Range Finders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Range Finders

Post by Boo »

At the ATA, we looked at some rangefinders. I don't know when they changed but Bushnell's clarity is far better than they used to be and the ones we looked at used red led lighting which is far better than the gray that they used to use.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Boo wrote:At the ATA, we looked at some rangefinders. I don't know when they changed but Bushnell's clarity is far better than they used to be and the ones we looked at used red led lighting which is far better than the gray that they used to use.
But it still isn't illuminated you can't view it in the dark, the Leica is viewable in total darkness, not that we use them then but red or black if it isn't illuminated its like a scope reticle, but you can do your ranging to targets before leagal hunting time,,,, and the best Bausch and Lomb won't beat the brightness or how sharp the Leica glass is!.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Really like the input you guys are giving me, thanks 2 thumb up!
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Boo

Post by Boo »

wildcatter wrote:
Boo wrote:At the ATA, we looked at some rangefinders. I don't know when they changed but Bushnell's clarity is far better than they used to be and the ones we looked at used red led lighting which is far better than the gray that they used to use.
But it still isn't illuminated you can't view it in the dark, the Leica is viewable in total darkness, not that we use them then but red or black if it isn't illuminated its like a scope reticle, but you can do your ranging to targets before leagal hunting time,,,, and the best Bausch and Lomb won't beat the brightness or how sharp the Leica glass is!.
I have a Rangemaster 1200 and I can agree with you on optical quality. However, the Bushnell rangefinders that I looked at had really good clarity and brightness and did have illuminated red LCD readouts. If it didn't, it sure looked like it did.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Interesting. Just looked at a PDF manual. Apparently not all of the readout is illuminated
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

ihunt wrote:I forgot to mention reason why I would like a range finder is for hunting mainly deer hunting.

Without a rangefinder hunting Buck you will stink up your area marking your yards on Publicland that is receiving heavy pressure now with lack of deer do to the Doe killing here in pa..On privateland you do not need it as much but is must on publicland..

Range should be about 35 yards max for kill zone so mark a stone or flower or limb at 40 and use your 20 yard line only sighted in at 25/30 dead and you are set to go ....

A plain cheap second hand rangefinder is all I would get and lots of deals on forums ...Mine is Bushnell and I have binos from 1971 from Bushnell that are real good also..
Last edited by sproulman on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Yep Boo, I am a real tightwad, I looked at about everything out there, the zeiss was close, but the Leupold and Vortex were not even in the same league, and the Swarovski was bit it is big and cumbersome, everything else was just same ole same ole like I had been using fer years, with Bushnell and Nikon.

I talked to Vortex last week before I popped fer a new Viper PST 1-4x24 with a 30mmm tube fer a new custom crossbow I am working on,,, and he said they have just released a ne rangefinder and it is a huge upgrade from what they had before,,,, but to date,,, the Leica was the absolute best all round quality in the sleekest easy to use package of everything out their. If you never used Leica optical products you have no idea what is top quality, and the 1000R is a steel at $440.00!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

When we buy new truck and see what its worth 5 years later I can see reason to spend a lot say for rangfinder etc..I am doing same thing at my age ..Buying best fishing rods and boots ,bought best beretta shotgun and Franchi al48 for grouse....Donating to good causes..I saw many friends end of in nursing homes going thru 160,000.00 yearly of their saving so I am spending my retirement..

next is grouse trip to maine to Libby camp and phez hunt in so.dakota....Maybe another Small Munsterlander pup ...
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

To the original question, the Simmons has a nice crisp display, but lacks decent optics. If you are buying a rangefinder for the optics, you may be disappointed. I am pretty sure my first Bushnell had plastic lenses, but then I didn't buy it for looking at things, I bought it for ranging things.
Couldn't stress enough how important angle compensation is at archery range shots, did a lot of testing on the differences in ranges from line of sight rangefinders and angle compensation, it explained a few "less than desirable" shots.
My only issue with my Leopold is it has a fixed zoom, that can make it hard to find and range a target when it is very close, sometimes all I see is brown. As mentioned above, Leopold is far from top of the line when it comes to optics, but I rifle hunt almost daily, so some of the features were things I needed, or just wanted. Made me a better shot just by giving me numbers I would have no other way of knowing. But for dedicated archery, I would avoid the Leopold if I could. Popping a coyote at 500 yards is a walk in the park utilizing the information that it displays though, and the zoom is nice for that kind of stuff.
If you go without a RF with angle compensation it works well to range things on the ground prior to climbing, numbers seem to work out better that way.
I have had both rangefinders in the original post, both worked equally well, with the Simmons having a much crisper display. I liked the Bushnell due to it being able to be used with the RF mount from Excalibur, I enjoyed that a whole lot after some modifications, awesome for spot and stalk hunting.
In the price range you spoke of, I would do the Simmons.
Good luck!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Thanks Pydpiper Nice review.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

sproulman wrote:When we buy new truck and see what its worth 5 years later I can see reason to spend a lot say for rangfinder etc..I am doing same thing at my age ..Buying best fishing rods and boots ,bought best beretta shotgun and Franchi al48 for grouse....Donating to good causes..I saw many friends end of in nursing homes going thru 160,000.00 yearly of their saving so I am spending my retirement..

next is grouse trip to maine to Libby camp and phez hunt in so.dakota....Maybe another Small Munsterlander pup ...
I'm right wit ya sproulman! My 3 son's already know, they may have to sell some guns safes er bows, (O'll come back and haunt them if they sell the custom fishing rods and super tuned reels) to pay final expenses, because there won't be a lotta cash, but they are going to have to divvy up some of the finest toys their friends only read about,,,, :wink:

Unlike trucks!! I sold my 10X50 Leica Trinovids a couple years ago and replaced them with 8X42 Zeiss Conquest HD's,,,, and stuck a few hundred dollars in my pocket!! I sold the 20 year old Leicas for more than what I paid fer em! I can't do that with my 92' Sonoma!! :wink:

Good glass is an investment,, not a purchase, cheap optics is money thrown away, you will never get it back!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I'm with the Wildcat on this subject. I bought the earlier version of the Leica and haven't regretted it a bit. I don't even carry binos anymore. The Leica has better glass and for most of my situations is perfect for ranging and glassing. Your distance readouts are not going to blind you in dim light because there is an automatic brightness setting feature.

Save. Save. Save. Then buy the best you can get your hands on. The Leica is certainly one of the best, if not top dog.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi5 wrote:I'm with the Wildcat on this subject. I bought the earlier version of the Leica and haven't regretted it a bit. I don't even carry binos anymore. The Leica has better glass and for most of my situations is perfect for ranging and glassing. Your distance readouts are not going to blind you in dim light because there is an automatic brightness setting feature.

Save. Save. Save. Then buy the best you can get your hands on. The Leica is certainly one of the best, if not top dog.
I think Matt said it best when I was looking for advice on meat grinders
"Drop the dime for a GOOD one now, or run through a handful of so-so ones on your journey there. Either way you'll end up with a higher end model eventually... :wink:"
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Wildcatter is spot on no such thing as great cheap glass. I carry 10x50 Leica's when toting my LR rifle and Leica 1000yd range finder. I carry 10x25 Leica's to bow hunt. I have a pair Leitz that I gave my son 15 years ago he dropped them out of the tree into 10" of snow couldn't find them till spring :x cleaned them up and they are as bright as the day I bought them 8) Glass is a premium purchase that should last a life time. I could say the same about rain gear,, save up and by the best you can afford.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
Treed-n-Caledon

Post by Treed-n-Caledon »

I had a Bushnell with a 9volt battery (forget model) that work well, but I took it back since I found it nearly impossible to get the 9volt out without putting pressure on the battery cap and cables. I expect that I will have the RF for life or until I do something stupid to it by accident. (I know you feel that pain)

When I took it back I was able to get a Nikon ProStaff-3 with RealTree camo for under $200. (on sale from 250+tx)

Love it, very clear. Single button operation, very fast and very consistent. It seems sensitive to tall grass if I'm low on the ground, but I'd rather that than a lack of sensitivity. :)

Lots of good insight from guys with lots of experience.

Stay away from the false economy of 'cheap' as much as you can. Buy the best RF that your budget will allow and you will be happy for a long time.
Bull Dog 400 (hand modified rangefinder mount pending)
Grizzly 305
Lumenoks and heads of all sorts.

Caledon, Ontario, Canada.