Is This Really Archery Hunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Is This Really Archery Hunting?

Post by CT.HNTR »

I was at the SHOT show in Las Vegas last week and saw the new Crosman Pioneer Airbow made by Benjamin.

The Airbow is a pneumatically powered weapon (3,000 psi) that fires a 375 grain bolt at 450 fps. Crosman told me that starting with California they are working with state agencies to get the Airbow approved for hunting during regular archery seasons.

I was somewhat taken back by this as I don’t understand how you can call it archery hunting when there is no string? Yes it shoots arrows but that’s all it has in common with archery. I was curious what the forum members thought about legalizing this technology for hunting during regulated archery seasons?

I for one would be very much against this but I may be in the minority.

https://www.crosman.com/airbow
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
john g

Re: Is This Really Archery Hunting?

Post by john g »

First time I've heard of it. Seems that it is crossing the line so to speak. No string or limbs takes it out of the archery category for me. There will be those that will insert the vertical vs. horizontal argument here, but I think this another "animal"
all together. I need limbs & strings. I don't like the tank either. Wouldn't want to haul that around in woods.

Garry
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I think it's just another way of launching an arrow and doesn't offend me at all. Seems to me that the traditional shooters are anti everything but traditional gear, compound shooters are anti crossbows, and I guess crossbow shooters can now be anti airbows. Do you see the irony in all this? One argument says pulleys, wheels, cables, sights isn't archery. Another argument says if you're not drawing the bow and holding the string yourself it's not archery. The way I see it, you're launching an arrow. Period....btw, I also put an atlatl in the archery category. Just my opinion.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

I got to shoot that thing at the ATA show. Its loud. Did i say loud?
It was kinda neat to play with it. I dont like the whole kit you need to shoot it. Air tanks etc.
To each their own, i know i would never own one.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

When you combine the best of both worlds you end up with shiet. I love archery and firearms but this package doesn't interest me to the point of buying or hunting with one. Would I like to shoot it? hell yes but I betya the cost of one of these makes it much more than just a novelty. I would rather have a pcp air rifle that shoots a pellet.

edit: to answer the op's question: its a gun that fires a projectile not propelled by a string. The projectile happens to be an arrow. In my mind its not archery.

Another hard question would be: a precharged crossbow (electric, air etc), gun or archery? theres a youtube video somewhere of a semi auto crossbow. yikers. fine lines
Last edited by one shot scott on Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

MHO it doesn't fall under the Acrhery catagory, it has no limbs nor string. So its not a Bow of any type!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

I would buy it in a heart beat. I'm a hunter. I want a weapon that gives me the best chance to harvest an animal ethically. I hope they allow it to be used for bow seasons here in Ontario
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

If I was able to stick an arrow in my 12Ga and fire a blank shell with just a wad or something and propel the arrow that way is that now a "Bow"?...............I don't think so. So IMO this thing is a gun that fires an arrow. It would be cool to shoot I think. Especially super long distance....at targets
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
rein1

Post by rein1 »

vixenmaster wrote:MHO it doesn't fall under the Acrhery catagory, it has no limbs nor string. So its not a Bow of any type!
I'm sure most states won't allow it for bow hunting ...
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

I do love my PCP air rifles. Have alot of different calibers. From small game to deer, wild boar, ect. Very accurate and deadly with the right pellet. This novelty model don't spark any interest for me at all. There was talk of this 10 year's ago in the HPA rifle world. Wasn't something we were excited about. Now one of my brother's on the other hand, likes the different off the wall pcp things. When the large calibers were first coming out, he just had to have the 50 cal one. Which isn't out of the normal now in air rifles. I'm sure it will sell to some for the cool effects. Did you know the explorer's Lewis & Clarke carried with them a precharged air rifle too? Yup.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

air bow...air guitar same difference with either of those you have to imagine the second word. using Benjamin`s definition a Titan II missile is a arrow.
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

If I take the shot out of a shotgun shell and replace it with a dowel c/w broadhead attached and shoot it out of my shotgun is that legal for archery too?
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul,
IMO, you have a very wide defination of what's archey. But I'll respect it as it's coming from you. Whom I value and count as a friend ....

I'm wondering though, if you would give the same defination to a hand thrown spear ? Or would it possibly need to be outfitted with feathers or vanes to be considered "Archery" ?

Personally, I'd probably choose the spear myself, over the Crossman what-cha-ma-call-it :wink: :lol: :lol:

Gene :wink:
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Archery involves arrow and string for propulsion. One could do the same thing with a muzzleloader and it still wouldn't be archery.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

We could always modify our compressed air nail guns and have a semi auto loading quill shooter. Of coarse we would have to glue vanes on each nail to qualify. :lol:
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.