Range Finders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihunt

Range Finders

Post by ihunt »

Do I really need a Range Finder is the question?

I'm looking at two makes and models both are around $160 cdn. Don't want to spend more than that maybe $200. The ones I'm looking at are the Halo 600 Laser Rangefinder and the Simmons LRF 600. Any thoughts on these models or should I look at something else?

Thanks for your input.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Sparkey

Re: Range Finders

Post by Sparkey »

I recently bought a Nikon Aculon. Picked up mine for 130. It is great. Use it hunting and golfing.
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have a simmons and a Nikon and like them both. use the Nikon for hunting , it has a faster recovery and use the simmins for the range . they are both nice.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I have the Simmons also. Never had a problem with it.Paid an extra $15 for a 3 year extended warranty. The range finder out lasted the extended warranty. The only difference between the Simmons and other range finders is Simmons is a cheaper price,and the Simmons uses a 9 volt battery where as the other range finders use a round flat battery. I have no idea on price differences in batteries or how common the flat round batteries are compared to the 9 volt.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I got a Bushnell, second one. It too uses 9 volt battery, gave the old one to the apprentice, had it for six years, maybe seven. Checked out the Simmons, almost bought it, but the deal was better for the Bushnell.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Seems like they're all good. Ah, decisions decisions :P
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I have a cheapo Simmons, paid $90 I believe it was, and for Xbow distances it works great, but for rifle using much longer distances it's not very good. My buddy has a $300 Bushnell and we tested them side by side and at short distances it gave the same results give or take a yard as the $300 range finder.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

If you use it just fer ranging the Bushnel works good in daylight fer distance reference, the image is very poor with any of the cheaper units, and it may not work at the moment of truth in early light. I used em fer about 20 years Nikon Bushnell and had one no name,,, I finally bought a 1000R Leica,,, best 440 dollars I ever spent, glass better than most binoculars,, and all but the very best scopes from the big 4, plus i can use it in total darkness none of the ones you state will work at first light, when hunting new areas.

The glass is absolutely as sharp clear and bright as my Zeiss 8x42 HD binos so now I carry one unit fer glassing and range finding, I gave up 1X as the leicas are 7x. the other thing they do is register distance well beyond there stated 1000 yards, so I have a rangefinder for anything I would ever need them for. I highly recommend, saving up and before next season getting the 1000R unit, you will also have better glass than most are using in their binoculars, they are that good!

One last thing is the lazer in the Leica is finer than any other, if you hold them steady enough you can read through small holes in the brush and read distant targets behind it. With the best angler compensation readings out there automatically after giving real distance for 3 seconds you get your shoot as distance for 3 seconds before going off!! In the long run these are a very cheap piece of equipment that does what 3 other pieces do, and it does them all better than most single units do each job!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

ihunt wrote:Do I really need a Range Finder is the question?

I'm looking at two makes and models both are around $160 cdn. Don't want to spend more than that maybe $200. The ones I'm looking at are the Halo 600 Laser Rangefinder and the Simmons LRF 600. Any thoughts on these models or should I look at something else?

Thanks for your input.
I would highly recommend a Range Finder , I use a Leupold 1000i and it does a good job , Middle of the road pricing and Leupold quality .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Do you need one..YES if you are hunting Buck and hunting public land..It is must..Go on e-bay for used ones or check the hunting classified sections here and on archery forums..I got nice bushnell that was 150 bucks for 80 bucks tyd..You do not need a expensive one your shots not exceed 35 yards ...
DMc

Post by DMc »

wildcatter wrote:....I finally bought a 1000R Leica....The glass is absolutely as sharp clear and bright as my Zeiss 8x42 HD binos so now I carry one unit fer glassing and range finding, ....recommend, saving up and before next season getting the 1000R unit, you will also have better glass than most are using in their binoculars, they are that good!...
Wow! Great review, wildcatter! Thanks, I now know what I will be saving my money for.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Sorry I'm sure the 1000R Leica is probably the best out there but it's out of my price range. Found one used at B&H for $489 us dollars and that will be a billion dollars cdn well not a billion but to way too much for me. lol

Maybe towards the end of the summer before hunting season starts I may take a look at it again. Thanks
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

I forgot to mention reason why I would like a range finder is for hunting mainly deer hunting.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

ihunt wrote:I forgot to mention reason why I would like a range finder is for hunting mainly deer hunting.
Exactly why I say save yer money,,, Cameraland has brand new salesman demos fer 440.00, Doug is a great guy to work with ya,,, I especially need mine fer deer hunting, like I said, they beat binoculars costing 1K dollars, something I use everyday in the timber, but double as a range finder also. In the dark before the deer come in with lighted LED readout!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I started with the entry level Bushnell, it worked OK. After I lost it I replaced it with the Simmons, pretty much the same ring but a vertical platform opposed to horizontal like Bushnell cheapies.
Then I picked up a Leopold RX1200, and realized what what have been missing in a rangefinder. For archery I could not imagine using a rangefinder that doesn't utilize some form of angle compensation anymore, it floored me how much of a difference it makes shooting arrows from 15' in the air. Waterproof, durable and a fine replacement for a pair of good binoculars.
After archery I program the ballistics of whatever rifle I am using, it tells me pretty much everything I could want to know, including elevation, and holdover distance for long shots.
For archery I set my bows speed in to it as well, fun for plinking and useful for hunting. I always thought that a few feet in the air wouldn't make "much of a difference" for an arrow at 30 yards, I was most certainly wrong. I am not very good at range estimation, have gotten way better over the years, but it's nice to have the confidence of knowing distance with absolute certainty, regardless of distance, elevation arrow speeds..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string