most likely take 3-5yrs before it recovers and then that is being optimistic because of the wolves
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Well i'm flying out to southern M.S, Feb 2nd. For the last two weeks of the season. Taking my Marlin 444p outfitter, loaded with 265 grain meat slappers..My freezer is full, but our intentions are to bust up some hogs and thin the population, and to donate the meat to the local church, who really enjoyed the four hogs we gave them in Oct. Sure looking forward to ending the season with a bang....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
rayman

Post by rayman »

Good season here. The kid got two nice bucks which makes it great. Plenty of homemade hamburger and patty sausage in the freezer. Going to try dangdest to get in some trigger time with the excal this summer and make bow season 2016. :)
SEW

Post by SEW »

Tagged out. Still have till end of Feb. FOCs are starting to concern me: last 2 deer went nearly 5 yds and nearly 20 yards. Love the 405! :D
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

SEW wrote:Tagged out. Still have till end of Feb. FOCs are starting to concern me: last 2 deer went nearly 5 yds and nearly 20 yards. Love the 405! :D
Tagged out yer lucky Steve. I can't tag out here as they are unlimited antlerless tags at $7 a pop. I am goin to put up my latest Hang-On this week usin my climber. Think 25-30' up should do the trick on the blowin winds!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

SEW wrote:Tagged out. Still have till end of Feb. FOCs are starting to concern me: last 2 deer went nearly 5 yds and nearly 20 yards. Love the 405! :D
5 yards and 20 yards! :shock: ....Steve, I think you may have become a little spoiled with the DRT. :lol: :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.