Mirco 335 arrow length?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihunt

Mirco 335 arrow length?

Post by ihunt »

To keep the HIJACK POLICE happy :D I'm posting my question here.

My Mirco 335 came with stock 16.5" bolts does it make any difference if I use 18" or longer bolts? Would I notice any improvements in accuracy, groupings, distance etc?
I'm new at this and I'm trying to understand. Boo states in another thread, that I asked a question in which coincide with the topic but the hijack police didn't like my question, about too long sticking beyond stirrup that I can understand, so what length is best for my Xbow?

Thanks
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Big John

Re: Mirco 335 arrow length?

Post by Big John »

Longer arrows than what accompany your new bow are fine to use. There is a limit to that though, as you may be aware, any more than a few inches longer will be very obstructive and even a little dangerous. But, using 20"in. would even be fine. As well, using a little shorter is also fine. If your arrows are built well, and matched nicely in weight,, you will have very good accuracy.
In my 335 I only use 15-3/4"in. arrows, then I add a 1/4"in. Lumenok for a 16"in. finish arrow. These are extremely accurate out to 70 yds. So I could see no need for a longer arrow. Again, on other bows, stronger, using the same arrow length that accompanies the bow, I've made arrows that fly dead accurate out past 100yds.
So, I would keep my arrows inside the stirrup to avoid any obstructions or bumping of the arrow. And I would still know that a properly built arrow, of size recommended, will be deadly accurate out to great distances.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Thanks Big John for posting I respect your opinion and suggestions. :D

Where I live the regulations states
"The bolt must have a length of at least 40 cm (16 in.), including the tip".
So mine are 16.5" without tip, I'm guessing they are talking about field point, broad head etc as tip, will be in the 18' range with tip?
I'm I correct? In other words notch, shaft and 'hunting' broad head total length would be around 18"? So when folks here say they have 20 inches is it with or without the 'tip'?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Tom

Post by Tom »

Generally in the archery world, when you speak of an "arrow length" it is the Arrow without any tips. But hunting Regulations are different, they want their "Arrow Length" to be the total length, which includes everything from the nock to the tip of the head.
"The bolt must have a length of at least 40 cm (16 in.), including the tip"
They include the mention "including the tip" so there is no confusion. Different hunting heads will be at varying lengths which makes arrows become different in total length because of different head lengths.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Tom wrote:Generally in the archery world, when you speak of an "arrow length" it is the Arrow without any tips. But hunting Regulations are different, they want their "Arrow Length" to be the total length, which includes everything from the nock to the tip of the head.

Tom
Thanks Tom
Much clearer now.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I used 15" on my 335 Micro, lights out at 50 yards!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

xcaliber wrote:I used 15" on my 335 Micro, lights out at 50 yards!
15" ? I have to measure my rail to see if that will fit that short of an arrow? :P
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

It will, I used that length to accommodate NAP Thunder Heads for hunting, and they were spot on. I was using 92 grain inserts, and 100 grain heads, aluminum rear nocks! The aluminum rear nocks from Black Eagle have a radius on the nock that prevents damage to your strings serving, just don't shoot at the same dot!
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

xcaliber wrote:It will, I used that length to accommodate NAP Thunder Heads for hunting, and they were spot on. I was using 92 grain inserts, and 100 grain heads, aluminum rear nocks! The aluminum rear nocks from Black Eagle have a radius on the nock that prevents damage to your strings serving, just don't shoot at the same dot!
Just went to Thunder Heads website nice look'in BH. Thanks for input :D
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I keep trying to get a better broadhead, and always go back to them. They work, and never let me down.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Borkholder Archeary made me following for my Micro 335..18 inch GT laser 525 ballistic arrows with 110 gr front brass inserts,plastic rear nock and 2 inch blazer vanes...with spitfires on arrow at 100 grs they do stick out past the end of riser...arrow weight is 395 ..He made them this way for better FOC and still be able to use Quill arrows at 401 grains for practice....He [brian] has video on YouTube AT 50 Yards shooting Quill arrows and his arrows and difference.......Most here use shorter arrow inside stirrup and are very good too ...
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

sproulman wrote:Borkholder Archeary made me following for my Micro 335..18 inch GT laser 525 ballistic arrows with 110 gr front brass inserts,plastic rear nock and 2 inch blazer vanes...with spitfires on arrow at 100 grs they do stick out past the end of riser...arrow weight is 395 ..He made them this way for better FOC and still be able to use Quill arrows at 401 grains for practice....He [brian] has video on YouTube AT 50 Yards shooting Quill arrows and his arrows and difference.......Most here use shorter arrow inside stirrup and are very good too ...
Do you have a link to the youtube vid?
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

ihunt wrote:
sproulman wrote:Borkholder Archeary made me following for my Micro 335..18 inch GT laser 525 ballistic arrows with 110 gr front brass inserts,plastic rear nock and 2 inch blazer vanes...with spitfires on arrow at 100 grs they do stick out past the end of riser...arrow weight is 395 ..He made them this way for better FOC and still be able to use Quill arrows at 401 grains for practice....He [brian] has video on YouTube AT 50 Yards shooting Quill arrows and his arrows and difference.......Most here use shorter arrow inside stirrup and are very good too ...
Do you have a link to the youtube vid?
micro 335 custom arrows by borkholder archery in youtube search should get you there...He tests lot of bows with custom arrows...A half doz was 78 dollars with shipping ..