Using solder gun to heat screw bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Using solder gun to heat screw bolts

Post by sproulman »

I have solder gun with trigger that gets hot to solder with a tip ..Wondering if this could be used to heat our screw bolts on bow to loosen the loc-tite?My bow is at Woodys I could not even get my air brake bolts off stripped heads trying..No more loc-tite for me ever..Use fingernail polish instead ...
Last edited by sproulman on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Using solder gun to heat bolts

Post by Hunt it »

Not sure if that will get hot enough. I use one of the micro torches that use a butane lighter for juice, does the locative trick every time.

Post by newbie »

ive seen them use it for inserts before. I would think it would work good.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

newbie wrote:ive seen them use it for inserts before. I would think it would work good.
I noticed that solder guns with trigger get real hot vrs those ones that look like pencil with just tip...I saw Aaron at gun shop put that type of solder gun on screws that heads were stripped and got them out...So thought I would put it here loc-tite really screwed me up I never used it until now on anything I used fingernail polish for years ...
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Soldering gun would probably do the trick. If you have a dremel tool you could also cut a slot in the screw head to remove them with a screw driver.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

burrard wrote:
sproulman wrote:I have solder gun with trigger that gets hot to solder with a tip ..Wondering if this could be used to heat our bolts on bow to loosen the loc-tite?My bow is at Woodys I could not even get my air brake bolts off stripped heads trying..No more loc-tite for me ever..Use fingernail polish instead ...
If I can ask sproulman wouldn't it be a lot easier just to take the front end off with the limbs attached ,than send it back to your dealer .Why take chance of burning yourself or destroying more parts .Than ask for a new front end I sure with Excalibur great service(no pun intended) your dealer would not mind.

burrard, great idea and that is what I did.I was going to use tube for just limbs like Gene suggested but had to use box to ship the whole thing like you said..I still cannot believe I stripped heads of bolts I am mechanic too with experience but that loc-tite won on this one..

Aaron at gunshop uses a impact driver with your allen type bit in it.He said it works great you hammer the driver and it turns the bolts at same time little by little..He gets a lot of loc-tite bolts out with that driver and hammer....
Last edited by sproulman on Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Problem I see is you have to make contact with the bolt with the solder gun could melt the bolt . I use a little grill lighter and heat the bolt where the insert is and pull on the insert with my threaded arrow puller screwed in to the insert . Takes seconds ,
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

hunter with MS wrote:Problem I see is you have to make contact with the bolt with the solder gun could melt the bolt . I use a little grill lighter and heat the bolt where the insert is and pull on the insert with my threaded arrow puller screwed in to the insert . Takes seconds ,
My problem is BOLTS on bow themselves after using Loc-tite little afraid to heat bolts with fire and hard to do at times just seeing if anyone ever used those real hot trigger soldering guns placed on the bolt hole and allowed to heat the bolts?
CarlV

Post by CarlV »

I use the least intrusive way first, and elevate to whatever is needed to remove stuck screws/bolts.

First, make sure you have a very good edge on the screwdriver, allen wrench, or socket you are using. Judisous grinding on a screwdriver, or purchase the correct tip often will do the trick, carefully grinding an allen wrench flat on the bottom works good too, I use a 6 point socket and grind the bottom (part you put over the fastener) flat so the inside flats go all the way to the bottom of the socket.

So you've stripped it. Find a torx driver that will just not fit in the buggered up hole. The kind you use a ratchet to turn. Carefully tap the torx socket into the top of the stripped screw. Really works well for crosshead and allen type screwheads.

Your idea of using the soldering iron will often work. Hold the trigger and get the tip red hot before settiing it on the screw/bolt head. Hold it there for 30 sec or so and try to loosen it.

Next up for me is using a dremmel tool to cut a slot in the top of the head and using a flat tip screwdriver. I like to use a gunsmithing screwdriver because it will fit better. Dave Wyverne has a good video showing this on his store website. I'll try to post a shorcut: https://youtu.be/SFtjQ_T4qaM

Next is to carefully drill a small hole down into the screw or bolt. Easy to center it on a crosshead or torx, file a flat on the top of the fastener head first for a conventional flat screwdriver head. THen use a reverse drill bit of the right size and try to remove it that way.

Next to last for me is to drill the appropriate size hole in the bolt head/shank and use an easy out.

If that doesn't work, once I've had to find someone with an EDM machine (actually found one 20 minutes from home) Ask at the local machine shop, they will know where to find one. Guy charged me $20 and removed that screw without a trace of a mark on the gun anywhere.

Failing all that ..... sell the darn thing and buy another one :)
If I can't modify it ... it isn't worth owning
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

j.krug wrote:Soldering gun would probably do the trick. If you have a dremel tool you could also cut a slot in the screw head to remove them with a screw driver.

Great...I was surprised at gun shop when I saw chewed up screws come out after he put the soldering gun on screws..He said I wish folks would use Fingernail Polish instead but it is good business for Aaron and he likes people a lot..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

CarlV wrote:I use the least intrusive way first, and elevate to whatever is needed to remove stuck screws/bolts.

First, make sure you have a very good edge on the screwdriver, allen wrench, or socket you are using. Judisous grinding on a screwdriver, or purchase the correct tip often will do the trick, carefully grinding an allen wrench flat on the bottom works good too, I use a 6 point socket and grind the bottom (part you put over the fastener) flat so the inside flats go all the way to the bottom of the socket.

So you've stripped it. Find a torx driver that will just not fit in the buggered up hole. The kind you use a ratchet to turn. Carefully tap the torx socket into the top of the stripped screw. Really works well for crosshead and allen type screwheads.

Your idea of using the soldering iron will often work. Hold the trigger and get the tip red hot before settiing it on the screw/bolt head. Hold it there for 30 sec or so and try to loosen it.

Next up for me is using a dremmel tool to cut a slot in the top of the head and using a flat tip screwdriver. I like to use a gunsmithing screwdriver because it will fit better. Dave Wyverne has a good video showing this on his store website. I'll try to post a shorcut: https://youtu.be/SFtjQ_T4qaM

Next is to carefully drill a small hole down into the screw or bolt. Easy to center it on a crosshead or torx, file a flat on the top of the fastener head first for a conventional flat screwdriver head. THen use a reverse drill bit of the right size and try to remove it that way.

Next to last for me is to drill the appropriate size hole in the bolt head/shank and use an easy out.

If that doesn't work, once I've had to find someone with an EDM machine (actually found one 20 minutes from home) Ask at the local machine shop, they will know where to find one. Guy charged me $20 and removed that screw without a trace of a mark on the gun anywhere.

Failing all that ..... sell the darn thing and buy another one :)

lol on last part..You are right Aaron has best tool set I ever saw and his bits are square perfect mine is gunsmith set but my bits are slightly rounded his are not..It was made by BROWNELL what a set of bits...
hunter with MS

Re: Using solder gun to heat screw bolts

Post by hunter with MS »

You can heat the loc tit bolts you won't have it on long enough to burn anything . Solder gun will not produce enough heat use the lighter and move it back and forth across the bolt not leaving it in one place for long and try turning the bolt . That is how Car repair people remove loc tit bolts .
Normous

Post by Normous »

One only needs enough heat directed at the fastener head only to soften the factory Loc Tite. A soldering gun will work fine if applied for longer periods. I prefer a small mini torch lighter that is cheaper and more compact.

When removing limbs one only requires to remove only one limb strap bolt per side. With one shoulder bolt out the metal limb strap can be rotated freeing the limb, and a vise grip can easily be clamped on to remover the other bolt.

The new ti64 titanium limb strap screws are very worth purchasing the way I see it it because the 5/32" parallel socket head screws are superior to the factory supplied shoulder bolts that easily round out during removal if heat is not used.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

sproulman wrote:I have solder gun with trigger that gets hot to solder with a tip ..Wondering if this could be used to heat our screw bolts on bow to loosen the loc-tite?My bow is at Woodys I could not even get my air brake bolts off stripped heads trying..No more loc-tite for me ever..Use fingernail polish instead ...
Clean and degrease, the use 100% clear silicone sealant. Shoot tomorrow. The screws will NEVER come loose and you can take them out any time you want. As for removing the inserts...Can you just cut them off an inch? sure easy way to do this( this was a Boo suggestion to me a few years ago) worked fine and nobody knew the difference.
Normous

Post by Normous »

We can certainly agree that it is NOT difficult to turn a screw yourself.
Joe, you have given VERY poor advice to others on this forum in the past under the various 20 or so names that you have used and this poor advice is very much one of the concerns that we have with you here.

Last week before you were banned you suggested making the best strings using cat guts and piano wire.
It is no wonder that you have been banned 25 PLUS times from this forum
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family