Crossbows across the border

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hillcountry

Crossbows across the border

Post by Hillcountry »

This may have been covered before but I'll ask anyway...
Are there any restrictions with taking a crossbow from USA into Quebec?
We may travel north to visit a friend's sugar shack and I was thinking of bringing my Micro 355 for some fun.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
paulaboutform

Re: Crossbows across the border

Post by paulaboutform »

No problem at all. If you have a receipt for your bow you may want to bring it for U.S. customs on your return home. Either way, no problem.

Paul

.....you could take this opportunity to finish filling in your profile so we know where you're from. Hillcountry....as in Texas? ....Kerreville area?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

When you cross you can request a customs sticker for your bow, that way they can't try to ding you as though you purchased the bow on your trip.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

paulaboutform wrote:No problem at all. If you have a receipt for your bow you may want to bring it for U.S. customs on your return home. Either way, no problem.

Paul

.....you could take this opportunity to finish filling in your profile so we know where you're from. Hillcountry....as in Texas? ....Kerreville area?

Okay, I'll do that...not Texas...much further North!

Profile updated!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Pydpiper wrote:When you cross you can request a customs sticker for your bow, that way they can't try to ding you as though you purchased the bow on your trip.
Hmmm...not sure if I want a sticker on my bow...how big of a sticker?
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

paulaboutform wrote:No problem at all. If you have a receipt for your bow you may want to bring it for U.S. customs on your return home. Either way, no problem.

Paul

So, do you have to take it out and show customs? I remember the one time I brought firearms into Canada many years ago for a NB hunt we had to bring the firearms inside and fill out information on them...
Thanks for the answers!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
kamski1151

Post by kamski1151 »

Only if they request to see it, I went on a Bear hunt in Canada last August with my crossbow they never asked to see it,but they asked me if I had bear spray which I did and they wanted to see that.they wanted to make sure it said bear deturant on label???
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

I have traveled back an forth into B.C. just a ton of times to visit my friends in Grand Forks both to just visit and to hunt. The one thing I consistently do is stop in US customs before crossing and getting a declaration form filled out for any valuables that I am transporting across such expensive Binos, Camera, Rifle, Bow, etc .. There are declaration forms for firearms that need to be filled out on the Canadian side. I have only ever had problems returning when I was questioned by U.S border patrol wondering where I bought my Leica Binoculars. the only time we were searched was by the US because we had blood stains on the truck tail gate and they proceeded to go thru our coolers which empty.. all the found was the cape from my cougar and bobcat :lol:
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....I guess I was lucky last year...I had no problem either going into Canada or coming out...The USCO did see my cigars on my right seat and wanted to see them to see if I was taking Cubans back :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

A crossbow is not considered a firearm in Canada. Advise them you have archery gear with you for target shooting or hunting. The receipt is all you need to prove it was brought with you when you arrived. Otherwise US Customs could try and make you pay duty if they think you have purchased it in Canada on your way back home. Never heard of them putting stickers on stuff but perhaps US customs does that.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Here is a web page Canada Customs has which should answer most of your questions.
In my experience just showing up at the border hopeful for the best is a bad choice.
Nothing worst than being turned around or worse yet successfully cross over the Canada / US Border only to be stopped on the way back and find you may be in violation of the Customs Act.
Enjoy your trip.
THE BEST ADVICE for sure is to take the time to STOP at BOTH ( US / Canada Customs Offices) coming or going if it is your first time carrying a item like a crossbow across the border.
What is acceptable crossing in one direction may be quite different going the back the other way.
Plus as well every border crossing can be different depending on the State or Province you are crossing between.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... 4-eng.html

CC
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hillcountry wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:When you cross you can request a customs sticker for your bow, that way they can't try to ding you as though you purchased the bow on your trip.
It's not big, and wont leave a mess when you get home and take it off. I think Vixchix had a photo up of one a while back, a long while back.
It is just customs way of proving it came with you in the first place.
It is all an effortless process with archery equipment. Muzzleloaders is the same way. Canada does not care what comes in, firearms, ammo.. as long as you have the proper licence. It is the US side that is the problem, but they don't classify muzzleloaders as a firearm, at least not one that will cause grief at the border.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Pydpiper wrote:
Hillcountry wrote:
It's not big, and wont leave a mess when you get home and take it off. I think Vixchix had a photo up of one a while back, a long while back.
It is just customs way of proving it came with you in the first place.
It is all an effortless process with archery equipment. Muzzleloaders is the same way. Canada does not care what comes in, firearms, ammo.. as long as you have the proper licence. It is the US side that is the problem, but they don't classify muzzleloaders as a firearm, at least not one that will cause grief at the border.
Okay thanks! I have enough info to be prepared when and if I go...
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

amythntr wrote:.....I guess I was lucky last year...I had no problem either going into Canada or coming out...The USCO did see my cigars on my right seat and wanted to see them to see if I was taking Cubans back :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Anthony :)
The cigars or the people???

Which Cubans did you buy?
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Hunt it wrote:A crossbow is not considered a firearm in Canada. Advise them you have archery gear with you for target shooting or hunting. The receipt is all you need to prove it was brought with you when you arrived. Otherwise US Customs could try and make you pay duty if they think you have purchased it in Canada on your way back home. Never heard of them putting stickers on stuff but perhaps US customs does that.
Not yet, but they tried with Bill C68 and failed.