Shimming a scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Shimming a scope

Post by paulaboutform »

If I was to cut small strips from a tin can, to fit in the bottom ring, how many strips could I use? ....2,3,4,8????

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

Re: Shimmying a scope

Post by flightattendant100 »

Not sure. I'm sure 2-3, but not so sure after that . If its on a rifle with bases, you can shim under the base as well. I have tried and had great luck with the Burris signature Zee rings with offset inserts. They are fairly expensive, but you wont mar your scope, and can move point of impact around quite a bit. just a thought
P.S, and use an aluminum can :D . There was LOTS of shim stock at Boofest last year!!! :shock:
paulaboutform

Re: Shimmying a scope

Post by paulaboutform »

flightattendant100 wrote:Not sure. I'm sure 2-3, but not so sure after that . If its on a rifle with bases, you can shim under the base as well. I have tried and had great luck with the Burris signature Zee rings with offset inserts. They are fairly expensive, but you wont mar your scope, and can move point of impact around quite a bit. just a thought
P.S, and use an aluminum can :D . There was LOTS of shim stock at Boofest last year!!! :shock:

Thanks Paul. I think I'll try four pieces and see how it goes. If it's enough I'll heat shrink them together. Thanks.

Paul
jparchery

Re: Shimming a scope

Post by jparchery »

Sinclair international sells shim kits, they come drilled so you can shim the base of the scope mount and not the ring itself. You can order it online
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

This is never a good idea ..what problems are you having. There must be a better way to deal with it .you can damage your scope tube by putting shims inside the rings and tighten to much.
addicted to canadian beaver
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

Shimming the bottom of the scope ring is the incorrect way to shim a scope. The base of the scope mount, either front or back should be shimmed, and higher you shim the base, the greater chance you will have of damaging your scope. SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL is a great company that sells all kinds of reloading and gun equipment, they sell scope shims designed specifically for the base of your scope mount.
If it's for your crossbow scope, I wouldn't use more than 3 layers of tin
"pop can" material, you may damage your scope with more than that. You need to shim the actual scope mounting rail somehow, Good luck
flightattendant100

jparchery wrote:Shimming the bottom of the scope ring is the incorrect way to shim a scope. The base of the scope mount, either front or back should be shimmed, and higher you shim the base, the greater chance you will have of damaging your scope. SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL is a great company that sells all kinds of reloading and gun equipment, they sell scope shims designed specifically for the base of your scope mount.
If it's for your crossbow scope, I wouldn't use more than 3 layers of tin
"pop can" material, you may damage your scope with more than that. You need to shim the actual scope mounting rail somehow, Good luck
Kinda tough on an Excal scope mount. :shock:
flightattendant100

Paul, have you looked at tremps way of doing this? its pretty involved but is a great way to be able to move scope. Don't discount the Burris rings. They are a good solution as well.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks for the replies guys. It's actually for the vortex viper I put on my M380 and I'm thinking of putting it on my upcoming 405. On my M380 with the HHA Optimizer I'm about two feet high at 20yards. I'm still way too high when I top out the scope. Without the HHA I'm fine. I really love my HHA and was hoping to use it but if it's too much of a pain I won't bother. I have the HHA on my Y25 Exomax and my M405 now and they're great.

Paul
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

Kinda tough on an Excal scope mount. :shock:
Exactly why I wished him luck :shock:
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

paulaboutform wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. It's actually for the vortex viper I put on my M380 and I'm thinking of putting it on my upcoming 405. On my M380 with the HHA Optimizer I'm about two feet high at 20yards. I'm still way too high when I top out the scope. Without the HHA I'm fine. I really love my HHA and was hoping to use it but if it's too much of a pain I won't bother. I have the HHA on my Y25 Exomax and my M405 now and they're great.

Paul
I had the same problem on my HHA with a Leupold 3-9x40, no matter what I did, shims...couldn't get it close to zero at 20y. I spoke with reps at Burris and Leupold and they confirmed that the sig Zees wouldn't offer enough elevation adjustment to get me zeroed at 20y. I put on a 1.5-4x20mm Leupold which has more internal elevation adjustment and no problems...except I'm under magnified for long distance which is why I bought the HHA in the first place!

I am beating a dead horse here as I have been saying this for a while, but I wish there was a trigger box with an extruded picatinny scope rail and integrated ADF. You'd save weight, lower the cheek weld and there would be less fasteners to shake loose because you'd be eliminating the scope rail. Maybe it's time to talk to your German buddy, Paul.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Derrick, I think you're onto something. I'll be making a trip out to see my German friend Detliff and I think I'll get him to have a look and see what he thinks. I bet he could build a trigger with the picatinny rail and ADF exactly as you described....and have the HHA incorporated into it as well. :D .....or I could try buying some low rings. :mrgreen:

Paul
Deerstalker

Re: Shimming a scope (Burris info)

Post by Deerstalker »

Information for the Burris Signature Zee rings.

Burris 1" Signature Zee Weaver-Style Rings
Enlarge Zoom in
Color:
Gloss
Matte
Height:
Medium
High
Select: Color, Height

Email this Page to a Friend
Sale Add to Cart for Price & SHIPS FREE List Price: $51.00 Quantity:
Add to Cart
Overview
Reviews (119)
Delivery Information
Shop more Burris products
The revolutionary Signature design produces consistent accuracy, tremendous gripping power and stress-free mounting. These steel rings include a pivoting synthetic insert that increases the scope-to-ring mounting surface while protecting the scope finish. Additional Pos-Align Offset Inserts can be purchased (sold separately) to correct any misalignment of receiver holes or rings or even to provide additional windage and elevation adjustment.

Technical Information

Material: Steel
Height: Medium=.77" High= .92"
Style: Weaver
Ring Diameter: 1"
Notes:
Signature rings have synthetic pivoting inserts which increase scope to ring surface area, create consistent accuracy, give more gripping power and enable scratch free and stress free mounting.
Mounting hardware included.

Offset Insert Option:
Signature rings may be used with Burris Pos-Align offset inserts (sold separately). These replace the standard inserts that are supplied with Signature rings and are used to move the scope tube within the ring itself rather than using the scope's windage and elevation adjustments alone.
Offset inserts are available in .005", .010" and .020" offset distances.
Offset inserts have the center opening offset by the amount of distance shown in the description. For example, .005" offset inserts will move the scope tube .005" toward the thinner of the two inserts. The inserts can be used to move the scope tube in the front ring, the rear ring or both rings. The inserts may also be used in any combination as long as the matched halves stay together. A set of .005" inserts may be used in the front ring and .010" inserts in the rear or whatever combination is needed.
If the inserts are used to move the front of the scope tube to the right, the point of impact at 100 yards will move to the left approximately 5 inches. If the scope tube is moved in the rear ring to the right, the point of impact will move to the right.
Inserts can be used to move the scope tube in any direction needed for windage and/or elevation.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Good info deerstalker. Even with the max amount of down adjustment the sig zees provide I would have been about 6" high at 20y according to the Burris people I spoke to. Those rings might help some but It works better on rifles because the zero adjustments are done at much longer ranges. It's hard to bring a scope down 20-30" at 20y when you have already bottomed out your elevation adjustment. Don't give up, Paul. Just talk to Detleff :lol:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Derrick, have you tried low rings? All the tac rings I have are high rings. I don't think low rings would be a problem for space because you're sitting so high with the HHA on top of the ADF.

Paul