Question on what would you pay for vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Question on what would you pay for vanes

Post by Boo »

If someone came up with a vane that shot more accurately than a Blazer, would you pay more? I know how accurate Blazers are, so no comments on that.
I am looking at a vane that would give you better accuracy from 60 and well beyond (100 yards) but the price is about twice that of a Blazer.
Opinions?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ihunt

Re: Question on what would you pay for vanes

Post by ihunt »

If it's for completion yes, for hunting I doubt it I wouldn't shoot beyond 50yds, so no. The question is are you willing to pay for some that may or may not benefit what you're shooting for?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Yes, for sure. As hunters we need to stack the odds in our favour every time we can. Accuracy is a critical part of the game better accuracy equals less likely hood of wounding the game we pursue. Most of us have 2-3 grand in equipment in our hands and packs while hunting. What's another 20-30 bucks a year in vanes. Most hunters be lucky to use up a dozen arrows every 2-3 years. Now the die hards on here are not the average Hunter either and I'd assume a die hard shooter/ Hunter would not be too concerned about cost of vanes overall. I'd pay 3 times the price of Blazers if they work like you say Don. Don't sell them all before I see you.
Last edited by Hunt it on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I think if a guy that wants to shoot that far and wants to be accurate he would spend the extra cash. for me I will stick to the blazers. they shoot just fine for me JMO
W.M.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hunt it wrote:Yes, for sure. As hunters we need to stack the odds in our favour every time we can. Accuracy is a critical part of the game better accuracy equals less likely hood of wounding the game we pursue. Most of us have 2-3 grand in equipment in our hands and packs while hunting. What's another 20-30 bucks a year in vanes. Most hunters be lucky to use up a dozen arrows every 2-3 years. Now the die hards on here are not the average Hunter either and I'd assume a die hard shooter/ Hunter would not be too concerned about cost of vanes overall. I'd pay 3 times the price of Blazers if they work like you say Don. Don't sell them all before I see you.
Dave, I wholeheartedly agree. If I can get 1/2" at 50 yards with broadheads, I'd pay 3X as well. Right now, I'm getting 1" at 50 yards with G5 Strikers.
It's the cheapest part of an arrow, yet it might be the most critical part.
I have some in my possession so you can have some so I can get some feed back.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Great Don, as stated the vanes at whatever cost would be the cheapest part of the equation other than perhaps the glue! If a particular vane delivers optimal accuracy at 80-90-100 yards just look at how much better it will be at 30-40-50 yards. As for broadheads, I have tried a lot and also choose the G5 Striker 100 gr as the most accurate so far out of our 380's.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:... I am looking at a vane that would give you better accuracy from 60 and well beyond (100 yards) but the price is about twice that of a Blazer.
Opinions?
Hell Yeah!! If these vanes can actually improve things to the point you are suggesting Boo, I would be more than interested! Of course I''d have to have them sent to Big John and request another order to test them out. But, that said, I would be willing once this moving thing is out of our way! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I would. I paid more for a new style to try them out. I haven't had any issues at all with Blazers, just curious to see if it's possible to improve. I can't report on their effectiveness yet...I just fletched them last night.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

IronNoggin wrote:
Boo wrote:... I am looking at a vane that would give you better accuracy from 60 and well beyond (100 yards) but the price is about twice that of a Blazer.
Opinions?
Hell Yeah!! If these vanes can actually improve things to the point you are suggesting Boo, I would be more than interested! Of course I''d have to have them sent to Big John and request another order to test them out. But, that said, I would be willing once this moving thing is out of our way! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I love it Nog! My sentiments. Twice pennies is still not much money.
munch

Post by munch »

don i dont do much shooting its more just hunting for me but i would be interested .any time frame. i just got a couple dozen executioners for this fall but will hold off fletching them if you may have these by mid summer
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Possum

Post by Possum »

Short answer, YES! As someone else has a ready stated, have more than 3 grand in crossbow equipment so what's few extra dollars if it means better arrow flight and stabiliztion?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
Boo

Post by Boo »

FYI.
Blazers are 2" and weigh 6.3 gr
SK 200s are 2" and weigh 4.8 gr
SK 300s are 3" and weigh 7.1 gr

Blazers are dead flat but textured and have an abrupt leading edge. Both of these features help guidance.
SKs are lower profile and are tapered. They are decidely more stiff than Blazers.

Paulaboutform recently shot them so I'll see if I can get him to comment. He's working his butt off and really tired, plus he has some things going on. So I don't know if he'll have the time or inclination.
Diesel has also used them as well.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Waiting on Paul :mrgreen:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Oh ya I am interested. I like to upgrade when the next best thing comes out... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Post by Boo »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Oh ya I am interested. I like to upgrade when the next best thing comes out... :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Like a Bulldog? :mrgreen: