Micro 355 vs Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

UWbadger1013

Micro 355 vs Matrix 380

Post by UWbadger1013 »

I am looking at getting the micro 355. I currently have the matrix 380 and do most of my hunting from the ground. My main question is, is will the loss of 25 fps be enough to make a difference at all? My furthest shot I am willing to take would likely be 50-55 yds. I think the micro 355 really would fit my hunting situation well, being that i hunt mainly on the ground and have to possibility of far shots. Looking for any opinions before i purchase a new one
LongCarbine

Re: Micro 355 vs Matrix 380

Post by LongCarbine »

Welcome to the forum
I shoot a 355 matrix w/ 400 grain arrows . It shoots plenty flat for me. 55 yards is a long shot on a white-tail When I hunted with a recurve my max was 20 maybe 25 yards. Over the years with a good compound I thought 50 yards was in my range. Then I got my first crossbow and thought 60 -70 yards was ok . I shoot my crossbows out to 100 yards and shoot a lot , no paper plate is safe :D . Now after a few years I KNOW MY max range to shoot at a deer is 40 yards and if everything is just right maybe 45 yards. Set up 10 yards closer .That last 10 yards means a lot. All this is just MY opinion . Best of luck
JIM
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
UWbadger1013

Post by UWbadger1013 »

thanks for the input and nice to join the forum. how about accuracy between a micro 335/355 vs a matrix 380? and significant difference?
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

With both of my bows off a rest I don't shoot at the same bullseye any more :lol:
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yer not goin to knowed much diff in under 40 yds, 50 yds you can tell, 60 yds no doubt about it. Accuracy they on equal footin wid good arrows. I have had both the 380 n the Micro 355 & i have a Micro 335. They have the power n the speed fer the yardage yer talkin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

I am also a member of the "Can't Have Too Many Excaliburs" club. :mrgreen:

But I can see NO way to improve over the Matrix 380...so I just bought another 380 in a different color :lol:

The 380 is Awsome!!! But it EATS arrows (as you probably know)....shots on small (or any) game on the ground just about guarantees a trashed or lost arrow... and if you shoot at the same place twice on a target you can pretty much kiss another good arrow goodbye :?

I have been doing all my evening practice between 80 and 120 yards offhand. I was really on my "game" yesterday. Getting really clean, center trigger breaks, and I broke an arrow at 107 yards last night, so I moved back to 120 yards in hopes to open my group a little bit to save on arrows...3 arrows out of 4 right on top of each other with 1 of them destroyed :lol: ...

The 355 will surely destroy arrows just as well :lol: ...so if 0.7 lbs and 2.1" less fits your shooting better at 50 yards...well sounds like a good excuse to buy another Excal to me :mrgreen:
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have a 335 Micro, a 355 Matrix and just recently a Matrix 380... For the ranges you mentioned :shock: unless your up in a tight treestand or small pop-up blind ? I would be happy with your 380 and save your money for a quality scope and a Munch Mount.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

You already have the speed you need for the shots your willing to take. In my opinion your just handicapping yourself by dropping down to the Micro 355. 25 fps is a lot of speed to give up.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

In terms of arrow performance you will not lose much going to the Micro 355. You will gain a bow that is much more compact and easy to handle. I have listed some arrow performance stats for each bow and as you can see not much is lost going to the Micro 355.

Based on a 350gr arrow shot at a target 40 yards away.

Matrix 380
Arrow drop 21"
Speed 361fps
KE 101

Micro 355
Arrow drop 23"
Speed 337fps
KE 88

However for very long range shooting the 380 has better stats. With that said @ normal hunting ranges out to 40 yards the difference is negligible.

Good luck with your purchase and post some pics if you buy a Micro 355....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

You know it is funny reading the replies to your thread...everyone is talking about what you will lose :? ....Basically there is NOTHING to be gained over the 380. As I re-think this...you are just regressing with nothing to gain by going down to the 355.

I think calling the weaker sibling a "Micro" is a silly notion. Kind of wasiting the title if you ask me :roll: ...is 0.7 lbs and 2" really enough to suggest that one bow is worth losing the good stuff??....I think NOT! :lol: That is half the length of a finger!! Micro??? yeah that is what you gain... a microscopic amount of nothing :lol: :lol:

This isn't going to make it easier to shoot from a stand or drag though the brush...just not enough reduction in size and weight to justify losing the good stuff...

If you have an extra Grand laying around...buy a huge pile of great arrows, points, scopes, cameras, accessories, or deer stuff.....maybe a hunting trip??? You already have the best bow Excalibur makes...I would just use that money to make your 380..even better!! :mrgreen: Maybe even add some great memories to your trophy wall?? :mrgreen:
UWbadger1013

Post by UWbadger1013 »

@mtbighorn, what kind of scope do you use that your able to shoot so accurately at those distances? curious in your setup cuz it sounds like its a pretty sweet thing. i love the matrix 380 i got and was only considering the 355 micro since i mainly hunt in a ground blind. but if im losing a decent about a trajectory at 50 yds give or take, then i think its worth staying with the 380. If i do get a new one my current one would go to my dad which is why i have the excuse to get a new one lol. BUT with size, the micro 355 limbs are 25" wide uncocked vs 31" wide for matrix 380 is that correct??
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

UWbadger1013 wrote:thanks for the input and nice to join the forum.
how about accuracy between a micro 335/355 vs a matrix 380? and significant difference?
Having a Micro 335, as well as a Matrix 355 and 380, I can tell you accuracy with all 3 is great when your bow us set up with the correct arrow-broadhead combination. In the case with my bows it's less than a 1/2" differance between them out to 40 yards group size wise. After that I feel the flatness and speed of the arrow gives a slight advantage to the 380.

But both the Micro and the Matrix have their uses. You can feel confident which ever way you decide to go up to 40 yards. Which I consider maximum range for me ,shooting off-hand, under hunting conditions.

In my case, the speed and additional penetration becomes more important when hunting Elk.. They are "Big" and shot placement and penetration are very important IMO when it comes to the larger game animals.

I did cleanly take the bull in my avatar with a Matrix 355 on an angling shot, but without full penetration and two holes for blood loss it was tough tracking and he traveled farther than he should have. The arrow stopped just below and poking out the skin in front of the off side rear leg after entering behind left front shoulder and passing thru his body. I feel it may have gotten completely thru with a bit more UMPH, had I been using my current 380 ?

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Your worried about hunting out of a blind and having a little narrower bow. I have used my Phoenix in a blind, with no problems. I don't remember what the difference between this and a 380 or the micro, when it comes to width.
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have both but I hunt with the micro 80% of the time because I am in a tree one day and in a small ground blind the next and it just feels better to me , I could see where it would work the other way with elk though.