New member-arrow/broadhead question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Trooper

New member-arrow/broadhead question

Post by Trooper »

I'm a longtime firearm whitetail hunter but new to crossbows and archery.
Just bought a new Grizzly and am wondering about an arrow/broadband combo. I don't have a lot of time and money to experiment so I'd like to stick to stock," bolt on" stuff. After reading lots of reviews I'd like to try the 125 grn. G5 Strikers on my 18" Diablo arrows. Total weight of 375 grns. Not sure if FOC would be okay. Or should I go with the 150 grn. Boltcutters for 400 grns. Heavier or faster? The Boltcutters get great reviews also but seems many report minimal blood trails. Kinda liked the cut on contact Strikers but would like some advice from the more experienced members. Thanks
paulaboutform

Re: New member-arrow/broadhead question

Post by paulaboutform »

I believe for your stock setup you'd be best of to stick with the 150gr points/broadheads. You could also consider the 150gr Slick Trick broadheads. They're awesome. Keep in mind, you should also have the means to either sharpen the broadheads or buy the replacement blades because it's imperative you shoot and test the broadheads before shooting at an animal. They may group excellent but may have a different point of impact as your field points.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Welcome Trooper. Like you, I stayed stock with my bow. Like others, I have experienced a few meager blood trails with the Boltcutters. With that said, I have never lost a deer using them either. I chocked it up to higher hits that took more time for the blood to fill up to the impact site. Going stock with 150 gr. will give you a higher foc, which will give you better accuracy, better penetratration, and less wind drift.
You can achieve the same thing by removing the front aluminum arrow insert and replacing it with a brass insert. This will open up a huge range of broadheads in the 100 gr. category that you can choose from while still retaining the benefits of 150 grs. at the head of your arrow. I give you this option because there isn't a big selection of 150 grain broadheads to choose from. Something to think about.
Oh yeah, keep your thumb down and away from the triangle of pain. You bought a nice bow, have fun and shoot safe. :D
Hank
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The BH n weight of yer choice is certainly a workable combo. Several heavier 150gr BH's that also are the cats meow, i love the 150gr Stingers, those Slicks are sweet also. Boltcutters are fine, remember the closer to the Heart n double lungs in lower third of body throw lots more blood on the ground!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Trooper

Post by Trooper »

Thanks for the replies. Been learning tons on this site! Really feeling good about my decision to get an Excal. Can't wait for spring! A little cold up here yet to shoot outside. Definitely will sight in with my hunting arrows before climbing into the stand next fall. I like the simplicity of just going with a heavier broadhead for now anyway. Thanks for suggesting the 150 grn Slick Tricks. I overlooked them somehow. Seems 4 blades would be better than 3. One more slice going through!
More suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks again, Dan
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....welcome aboard Trooper...you have definitely come to the right place for information and CB selection...I will defer to others on what goes with the grizzly...you mentioned "it being cold up here!"....where are you from...why not update your registration with that information...it helps in directing others to help you and point you to the right place.

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

Trooper,I use the 150 grain Bolt Cutters broadheads but,use them on 2219 aluminum arrows.I get complete pass throughs on all animals shot. I first start off using the 150 grain field points on the aluminum arrow just to get me sighted in at the 20 yard cross hair.Once I'm sighted in at the 20yard distance,I switch to the 150 grain Bolt Cutter and fine tune my scope.I use the same original 150 grain Bolt Cutter Broadhead that I sighted my scope with for target shooting,saving the other broadheads for actual hunting.Once my bow is sighted in using a broadhead,I only target practice with that same broadhead.I do not switch back to field points.You can use the carbon Fire Bolts that come with the bow,but I prefer aluminum arrows.Just works better for me..
Trooper

Post by Trooper »

Thanks Anthony. I'm from Minnesota. I thought I filled everything out when I registered.( location, birthday and such) I will double check that stuff. I live in Minnesota but I hunt some private land in western Wisconsin.