Final Prep: Sighting In W/Bolts & Broadheads?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Re: Final Prep: Sighting In W/Bolts & Broadheads?

Post by IronNoggin »

All my arrows come from Big John.
To date, now counting into the dozens, I have NEVER had a Flyer.
They simply Shoot Very Well.

I do test each one with field points, and NEVER aim at the same bullseye (for obvious reasons!).

When it comes time to test broadheads, I pick up one extra package of three.
These are then run through all the arrows I will be using that fall. Using Spitfires, I have never had to adjust the scope much. They fly extremely close to the field points. These are shot at ranges from 20 to 90 yards. Not that I will be shooting at critters that far off, but it sure is a Confidence Builder to see them group very well at those extended ranges. :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Great post to the op and awesome info from all the fellas contributing this will help me and alot of others as well I'm sure.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I shoot regular 1.5 in. cut crossbow spitfires. I shoot each arrow @ 20/30/ and 40 yds. I cull the flyer's then repeat with a spitfire practice head.
My regular heads alway's shoot within a half inch or less, usually less of the practice head. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

elknut wrote:What's a good broadhed target?
I have found the Rinehart 18-1 to be excellent for broadheads. That is all i use when shooting that target these days.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

IronNoggin wrote:All my arrows come from Big John.
To date, now counting into the dozens, I have NEVER had a Flyer.
They simply Shoot Very Well.

I do test each one with field points, and NEVER aim at the same bullseye (for obvious reasons!).

When it comes time to test broadheads, I pick up one extra package of three.
These are then run through all the arrows I will be using that fall. Using Spitfires, I have never had to adjust the scope much. They fly extremely close to the field points. These are shot at ranges from 20 to 90 yards. Not that I will be shooting at critters that far off, but it sure is a Confidence Builder to see them group very well at those extended ranges. :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

I use only 1 Quill arrow for practice with field point on it..Then before Buck season I shoot 2 of my custom arrows with SPITFIRE 100 gr practice points on arrows and sight in at 25 yds dead..I DO NOT use the yards measurements on scope I use the 20 yd one ONLY.it is good out to 40 yds ..

I never use my hunting points only on Buck never at practice this may seem wrong but I trust my Spitfire practice points to hit same point as my hunting spitfires ...I may do test this summer shooting practice/hunting spitfires to see if there is POI difference....
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

TheBig1 wrote:Kegbelly, how do you sharpen your broadheads? I am shooting Ramcats.
Not Keg but........... for my Slick Tricks I just run them over a strop that I made (piece of rough leather glued to a 2x2). I use Herb's Yellowstone stropping compound. I clamp them in my Lansky clamp to help keep a good angle. Usually a few strokes is all it takes - but like I said, the Rinehart does not dull them much if at all.

I tried sharpening some RamCat blades last year but it was more difficult. I tried on a work sharp. No joy with the work sharp. If I come up with an acceptable way this summer I'll let you know. For now I just have a bunch of extra blades for the RamCats
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks Keith, I appreciate it. I'll have to invest in a Rinehart target. I have a Block target that I've shot up and is falling apart after only a few months of shooting.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

nchunterkw wrote:
TheBig1 wrote:Kegbelly, how do you sharpen your broadheads? I am shooting Ramcats.
Not Keg but........... for my Slick Tricks I just run them over a strop that I made (piece of rough leather glued to a 2x2). I use Herb's Yellowstone stropping compound. I clamp them in my Lansky clamp to help keep a good angle. Usually a few strokes is all it takes - but like I said, the Rinehart does not dull them much if at all.

I tried sharpening some RamCat blades last year but it was more difficult. I tried on a work sharp. No joy with the work sharp. If I come up with an acceptable way this summer I'll let you know. For now I just have a bunch of extra blades for the RamCats
I tried to get Razor sharp edge on my spitfires using Lansky but it failed they got worst ..Anyone have idea without buying more stuff how to get sharp edge on the Spitfire blades?Maybe you cannot do it?I know a very fine quality file used to put one heck of sharp edge on our fred bear points and zewickys...
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

ON my Lansky if I try for the smallest angle I never get good results on anything. Did you try it at the 25 degree setting? That is plenty sharp for BHs IMO
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

Being a rookie at archery I don't know if my method is worth mentioning but this is what I do.

I have 3 broadheads (100 grain NAP thunderheads) just for target shooting I store them in my broadhead box with different inserts holding them together so I can tell them apart for the hunting ones.

I shot all of my broadheads at 30 yards with known good shafts once to check for bad broadheads (2 were fliers with one destroyed and one damaged) the rest were put in the broadhead case with either a hunting insert or target insert. the least accurate got target inserts. the hunting broadheads are never shot again except at game.

When I practice I shoot the field points for most of the session and switch over to target broadheads for the last third of the session.

I shoot all of my shafts with 100 grain field points and reject any fliers (none yet). once I am satisfied I that the Crossbow and bolts are accurate I pick 4 of the best and put tested broadheads on them either for target or hunting. Any bolt that went for a flier or was struck by and another bolt (almost robin hood) is marked and carefully inspected and bend tested to ensure it is still safe. any bolts that I pull the inserts out of are set aside inspected and bend tested then repaired and test shot for accuracy (so far almost all of my bolts have lost the rear insert and one the front insert. I shoot the factory firebolts).

Just before season I select my best bolts and mate them up with checked broadneads (looking for damage, sharpness and assembly errors) and they stay in the quiver for the season. I re-tighten the broadheads the night before a hunt and carry a broadhead key with me in the field.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks Cadmaster, good info there.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Eck

Post by Eck »

nchunterkw wrote:ON my Lansky if I try for the smallest angle I never get good results on anything. Did you try it at the 25 degree setting? That is plenty sharp for BHs IMO
That was my experience as well. 25 degrees seemed to work the best. I've heard that the Lansky diamond hones are the ones to use; I used regular stones last year, and did OK. I did get a diamond kit at a swap meet, but haven't tried them yet.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

A Ready Edge carbide sharpener works great on most replaceable blades. Couple of strokes and good as new.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Im a lifelong (till now) cut on contact broadhead user in my longbow days i swore by the simmons shark.Now in my crossbow days i have found the spitfire to fly exactly as my field points time after time i just shoot the bolt with a field point to verify its impact put on a spitfire spin test and it goes in the quiver in these days of work and buisiness work kids etc. One thing i dont have to worry about. I really like the ram cat i shot it it flys true and one member here killed a buffalo with it but in reality its blades are more chinsy than a spitfire. I wont use a chinese product even though its good. (Stubborn i guess)I like the slick trick but it always seems to shoot an inch to the left,no big deal but if i can shoot a head that shoots exactly as my field points and has never let me down i wont change. In the end at least we all care enough to be concerned about the game we all hunt rather than going to walmart n screwin on a random head as some do. Thats whats inportant!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I don't recall the brand names but I have a couple really old broadhead sharpeners that fit over your knuckles. Not fancy or high tech but they work well on the Stingers I shoot.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers