Crossbows across the border

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Re: Crossbows across the border

Post by Pydpiper »

va3cgt wrote:
Hunt it wrote:A crossbow is not considered a firearm in Canada. Advise them you have archery gear with you for target shooting or hunting. The receipt is all you need to prove it was brought with you when you arrived. Otherwise US Customs could try and make you pay duty if they think you have purchased it in Canada on your way back home. Never heard of them putting stickers on stuff but perhaps US customs does that.
Not yet, but they tried with Bill C68 and failed.
And at the rate they are going, it won't be too long either. The speeds bows are producing right now are incredible, and they are starting to resemble firearms more and more.
On another post I have a photo of my daughter with her moms bow, can't really see the limbs on it due to angle. Same photo on facebook I got "what kind of gun is that, and why are their arrows on it?", I had to go look at the picture again to see what they were talking about. They weren't being sarcastic, just not well versed in what we do.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TPM

Post by TPM »

We've crossed back and forth a number of times with our crossbows and haven't had an issue yet. We have both of our bows stickered but so far have never been questioned on them. Each time we've told them we are going to and archery event an we have our gear with us.
In Canada you can get stuff stickered at any Canada Customs office so it's beneficial to do it ahead of time to save time at the border crossing. Our local office gave seperate stickers for the bow and the scope.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

You don't need to stop anywhere but the crossing booth. I've traveled back and forth with my crossbow countless times. As said, just be proactive and tell the customs officer you have archery equipment.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

paulaboutform wrote:You don't need to stop anywhere but the crossing booth. I've traveled back and forth with my crossbow countless times. As said, just be proactive and tell the customs officer you have archery equipment.

Paul
Thanks!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360