New member here.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Predator55

New member here.

Post by Predator55 »

Just join the board today and am waiting for my grizzly cub to arrive. Can only use a xbow for the last few weeks of the season here in IL, so I decided the cub with the shorter length of pull would be good due to cold weather clothing. Haven't read any reviews on the cub, just wondering if I made the right choice? Will the cub perform in the deer woods?
Predator55

Re: New member here.

Post by Predator55 »

Could also use some guidence on arrow set up and looking for some scope recommendations. Thanks!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D :D
You will have no problem with the model you have...will kill anything you want 8)
My advice is to shoot it for a while with what came with it. When you gain some knowledge then you can start to get fancy with you set up. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Welcome
You have a sufficient outfit . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

Welcome you really only need some Bolt cutter broad heads , and you will be all set.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

First order of business is to understand brace height, and get a stringing aide.
Welcome aboard, and congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

I shoot longbows and recurve so so I'm family with brace. Doesn't the bow come strung from the factory? I plan on upgrading to a matrix string and not sure what I get with the bow. I got it at cabelas on sale and was unsure if I got the kit or not and so was the operator lol. If it is the kit are those red dots they come with any good? I also have some 2219 eastons, anyone use aluminium arrows? from what I've gathered, Nikon, Leupold are a couple good scopes to use.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Brace height on these Crossbows will drift as the string stretches. There is a minimum height you need to be cautious of to prevent damage to the bow, string, and bumpers. Not complicated, but the stringing tool is a must! Here on this site you can watch videos that may not be for your particular model, but the concept is identical. Ask questions, the members here will all help you get the most of that baby!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

xcaliber wrote:Brace height on these Crossbows will drift as the string stretches. There is a minimum height you need to be cautious of to prevent damage to the bow, string, and bumpers. Not complicated, but the stringing tool is a must! Here on this site you can watch videos that may not be for your particular model, but the concept is identical. Ask questions, the members here will all help you get the most of that baby!
X2 excellent advice, you have a fine hunting bow! Welcome to the forum, come back often, there is a lot of good advice here!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the addiction!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
buildingandrenovatio

Post by buildingandrenovatio »

i have a grizzly cub it is a great little bow it is the same as the grizzly if you put a fast flight string on it. it comes with a b50 dacron string .a have the same bow my fast flight string was put on by dr dan excalibur repair rep i shoot 2216 cut down to 16 inchs 100grain point 368 grains total do not shot the same spot it will robinhood your arrows good luck with you new bow and welcome ps i have used 100grain swackers and magnes 2blade 100 grains both shoot very well
Retired United States Airforce

Excalibur Cub
middleton
Barnett Jackel
Barnett Panzer v mod 200 lbs
Horton Tacoma
MK 1501a1(175lbs limb)
MK 150 3c (175lbs limb)
MK120 1c (175lbs limb)
MK180 1c (130 lbs)
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

So I assume I can use shorter arrows? They recommend a 150 tip but I assume as long as the minimum total weight is 350 it's good to go? I have a bunch of 2219 eastons I plan on cutting down and using. I've notice a lot of the bhs are small, anyone use a wensel woodsman?
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

The biggest problem with BH`s as you know . Some fly great and others will steer the front like no tomorrow . :shock:
I have used 2117 and 2219 for years . If you have a bunch play around with a bunch of combo`s .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
buildingandrenovatio

Post by buildingandrenovatio »

if i rember correctly jack pine uses a 14 or 15 inch 2219 and i have used some 17 inch 2219 they shot good but i was looking for a little more speed i have shoot some 2213 cut down 350 grain but made me a little nervios so i went with the 2216 which is 18 grain over min grains shoot very well have robin hood a couple that is expensive but they hit right where i am looking and are shoot close to 300fps my bow will shoot 305fps with 350grain arrow you can shoot as short 14 inch arrows but the broad head will be inside the pocket of the riser but still safe
Retired United States Airforce

Excalibur Cub
middleton
Barnett Jackel
Barnett Panzer v mod 200 lbs
Horton Tacoma
MK 1501a1(175lbs limb)
MK 150 3c (175lbs limb)
MK120 1c (175lbs limb)
MK180 1c (130 lbs)
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

You made a fine choice that cub will be a real joy to shoot and very accurate/ dependable.
Welcome to the forum .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.