Rope Burn Anyone?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MTBighorn

Rope Burn Anyone?

Post by MTBighorn »

I like to shoot a couple dozen arrows in the evenings to get some trigger time in...but also for a little exercise. I shoot offhand at 40yds and cock my bow fairly quickly through 4 arrows. And then retrieve. I usually loop my rope-cocker over my shoulders, and behind my neck..Just like I see lots of people doing.

The other day as I lifted my bow to shoot , I saw the rope-cocker draped over the string. NO I didn't shoot! :mrgreen: This would surely ruin your day!

But it got me wondering if this is a safe practice, or does anyone know of someone accidentally having this happen to them as they fired off an arrow...and most of there neck skin! :shock: :mrgreen: :?
hankenhunter

Re: Rope Burn Anyone?

Post by hankenhunter »

I do, but I always tuck the hooks and handles inside my shirt or coat. And yes, there is a member who got nailed. He's lucky he didn't lose anything.
Hank

Post by newbie »

Ask Boo, he will tell you over the neck is BAD place.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I cringe when I see people doing that for the very reason you just mentioned. I don't even want to imagine the results had you not noticed and pulled the trigger. Results could be deadly...literally. :(

I usually stuff mine in my pocket, toss it on the ground next to me or drape it over my hip quiver if I'm wearing it. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I take my arrows and lay them on the ground when shooting target. After cocking I throw the cocking rope by the arrows. Check to see I have an arrow seated properly, then shoot. I nicked my thumb once so that teaches you real quick to have a mental check list and take your time.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Did not DO that yet but I shot arrow that I did not have in bow.DRY FIRE..Thank gosh for dry fire system....
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Never gave it a taught thanks for the warning. :roll:
W.M.
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I always tuck my rope handles in my pocket and leave the rope dangling down my leg. Another situation similar to this happened to a man I heard about. Seems he was leaning forward watching a deer through his binoculars. when the deer came closer (he had the binoculars hanging from a strap around his neck.) he lowered the glasses unaware that they had fallen over his string. When he shot, the string jerked the strap giving him a rope burn. He was lucky the strap was a flimbsy one and broke. Otherwise it might have broken his neck.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

OH MY GOSH! That's horrifying to me. I hang the rope around my neck and that never occurred to me. This literally put a knot in my stomach! I've also had a perpetual fear of shooting an arrow through my foot so all my arrows are long enough that can't happen. I think I have to modify my shot process. Thanks for posting. :|

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

I think doing that causes "Red Neck" or maybe the other way around. :oops: :lol:
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Caution graphic xxxxxxxxxxxx

Worst case scenario if both handles or hooks get caughl up at the same time.

Would suspect the result could be your scope implanted into your brain through your eye socket. Then have the rope continue to rip up the back of your head as it peels your scalp up over your head.

Cc

Will continue to put both handles in my pant pocket as a matter of routine and easy to access.
TenshiB

Post by TenshiB »

When shooting the crossbow at targets or when I'm hunting, I've always thought of this problem. So I try not to have ANYthing possibly dangling from my neck. Just think about it the possibilities: the little strings that dangle down from a hoodie, a grunt call, binoculars (I know, already mentioned), range finder, etc.. I just keep 'em in my pockets while hunting and make it so that the ones I go to the most (like the range finder) are in the easier-to-get-to pockets.

When target shooting, I either stuff the rope cocker in my pocket, or toss it to the ground. Also, I like to go ahead and cock the crossbow before I retrieve my arrows and then take my time before the initial arrow fires, because I know that when I'm hunting, the crossbow will be cocked for hours sometimes before I get to shoot..
Axiom with a Murphy's G String
Older Exomax with Triggertech Trigger
Nikon Bolt xr
Vortex Viper xbr
Firebolts with 150gr Boltcutters
Executioners with 125gr G5 Strikers
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

You guys sure have some great replies to this!! I hope this information saves someone from a very bad day!! Maybe this should be a "sticky"??

I can safely say that I have officially added this rule of NOT hanging my rope around my neck, to the list of things to NEVER DO!...kind of a hard habit to break cause it is quite handy and fast to hang your rope over your neck.

\\Don't run with scissors or broadheads in your hand!
\\Never call your ex when you have been drinking! :lol:
\\ Mountain lions are dangerous when cornered in the rocks! (yes my Avatar pic is real!)
\\\Not a good idea to hang things around your neck that could get caught in your crossbow string!!!!!

To each his own...but one does not need much of an imagination to realize that if the hook snagged in ones eye-socket, on its' way by at 380fps....This would be a very bad day!! :twisted: :shock: :?

Be safe out there!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Been there, done that with a dog whistle no less :roll: My dog always looks for downed game after I shoot with anything, which stops me from shooting a second time. So I blew my dog whistle to bring her back in. Well, on my second shot (while thinking my dog's an idiot) the cord was found on the ground and whistle no where to be found. I ran over to my truck mirror with my hand on my neck to see if I was bleeding. :shock: It hurt so much that I thought for sure that I was going to see something bad!
As usual, distractions get us in trouble and it's always good to shoot with an empty bladder! Just a welt around the neck and I was wide awake after that :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I have been shooting for quite a few years . To be honest never thought about that . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus