Offset versus Helical

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Brad32

Offset versus Helical

Post by Brad32 »

Hi all been stalking this forum for a couple of months now . just a simple question,hope someone can explain the merits of both for steering broadheads.
Cheers Brad
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Offset versus Helical

Post by Hunt it »

The terms are a bit misleading as helical is also offset but to a much greater degree. Both impart a spin on the shaft which is used to stabilize the shaft and broadhead. General theory is that the bigger the broadhead the greater the helical required to stabalize it. Close range there is not much difference between the two. Helical tends to show better results at longer distances. What target archers figured out long ago was that the greater the helical the greater the drag on the arrow thus slowing it down. Many target archers believe offset is the happy medium, but keep in mind - target archers don't use broadheads. In recent years the fletchings have gotten smaller 2" rather than 4-5" the reason for this is the shorter fletchings creates less drag and has been found to stabilize arrows just fine.
Last edited by Hunt it on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Helical gives you more rotation of your arrow than an offset. Arrows are not perfectly symmetric. So an arrow that is not perfectly straight or a broadhead that is not in the same axis of the arrow will veer off. Rotation of the arrow will compensate and keep it on track.
If you compare the two, a helical will emulate a foil more than a straight, offset vane, which is the main reason for having more rotational effect.
Last edited by Boo on Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

One thing I learned is the 4" vanes I just bought can only be fletch with an offset due to the drag on the rail if I fletch them with helical. My 2" blazers have the right helical fletch using the bolt fletcher and they are pinpoint accurate... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Post by Boo »

flhtcuse wrote:by Boo » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:43 am

Helical gives you more rotation of your arrow than a helical.

Coffee before computer issues? :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe!
Some people just like stepping on rakes